• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Strange Roller Coasters

Here's the ride on Hoei Sangyo's website. It looks like the row of seats are held either side and are free to rotate as the coaster moves, although it could be controlled (which would also probably be safer :p ).

Imagine if that thing can go upside down? It'd be odd to see the underside of the car that you're being held in. :p

That looks Mental! And I've never seen it before... Is it a test model? I'm guessing that's why they have the 4 rows across and 2 to see which runs better.

Blaze said:
Isn't that Dinocona the second S&S one? Wasn't Eejanaika built after Arrow kicked the bucket?

Dinoconda opened this year. There are only 3 listed on the RCDB.

Tim said:
Spark said:
That's a nice ride, who is it by?

S&S Arrow. It's one of Arrow Dynamics 4th dimension coasters but it's the only one to be built by S&S since Arrow went bankrupt and they sold this particular design to them.

The first 4th dimension ride was X and was while Arrow were their own company, then Eejanaika opened under S&S - as Arrow had gone bankrupt by then. Dinoconda is also a clone of Eejanaika, not X/X2.

BigAl said:
Whilst I was looking for the coaster I thought I'd seen above, I found this:

roller_coaster_08_p02.jpg

roller_coaster_08_p01.jpg

roller_coaster_08_p03.jpg

It's called the Sledgehammer (built by Hoei Sangyo) and it looks bloody terrifying! :p

That looks mental. Can anyone find a video of it? I had a quick look and couldn't...

Whilst I'm still looking for a video of some sort for that ride, I've got the data translated (if anyone cares :p ):

Planar dimensions Approximately 164m × 36m
Runway length 912m
Maximum speed 90km / h about
Capacity Organization and 24 × 2
Digestive capacity / Hour approximately 1,080 people (theoretical value)

In the meantime, I've come across this strange concept:

unicoasteride_lg.jpg

UNIC_pic01sm.jpg
UNIC_pic05sm.jpg

UNIC_pic02sm.jpg
UNIC_pic07sm.jpg

UNIC_pic03sm.jpg
unic_smalllogo.gif

billkitchen.jpg

Haha, they're that serious about it, their scale model is tested out on Barbie dolls beforehand! :p

Manufacturer's Website.

Looks like a bike wheel on the side of half a wing coaster. :p

Rollercoasters4Life said:
Tim said:
Spark said:
That's a nice ride, who is it by?
S&S Arrow. It's one of Arrow Dynamics 4th dimension coasters but it's the only one to be built by S&S since Arrow went bankrupt and they sold this particular design to them.
The first 4th dimension ride was X and was while Arrow were their own company, then Eejanaika opened under S&S - as Arrow had gone bankrupt by then. Dinoconda is also a clone of Eejanaika, not X/X2.
True but there is an extra complication. Eejanaika was apparently designed before Arrow went bankrupt so while it was opened by S&S it isn't designed by them. How can you tell? Look really close at the track and you'll notice that Eejanaika uses a double spine but Dinoconda has a single larger spine. That's why I classed this one as the only one to be built entirely by S&S.

The 4th Dimensions have a very complex past.

Now about the UniCoaster (posted above), would you like a picture of the prototype?

ChanceMorgan_Unicoaster1.gif

It's been built as a flat ride to test the concept.

Wasn't the flat previewed at an amusement event along with the coaster models? That image has reminded me of the videos on YouTube of the concept. I recall it spinning and inverting like mad! :p

Straying a bit off topic, but the Unicoaster is marketed and I assume built by Chance/Morgan. Whether this means that they have bought the design off the other firm or just the rights I don't know. I also didn't realise that like on those Gerstlauer Skyflyer things the rider controls the spin.
cr_subpage_pix_unicoaster.jpg

http://www.chancerides.com/rides/unicoaster.html

However, I can't see these having a large market as a fully fledged coaster given that they aren't that different to an Intamin ZacSpin (which shall be my contribution to this topic ;)), aside from that they are supposed to be able to corner.

I'm not so sure that these flats won't be popular. They can't be very expensive and they offer and pretty unique experience. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple in the UK, even if they do turn out to be completely diabolical! :p

BigAl said:
I'm not so sure that these flats won't be popular. They can't be very expensive and they offer and pretty unique experience. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple in the UK, even if they do turn out to be completely diabolical! :p
Oh the flats will most likely be popular, but I meant I doubt that the original idea of a fully fledged coaster would be less popular, although I doubt it will ever be put into manufacture anyway!

However, the website of the Unicoaster company (not Chance) says this
Unicoaster.com said:
SHHHHHH.....
The location of the very first UniCoaster is semi-secret. Please check back for details and announcements.
Interesting...

The concept of rider controlled spin is fascinating, as every single ride would be completely different according to how you moved it at various points. I would imagine that there would be a lot of reliability problems though, given each pod would undergo different stresses at different times and so it would be impossible to predict when maintenance would be needed. Still, I hope something like that does come over here, doesn't look too bad to me!

Am I the person who sees that and thinks of going on with someone who doesn't really like spinning rides, and just spinning the hell out of them during the ride?:p

I love the idea of the rider controlling rides. That's why I'm obsessed with the Sky Roller and Sky Fly flats from Gerstlauer that allow you to spin around during the ride. Here's the latest Sky Fly at the Legoland park in Germany:

IMG003.jpg

Below is why I love these flats...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG8u36aaW84[/youtube]

:p

You can invert nearly one hundred times during one cycle if you're mad, or just glide calmly. I think that a ride that is able to offer such a varying range of experiences is fantastic. I'd love to see such a ride over here!

As to whether it could be successful to switch the axis in which you spin and use it on not just another flat, but also a big roller coaster, I've no idea. I guess we'll soon see if there's supposed to be one being built somewhere. Good luck to whoever decided to take on the challenge! :p

Tim said:
Now about the UniCoaster (posted above), would you like a picture of the prototype?

ChanceMorgan_Unicoaster1.gif

It's been built as a flat ride to test the concept.

It's not really a new concept, I went on something very much like this about 20 years ago on holiday in Wales, probably Barry Island. It's own weight distribution and undulations would get it spinning and a guy would spin it for you as it went round, very similar to a vertical waltzer really. You could also get it moving by shifting your body weight. It really was a great ride, I hope we see this 'new' concept take off.

Just discovered this lovely looking coaster in Kathmandu Fun Park, Nepal.
292907_461030470609002_1680526881_n.jpg

:eek: A credit's a credit, but not even I'd go on that!