• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Strange Roller Coasters

JB1985 said:
I dont know what you mean, it looks a great place. Themeing and atmosphere surely rival Alton's!

http://www.rcdb.com/5664.htm?p=0

Dear God, is there seriously that little there that the photographer had to resort to uploading this..?

88eg000bodb8f1ca1vrk2o.jpg

Gate prices are cheaper.

It has longer opening hours

No height restrictions

More flat rides than Alton

Lol anymore?

Don't know how many people have read about Gerstlauer's new spinning coaster that opened at Joypolis in Japan called Veil of Dark? It looks pretty fun and it's an interesting combination of rides to make a new kind of attraction.

Guests travel though two dark ride areas inside an abandoned research facility and use seat-mounted guns to blast monsters around them and on screens. After riders have fended off the creatures, the car leaves the facility via a a tire-driven launch which sends riders spinning around into an inversion and possibly a few other bits and bobs (it's hard to tell what happens when the only thing to go off is a few images and a strange video :p )

The cars:
jqob6dp7le1id8005ling3.jpg

The launch:
9jt4qo003b5f06mcrifb23.jpg

The inversion:
c44834qo00bb1f06mcr2fb.jpg

A car passing the inversion:
capjhid8001lkng3b6dh7l.jpg

The strange video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkHccfqRPfA[/youtube]

From Gerstlauer's website:

We are just always good for a surprise! "Veil of Dark - The Shooting Coaster" the Spinning Coaster is Gerstlauer, 2012 which really excels in the shade - and head - is!

The roller coaster novelty in Japanese indoor amusement park in Tokyo Joypolis despite their mysterious name must not hide behind the veil of darkness! A total of 300 meters of track awaits the brave riders an innovative development of our spinning coaster concept. The first highlight of the system are the newly designed single cars for every four people, in which passengers can take a seat in the first two rows. Secured by comfortable shoulder strap, the exciting journey begins with a curvy dark ride through an abandoned part-research laboratory. This promoted a chain lift the vehicle on five meters before things get out of control in the laboratory!

Using a friction wheel launches the vehicle is accelerated to a speed of 38 km / h and shoots out into the atrium of the indoor amusement park. If that was not enough, here waiting for the next highlight on the passengers. The vehicle drives through a right turn, which ends in a Heartline roll. A wacky world first with incredible ride! Then round a wild mouse curve, a gyroscope and a change in direction from the trip.

Are you brave enough? "Veil of Dark - The Shooting Coaster" by Gerstlauer Amusement Rides you to the test. 2012 - Joypolis Tokyo!

Width ~ 40 m
Depth ~ 55 m
Height ~ 5 m
Rail length ~ 300 m
Gauge 800 mm
Speed ~ 38 km / h
Inversions 1
Vehicles (4 people) 5

Looks fun! :)

According to Gerstlauer it is. I certainly don't recall ever seeing a spinning coaster that can also go upside down.

From that post:
A wacky world first with incredible ride!

Unless they're talking about the combination of spinning coaster + dark ride + laser shooting + video screens + launch + inversions? Every ride you've ever dreamed of? No, but it does more than Th13teen! :p

It is several firsts. It's the first spinning coaster with an Inversion (as you said) and it's the first Roller Coaster to feature laser guns (I'm glad to see it's possible after suggesting it for SW7). And technically you can also say it's the first Roller Coaster with a Launch to feature Laser Guns and an Inversion ;)

Tim said:
It is several firsts. It's the first spinning coaster with an Inversion (as you said) and it's the first Roller Coaster to feature laser guns (I'm glad to see it's possible after suggesting it for SW7). And technically you can also say it's the first Roller Coaster with a Launch to feature Laser Guns and an Inversion ;)
Is it also the first spinning coaster where all riders are facing the same direction? Not really very marketable, but it's still a first! :p

BigDave said:
Breach of trade description there. Where is the "fun" part of fun park?

The fun is leaving the park without having to seek medical attention/

Some fresh videos from TPR of yet more weird Asian coasters...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lHO-7rAw8o[/youtube]
I be this ride has an epic capacity! :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dazLwA5yss&list=UUT-LpxQVr4JlrC_mYwJGJ3Q&index=5&feature=plcp[/youtube]
I love how at 1:02 you can see some shirts hung-up on the supports. Random. :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75wsI7-gM4&list=UUT-LpxQVr4JlrC_mYwJGJ3Q&index=6&feature=plcp[/youtube]
This probably offers more thrills than the Swarm... mainly because you don't fear for your life on the Swarm! :eek:

Edit: After a few people mentioned the old Arrow suspended prototype in the Shoutbox, I thought I'd pop back to TTF and bring across my old post containing info on it, including some other prototypes as well...

BigAl said:
I recently stumbled upon this website that has links to lots of info and resources on old coaster projects. Here are a few bits I thought were quite interesting...

The Schwarzkopf Suspended Coaster that never was:
schwarzkop_suspended.jpg

A shame they never got around to building any. Even one would have been enough! :(

A very small picture of the first concept for Jubilee Odyssey.
Odyssey_original.jpg

Apparently it was supposed to be around 260ft tall and reach speeds of 100 mph. Hmm... :/

The ArrowBATic concept:
arrowbatic1.jpg

arrowbatic2.jpg

arrowbatic3.jpg

Arrow's alternative thinking turned the wild mouse into a ride that could perform vertical drops, inversions and tighter corners.

Another one of Arrow's insane ideas:
arrow_bobsled_556.jpg

Bobsleigh? :p

And finally, here's some very old images of what Arrow wanted their Suspended Swinging coaster to do:
suspended_corkscrew_155.jpg

0.jpg

suspended_model_204.jpg

Inversions! :eek: :p

Also, here's a video showing concepts of Arrow's Suspended Swinging coaster being tested (including an ancient mounted pov :p ).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miERaeQZYZQ[/youtube]

I wish companies were as mad today as they were back when these concepts were being drawn-up!

Edit: Fixed. :)