Strange Roller Coasters

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by RyanY, 12th Jun 2012.

1. BigAl

BigAl TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Addicted to crappy Asian costers once more and now I've found these two beauties from China's Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljiJz4Y23v8&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Pain around every corner! The whole ride just screams "SAFE" to me! Also loving the music playing in the station, although I'm uncertain whether it suits the theme of the ride or not. :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc2mU1X0mg8[/youtube]

The tilted section on the first drop, weird spine, the section after the drop where the track attempts to straighten out before the hill, entrance into the double corkscrew, flat section before the hill that comes after the double corkscrew section and the section before the loop look like pure evil!

2. RyanY

RyanY TowersStreet Member

For how awful that batman looks, it has to be said it does look quite well themed. :p

But that Atomic coaster honestly looks like someone first attempt at No Limits. That entrance into the corkscrews! :eek:

3. Nick

Nick TowersStreet Member

Atomic Coaster is just a absolute joke. I mean, it's failed at all the fundamentals for NL- not to mention in real life.

Too much roll on the bends, the entrance to the corkscrew's are just a joke, a uncountable amount of pumps and several failures at the tunnel test- have you seen the supports near the dive loop, they look very very close. Not to mention how slow it goes around, lack of decent pacing and awful layout. On the first drop, I'm not sure how the car managed to avoid hitting the supports.

Tear it down.

4. Spark

Spark TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I'd love to ride some of these beasts lol

5. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    Re: Re: Strange Roller Coasters

Well, a credit's a credit. ;)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

6. Adam James

Adam James TS Contributor

Favourite Ride:
    Blue Fire
    This may aswell be TPR: The Thread :p

So would a copy of a Vekoma SLC - but much slower - be less of a headbanger than Infusion?

7. Martin

Martin TowersStreet Member

That Atomic Coaster doesn't look as bad as people are making out, not really much worse than your average 70s and 80s Arrow or 80s and 90s Vekoma. :p

It's even got a B&M predrop. ;)

8. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    ...over the side of the track into some hedges! :p

Compare this to Great American Scream Machine and you'll see that GASM doesn't look half as bad.

9. Bear

Bear TowersStreet Member

It is actually an Arrow/Vekoma coaster (started by Arrow, finished by Vekoma).

Nick, NoLimits key terms don't apply when it comes to real coasters I'm afraid. Calm down.

10. Martin

Martin TowersStreet Member

:D :D :D

To be fair, it was quite funny to see a real coaster critiqued like that. If he'd have mentioned 'nodes' I think I might have cried laughing.

11. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    At least it still has better heartlining than my NL coasters. :p

12. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I'm surprised this ride hasn't turned up before as it's not just 1 strange coaster but 2:

Opening in 1999 BuzzSaw Falls was one of the first Water Coasters. It was also one of only two built by Premier Rides and the only one to actually leave the track which makes it unique in its own right...

[​IMG]

...but the ride suffered technical issues and here's where things get really strange. Rather than just replace it they decided to ditch the water section and try something else that was popular at the time: a Launch Coaster.

The ride became Powder Keg: A Blast in the Wilderness. Built by S&S (so you know this is going to be strange) the only remaining part of BuzzSaw Falls seems to be the track leading up to the lift hill and the lift itself. The station also seems to be in the same place but I’m not sure if it is the same building. The launch section has been built over the former splashdown which I can only guess is still down there :p

[​IMG]
    It also looks like they borrowed a few of the old supports

But if that wasn't strange enough the ride also starts with a transfer track to get from the station to the launch track. I guess that as they built it above the former splashdown it was the only way to get between the two.

[​IMG]

If you watch a POV you can just about spot the points where the tracks change as the Premier track is Bi-rail while S&S use their standard circular spine. Besides the small amount of track they did reuse you have to wonder why they didn’t just build a new coaster from scratch. You couldn’t imagine two more different rides sharing the same RCDB page.

13. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    I've heard of Powder Keg, but I had no idea about it's history! You have to laugh.

14. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I've also just realised Powder Keg has both a lift hill and a launch. Is this the only ride to have both?

15. DiogoJ42

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    California Screaming has both, methinks.

16. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I've just taken a look and actually I have no idea if California Screamin' does or not. It has a weird sort of half lift thing midway around the course but is that a traditional lift hill or a LIM lift like Maverick? I honestly have no idea...

Lets add Screamin' to this list as well then :p
    let’s be honest it’s a steel coaster trying to be a wooden one, if that’s not strange I don’t know what is.

17. DiogoJ42

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Yeah... a "woody" with a launch and a loop! :p I can't say I approve. How ugly can it get?

18. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Th13teen has a lift (two actually) and a launch (backward). :)

19. DiogoJ42

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Do tyre drives count as launches? I suppose they must do, other wise The Hulk isn't launched.
    Add that one to the list, thinking about it. The only launched B&M.

20. Andrew

Andrew TS Contributor

Tabishka or whatever it's called in Japan has both. :)