• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Strange Roller Coasters

Addicted to crappy Asian costers once more and now I've found these two beauties from China's Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljiJz4Y23v8&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Pain around every corner! The whole ride just screams "SAFE" to me! Also loving the music playing in the station, although I'm uncertain whether it suits the theme of the ride or not. :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc2mU1X0mg8[/youtube]

The tilted section on the first drop, weird spine, the section after the drop where the track attempts to straighten out before the hill, entrance into the double corkscrew, flat section before the hill that comes after the double corkscrew section and the section before the loop look like pure evil!

For how awful that batman looks, it has to be said it does look quite well themed. :p

But that Atomic coaster honestly looks like someone first attempt at No Limits. That entrance into the corkscrews! :eek:

Atomic Coaster is just a absolute joke. I mean, it's failed at all the fundamentals for NL- not to mention in real life.

Too much roll on the bends, the entrance to the corkscrew's are just a joke, a uncountable amount of pumps and several failures at the tunnel test- have you seen the supports near the dive loop, they look very very close. Not to mention how slow it goes around, lack of decent pacing and awful layout. On the first drop, I'm not sure how the car managed to avoid hitting the supports.

Tear it down.

Re: Re: Strange Roller Coasters

Spark said:
I'd love to ride some of these beasts lol
Well, a credit's a credit. ;)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

This may aswell be TPR: The Thread :p

So would a copy of a Vekoma SLC - but much slower - be less of a headbanger than Infusion?

That Atomic Coaster doesn't look as bad as people are making out, not really much worse than your average 70s and 80s Arrow or 80s and 90s Vekoma. :p

It's even got a B&M predrop. ;)

Blaze said:
It's even got a B&M predrop. ;)

...over the side of the track into some hedges! :p

Compare this to Great American Scream Machine and you'll see that GASM doesn't look half as bad.

Blaze said:
That Atomic Coaster doesn't look as bad as people are making out, not really much worse than your average 70s and 80s Arrow or 80s and 90s Vekoma. :p

It is actually an Arrow/Vekoma coaster (started by Arrow, finished by Vekoma).

Nick, NoLimits key terms don't apply when it comes to real coasters I'm afraid. Calm down.

Bear said:
It is actually an Arrow/Vekoma coaster (started by Arrow, finished by Vekoma).
:D :D :D

Bear said:
Nick, NoLimits key terms don't apply when it comes to real coasters I'm afraid. Calm down.
To be fair, it was quite funny to see a real coaster critiqued like that. If he'd have mentioned 'nodes' I think I might have cried laughing.

I'm surprised this ride hasn't turned up before as it's not just 1 strange coaster but 2:

Opening in 1999 BuzzSaw Falls was one of the first Water Coasters. It was also one of only two built by Premier Rides and the only one to actually leave the track which makes it unique in its own right...

8ltrs00514kq3pot040v0e.jpg

...but the ride suffered technical issues and here's where things get really strange. Rather than just replace it they decided to ditch the water section and try something else that was popular at the time: a Launch Coaster.

The ride became Powder Keg: A Blast in the Wilderness. Built by S&S (so you know this is going to be strange) the only remaining part of BuzzSaw Falls seems to be the track leading up to the lift hill and the lift itself. The station also seems to be in the same place but I’m not sure if it is the same building. The launch section has been built over the former splashdown which I can only guess is still down there :p

6e0000h7ad1ssek5r107du.jpg

It also looks like they borrowed a few of the old supports

But if that wasn't strange enough the ride also starts with a transfer track to get from the station to the launch track. I guess that as they built it above the former splashdown it was the only way to get between the two.

18f5ad1ssek5s687du002h.jpg

If you watch a POV you can just about spot the points where the tracks change as the Premier track is Bi-rail while S&S use their standard circular spine. Besides the small amount of track they did reuse you have to wonder why they didn’t just build a new coaster from scratch. You couldn’t imagine two more different rides sharing the same RCDB page.

I've heard of Powder Keg, but I had no idea about it's history! You have to laugh.

I've also just realised Powder Keg has both a lift hill and a launch. Is this the only ride to have both?

DiogoJ42 said:
California Screaming has both, methinks.

I've just taken a look and actually I have no idea if California Screamin' does or not. It has a weird sort of half lift thing midway around the course but is that a traditional lift hill or a LIM lift like Maverick? I honestly have no idea...

Lets add Screamin' to this list as well then :p
let’s be honest it’s a steel coaster trying to be a wooden one, if that’s not strange I don’t know what is.

Yeah... a "woody" with a launch and a loop! :p I can't say I approve. How ugly can it get?

Do tyre drives count as launches? I suppose they must do, other wise The Hulk isn't launched.
Add that one to the list, thinking about it. The only launched B&M.