• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Survey pointing to potential Minecraft IP?

I didn't want to take too many pictures as I'm not sure if this is allowed as it was a survey (might be confidential material). Basically the path is next to David Walliams land and it eats into a new part of the park (between Rita/13 and David Walliams land there is a noticeable gap on the park map - this is where it is proposed to be).

There were also images of various water rides themed on the blocky Minecraft aesthetic. One of which was like a deep sea water ride where you float through what looks like something out of the sea life centre, on rubber rings.

Branded Surveys.
From the position and description, could this be a retheme of the Dungeons building?

The only reason I can't see it going anywhere is the location. Right at the back of the theme park near David Walliams / Dungeon area. If it was indeed to include a hotel / accommodation, this would mean overnight guests being able to potentially wander round the theme park.

At least with RCR's location it is very easy for Towers to restrict the movement of hotel guests to a small manageable area of the theme park. I would also question whether there is room for both Minecraft & Project Horizon.

The only reason I can't see it going anywhere is the location. Right at the back of the theme park near David Walliams / Dungeon area. If it was indeed to include a hotel / accommodation, this would mean overnight guests being able to potentially wander round the theme park.

At least with RCR's location it is very easy for Towers to restrict the movement of hotel guests to a small manageable area of the theme park. I would also question whether there is room for both Minecraft & Project Horizon.

Would it not be possible to have the Minecraft accommodation up at the resort end of the park ... works for Cbeebies.

I'm sure many more of these surveys have been done over the years and we've just never known about them. I can't see them ever building anything in the wooded area behind the Dungeons, and I can't see them having Horizon, Walliams World and this all concentrated in the same area. This area was built as one, and Walliams already looks rediclous in the cramped back area. If it was for a full retheme of a wider area though that includes Walliams the I'd be well up for that. My daughter is playing Minecraft right in front of me now, and if certainly seems like an IP that is standing the test of time unlike some of their other IP's.

I'm doubting this, happy to be proven wrong. Could see them reverting to LEGO and not forking out for the IP. I thought Towers were mainly past IPs now.
Who knows, but maybe Towers are looking really long-range? If Universal comes into fruition (with easy access right next to the M1) Towers are going to need some big-hitters and they don't happen overnight.

I totally accept Universal is potentially the best part of 10ys off (based on the Center Parcs Woburn planning application), but it would be folly for Towers / Merlin not to be considering the possible long-term threat.

I don't think any major park like Alton Towers should be past forking out for IPs. Done properly, with a decent budget, providing they're done in conjunction with original themes elsewhere too they can be great for the park. CBeebies has been incredibly successful for them, and if it were done at a time of the possibility of a more impressive budget could have been even more so. There's no reason why that couldn't or shouldn't be considered for other age groups too.

Yes, Universal are a potential competitor - but regardless of that being on the horizon, this seems a sensible consideration to bring an instant influx of guests.

As an old man I do not really understand what a Minecraft is, but as has been said it is a perfect demographic fit for post cebeebies and pre 1.4 thrill.

As for the validity of source, I've done these surveys and have no doubt that this is legit research. As is the point of research it'll be a long way from certainty of occurring though, with the results of this forming part of their decision making. Some of the first things we found out about DBGT came from similar market research.

And on that I'm pretty certain that the very first thing you tick on the site is that you won't share or disclose what you are asked about. So this is a bit naughty and I wouldn't be surprised to see Toers ask for its removal...

Last edited:
Sorry to be a 'Debbie Downer, but that survey looks fan made to me. Could even be something you'd knock up for a school project on an existing business. I used to do stuff like this when I was 13/14. I'd always try and base my class projects on stuff I loved where possible.

So yeah not buying the legitimacy.

As for the idea of Minecraft at AT.....yeah sure why not. It's not something I play tbh but it's an incredibly popular brand which would certainly bring in more punters for sure.

It isn't going to happen. As someone above has said.....I'd imagine it's an IP Universal might consider for the possible UK park though given they'd want to avoid too many of the IP's used in US parks.

Sorry to be a 'Debbie Downer, but that survey looks fan made to me.

It does look fan made, but the vibe is very reminiscent of past surveys - Dark Forest in particular.

The whole "PowerPoint slide with continue button" thing is very typical of these surveys, I used to do them for cash for years and this captures the vibe perfectly - surprisingly amateur efforts from big brands.

Last edited:
It does look fan made, but the vibe is very reminiscent of past surveys - Dark Forest in particular.

The whole "PowerPoint slide with continue button" thing is very typical of these surveys, I used to do them for cash for years and they've captured the vibe perfectly - surprisingly amateur efforts from big brands.

This was a real survey. I can't make a PowerPoint slide.

I’ve always visited the site just never bothered to sign up as I never had anything to say of much interest.

Fair enough… I’m hoping it’s real as it shows future expansion plans are being thought of, even if this isn’t the final product. We want more rides not just like for like experiences.

Welcome aboard anyway