• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Stargazing Pods

I know you like to be positive Matt, but come on! If this accommodation was dirt cheap (which it is not) then I would be more inclined to agree with you. However the price is still a premium, and towels are the least you would expect after a bed.

Having stayed in more than a few "budget" type hotels in both this country & France, I have never been charged for towels. Many of the said budget type hotels don't even take a credit card hold at check-in either.

Towers should include the towels for free for the Sheds and just deduct a fee from your £50 credit card hold for any that you decide to "liberate".

The towel fee is all the more laughable as the queues to use them / get them wet in the facilities block are clearly going to be stupid during the morning rush.

The only place I had to pay for towels (and bedding) was a god awful Pontins camp I stayed in Blackpool for a stag party many years ago. Now bear in mind we only paid about £20 each to stay in the caravan. However, when paying £120+ per night to stay in a shed, I would expect there to be towels provided.

If each pod was say £20 per person then maybe it would be more acceptable.

If each pod was say £20 per person then maybe it would be more acceptable.

Exactly. They are trying to push this as more of a camping like option with basic accommodation, shared facilities and various upcharges yet they are not charging camping like prices to stay in them. The price is still a premium. The product is far from a premium.

I wouldn't even stay in one of these things if I was offered a free stay. I'd rather drive the hour home, get a good nights sleep whereby I don't have to cross a field in the dark to go to the toilet or pay to use my towel, and then drive the hour back the next morning. And that is no exaggeration.

Get an estate car and chuck a mattress in the back. Sorted.

Better year, Ford Transit with bunk beds. Park in the car park and charge people less. You could even offer a free shuttle service to the park entrance and back.

I’d much rather drive down the road for a cheaper and better premier inn or Travelodge. There are also several good Airbnb options in the area for a fraction of the price, and you get a full house never mind a towe’

I can't believe Alton are somehow messing this up. Cheap, budget accommodation can work at theme parks - as we see at the likes of Heide-Park and Europa-Park. However...

• The way these pods have been arranged is far too packed in and it genuinely looks like a pig farm. This isn't hyperbole. It just looks rubbish.
  • You either offer all or nothing. Offer bed linen, pillows and towels or nothing. And, if you choose to offer nothing, you charge less. That said, the cost of these pods is far, far too high as it is. They should be £99 at the peak.
  • The name/branding is totally wrong. You cannot see the stars neither does the resort have its own constellations.
  • They have already said there'll be little to no theming, so it's not like we can all wait with baited breath.
  • They say single and double beds. Those are not single beds. They are thinner.
  • Cuts have already been made. Checking at TTQ? So we can observe the abandoned high ropes course as we arrive! What the hell?
They could have made this work but they are totally messing it up.

I can't believe Alton are somehow messing this up. Cheap, budget accommodation can work at theme parks - as we see at the likes of Heide-Park and Europa-Park.

Be interesting to have a list of all the theme parks that have a camping style accommodation option, purely because I wonder if it's a cultural thing that would make such things a success...

I cannot imagine there being a great demand of people in the UK wanting to camp at a theme park...

Be interesting to have a list of all the theme parks that have a camping style accommodation option, purely because I wonder if it's a cultural thing that would make such things a success...

I cannot imagine there being a great demand of people in the UK wanting to camp at a theme park...
I don't think it's really a cultural thing. Camping is popular across Europe, although on the continent facilities seem to be much better. I have no doubt that if they simply allowed camping and touring with basic facilities it would be very successful. The difference here is that they are trying to please the Hotel types which just wont work IMO.

You'd think at the VERY LEAST the people planning this project would have headed over to a place like Europa Park and taken inspiration before calling in the architects. This project is obviously just to appease shareholders who are probably very nervous of their investment in the company.

Will Alton Towers' development look anywhere near this standard? Simply not.

Two dining options, indoor and outdoor seating, indoor and outdoor entertainment, campfires and bathroom facilities:
camp_resort_saloon_terrasse_see_200517.jpg

Multiple Tipi sizes and colours:
camp_resort_tipizelt_luft_03_200517.jpg

A closer look at the Tipi area of the camp:
camp_resort_tipizelt_01_200517.jpg

Chuck Wagons are also available for a small surcharge (c€2pppn extra):
camp-resort_planwagen-02.jpg

Log Cabins sleep between 4 and 12 guests and are also a small surcharge (c €2pppn):
camp-resort_blockhaus-02.jpg

Not shown:

• Bucking Bronco attraction
  • Outdoor horse stunt show arena
  • Large play area
  • Camping area
  • Caravan area
  • Shuttle to the park
  • Cash point, shop and reception area
  • Takeaway pizza and drinks kiosk

Last edited:
Worth noting the extra charges for towels isn’t new for Merlin, the “Standard” tents at Chessington also charge along with tents at Warwick Castle.

Still disgusting though given how much the sheds cost.

Last edited:
I should point out, EP do not offer bed linen of any kind at their Camp Resort (you get a pillow, fitted sheet etc.). However, the cost is somewhat lower and facilities better.

Reactions: pj
I still don't understand why Car park G is not being used for this or any other development. They could have extended the Caribbean theme of Splash created a Surf beach area around a small blue lake. These pods along board walk ways and a small entertainment space with even a small fast food style restaurant (nandos style?) Heck, they could have even put an up charge surf machine in there!

It's really been the cheapest possible option to get the key numbers up. :(

Wanna dry your sack and crack before a heavy day on the park? It'll cost you a tenner. :) (Image Credit @AstroDan )

52043240_341227746490265_4643827698244780032_n.jpg
To be fair, i'm sure they will be the ultimate towels and very probably every towel you've ever dreamed of rolled into one.

They could be the world's first (insert as applicable) towel.

Perhaps the towels will be ground breaking in some way.

Either way, keep smiling!