• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Submission to be removed

delta79 said:
Well its got a write up in the shropshire star. However quarter of the article is smiler bashing.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/editors-picks/2014/02/08/alton-towers-ride-submits-to-age/

Seems a bit odd that it's in the Start rather than a Staffordshire paper?
I just hope the space where Submission sat isn't empty for a long time, it was a very uncomfy ride and I'm happy to see it go but especially with extra footfall from The Smiler X-Sector needs flats, as does the park in general.

I'm glad Submission is getting removed. Was very painful and I have never seen the other arm running..

I seen the last (I think) bit of the base being removed over H/T (from the road) and I wondered what will be done with the area. There will be a concrete hole, and a big void left by the ride. As much as Submission didn't seem too 'big' for a ride, it did have a small footprint, it was quite tall. Of course, next to oblivion it seemed tiny, I just hope that it doesn't affect the aesthetics of the area as much as I expect it to.

Even if they do just put a fence in-front of it, you will still see the mess from Blivvy :(

Ideally I think they should landscape the area and have a picnic/seating area. Watching Oblivion is know to be a spectator sport after-all. In reality I expect nothing to be done, area fenced off and left to rot. I hope not though, especially next to The Smiler.

They should landscape the area and make it look nice. I expect they will leave it as it is, a concrete pit with no ride and some queue line fencing. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a Beastie style big metal fence up to 'hide' the mess.

It will look awful if they just leave it though. In theory X-Sector should be looking it's best just after a big new addition. I dount that will be the case.

:)

I wonder what will actually happen to it? It was being packed into lorries, surely not being sold as scrap? For what they would get for it they may as well just leave it SBNO and call it 'theming.'

Maybe they found a buyer. Coming soon to a S&M basement near you! Or maybe making its debut in the adult film industry.

I agree that they should put some seating there. It's a quietish corner of X Sector and so it would work for that purpose.

While it may have been painful, Alton only has a couple of thrill flats now(Ripsaw and Enterprise) and Ripsaw is on its last legs so along with the lodges hopefully we will see a new thrill flat in x sector. I think a topscan could fit in well with the theme of the smiler, with a black and yellow colour scheme themed around hypnotising riders to prepare for the correction process on the smiler.