• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Stargazing Pods

The original layout was far superior. This isn't really my kind of accommodation, however I find this design more attractive...

tumblr_pcy40yESYg1tbddkyo2_1280.jpg

Original Design

To this design...
tumblr_pcy40yESYg1tbddkyo1_1280.jpg

Revised Design

Which looks like hell.

Losing the near enough central changing facilities, the second reception building, the F&B units, the arcade, and looking like staff areas are lost too... it's a bit of a shame. I imagine 'The Village Green' could have served as a great central hub for the entire village, arcade for the kids (or adults), outdoor entertainment, F&B units serving drinks and BBQ type foods for the summer months, could be a great environment and something different for guests. Some of this still may come to fruition so I'm keeping an open mind for now. However at the moment, for me, this is the most unexciting development at Towers for a long time.

I don't understand why they changed the design, what was wrong with it? And how anyone could look at the revised design and say, "yeah that's better" is beyond me.
Looks like fewer roads and buildings so maybe they're reducing the budget for the project? Not sure if that is the case just my first thought when looking at the plans.

Now the reception building has been dropped where will guests check in? Not the already overcrowded and too small Enchanted Village check in area?

Just like the Towers Lawns? :)
Yeah, a bit. Maybe they could put some outdoor entertainment there, and if Merlin can't afford to put it there all the time, then maybe some entertainment just during peak periods (e.g. weekends, events and school holidays)?

I don't understand why they changed the design, what was wrong with it? And how anyone could look at the revised design and say, "yeah that's better" is beyond me.
They stated "ecological and landscape" issues for the redesign, basically they wanted it to remain more open and natural looking and minimise the development. As Matt says, hopefully they will find a creative way to utlise the green space with entertainment or activities.:)

Now the reception building has been dropped where will guests check in? Not the already overcrowded and too small Enchanted Village check in area?
Perhaps Alton Towers Hotel? I think this is where you currently check-in for the tree houses. However, long term they do need to consider having a new reception building and also expand the Crooked Spoon restuarant. ;)

I think the reason these ‘pods’ exist because camping/glamping/other such activities have been popular every where else in the world, and M£rlin want to jump on that band wagon. I already know that they have already done (Explorer Glamping at Chessie, those barrel things at Legoland) but with Alton Towers being a popular park, and Merlin knowing their accommodation encourages more people to spend more money, they have made wise choices here.
Also, I’ve noticed a big grassy patch near the changing area. Could this be used for something, maybe entertainment,a new restaurant, a check in area, or absolutely nothing at all?

I think it's starting to become more accepted that it's not really the type of accommodation that's the problem – it's the way that it's going to be implemented that is.

For a company that likes to think they are leading the world in themed accommodation, is it not fair to say that these sheds are just a little bit underwhelming? Under themed and under facilitated, the development isn't getting the money it so desperately needs – and becasue of that, these Stargazing Pods are not just going to be low quality, they are literally not going to be fit for purpose.

Last edited:
But Varney will be able to tick box and announce he was able to deliver the increase of rooms as they stated they would.

The silly thing is the first few weeks these will be snapped up by people wanting to be “first” much like those who splashed hundreds on Cbeebies and the Lego castle hotel.

There is a campsite in Cornwall, where I think the camping pods arrangement works a lot better by just having a small cluster of pods with facilities handy (see for pics).

The pods are located on a decking area and water is available in the neighbouring Utilities Pod. Each pod comes with a number of basic luxuries like kettle, fridge and TV etc. The pods share a communal Utilities Pod with bathroom facilities and a washing up area at the back of the pod. Finally, there is hot tub also located on the deck for relaxing at the end of the day.

Overall a much better experience compared with the AT plans.