• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Stage Lighting Simulator

Burbs

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Iron Gwazi
Does anyone know if there's any websites which have online stage lighting simulators where you can set up lights and operate them?

I'm lighting panto this year and would like to see how my initial ideas look. It would need to be free! Thanks!

Diogo is your man for lighting, he may have some ideas. Or there are a few people who seem to work around musical theatre etc on the forum so they may know. I don't but good luck, never heard of anything like this, probably a good job, I'd spend hours playing with them to my music :D

I like the idea of something like this, but I doubt there is anything, Unlike Diogo, I don't have a massive lighting rig in my living room.

There are plenty of different visulisor programs. The industry standard is WYSIWYG, but that costs megabucks. A lot of lighting desk companies have free versions designed to work with their desks. Some of them even have iOS apps to remote control the desks!

I don't know of an online version of what you are looking for, but there should be some freebie downloads. Just depends what you want it to do. A lot of them still need control software (desk emulators) to make anything happen though.

I'll ask the guys at work tonight if they have any ideas.

Well the board I use IRL is the Showtec Showmaster 48 (don't laugh, if it was my choice we'd be using ETC IONs), so do you know if there's anything that comes with that?

Not off the top of my head. I'm generally a Compulite / Avo guy myself... Well, anything but an ETC Congo really. *shudders*

I'm on an overnight shift tonight (NFL live on C4), so I'll have plenty of time to waste looking stuff up. ;)

EDIT: @Dan has a program called Show Xpress that he sometimes plays about with. It's not the best, but it's free and has a simple "what's it gonna look like" program with it. But it's more for waving beams about than the subtlties of light and shade.

Not off the top of my head. I'm generally a Compulite / Avo guy myself... Well, anything but an ETC Congo really. *shudders*

I'm on an overnight shift tonight (NFL live on C4), so I'll have plenty of time to waste looking stuff up. ;)

EDIT: @Dan has a program called Show Xpress that he sometimes plays about with. It's not the best, but it's free and has a simple "what's it gonna look like" program with it. But it's more for waving beams about than the subtlties of light and shade.
Ooh, where can I get that program?

Edit: I've just found it actually, gonna have a play around with it tonight. :)

Edit 2: Even though I can't work out how to use it... or even install it!

Last edited:
I love theatrical lighting.

If only I had some lights to fiddle with. :(