• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Strange Roller Coasters

Dave said:
Some of the premier launch coaster stations do that but its because they are shuttle coasters and allows them to load one train whilst the other runs to boost throughput. God knows why they needed to add it to that coaster.
Ah yes, I remember watching the POV of Reverse Blast the other week! I still think it's quite funky! :p

Check the trains on the Riverview Silver Flash out:

PHOTO+-+CHICAGO+-+RIVERVIEW+AMUSEMENT+PARK+-+SILVER+FLASH+ROLLER+COASTER+-+AT+NIGHT+BY+PLATFORM+-+1958.jpg

Silver_Flash_Action.jpg

BlueStreakFinal.jpg

image016.jpg

5nf00oqiu0dcqm3chg28ug.jpg

According to RCDB, the ride operated from 1921 to 1967. It's name changed to Flash and then Pippin before it closed.

Crazy! :p

Haha! They've even listed it over on RCDB too! :p Would you class that as a credit though? It's a bit like classing the Butterfly slide things as coasters. :p

I get the impression that flume either needs new pumps, or a few mil chopping off the bottom of each support so it's on a steeper slope and gets more flow :p

Someone watching a new episode of MegaFactories sent this screenshot to Screamscape the other day:

db_2013_0110_VekomaUnknownLayout1.jpg

A strange new coaster layout from Vekoma! :D

BigAl said:
Someone watching a new episode of MegaFactories sent this screenshot to Screamscape the other day:

db_2013_0110_VekomaUnknownLayout1.jpg

A strange new coaster layout from Vekoma! :D

It was shown on the screen of the lead designer whilst they were interviewing him. I'd hazard a guess that he made that for fun to confuse people - they'd never show a concept design so flippantly in a documentary.

Are you sure? It looks a lot like one of the rides proposed for the Orlando Thrill Park:

Orlando-Thrill-Park.jpg

??

BigAl said:
Are you sure? It looks a lot like one of the rides proposed for the Orlando Thrill Park:

Orlando-Thrill-Park.jpg

??

I would have presumed so, but hasn't that park been cancelled anyway?

BigAl said:
Yes it has. So who is this ride for? Interesting! :p

I don't know. It does look a bit odd though, there doesn't seem to be much space for the station and that loop looks far too wide.

It looks like it takes inspiration from the old travelling Schwarzkopf coasters. Could be a good thing, but you never know! :p

That first coaster Diogo posted actually looks amazing! So long and kinda well-themed. It looks like a proper adventure too - it's like the Ultimate or The Beast for kids! :D

Check out the Tornado at Stricker's Grove, operating since 1993:

6s4000a3peq17e8289g0a6.jpg

nlmbmg9ri8i2fg2hk002gu.jpg

mnur84tp0kb8018q0018g5.jpg

Looks normal enough right? Well it's strange because it's only open to the public for four days a year. It's located at Stricker's Grove, a theme park that is shut for the vast majority of the time. The park is available for private hire but only open to the public on the 4th of July, the second Sunday in August (Family Day), Labor Day, and a Sunday in October called "Customer Appreciation Day".

Still, I bet it gets through more riders per year than G-Force. ;)

Is that the one with grass growing through the bottom of it, or am I thinking about another coaster that looks very similar? :p

I can't get over the fact it's only open to the public four days a year

Sam said:
Looks normal enough right? Well it's strange because it's only open to the public for four days a year. It's located at Stricker's Grove, a theme park that is shut for the vast majority of the time. The park is available for private hire but only open to the public on the 4th of July, the second Sunday in August (Family Day), Labor Day, and a Sunday in October called "Customer Appreciation Day".

Still, I bet it gets through more riders per year than G-Force. ;)

I found this fascinating Sam, reading a bit more into it, it's a private park that was built on private land. Here is some history:

Stricker’s Grove was started in 1924 in Mt. Healthy, Ohio by Henry Stricker on 55 acres of property. Henry worked at Procter and Gamble and fellow workers asked if they could come out on weekends to picnic and enjoy the countryside. Henry planted three apple orchards on the property and people would picnic among the groves of trees, thus, the name Stricker’s Grove. Henry Stricker raised chickens for a hobby so when a dance hall was eventually added, it was built with the intention that it could be converted into a chicken coop if the park failed. In the 1940’s, a pony cart ride was added as well as a small horse and pony track. In 1954, the first mechanical rides were added which were the boats, rockets and a ferris wheel.

Continued...

Screamscape confirmed today that the Vekoma design I shared on here yesterday was indeed what was the "Pretzel Dive" coaster that was meant for the Orlando Thrill Park. However, it's now apparently going to the Great Mall of China, along with a Vekoma Motorbike coaster and then eventually a Premier LSM coaster.

:)