• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Survey pointing to potential Minecraft IP?

It would be stupid for Thorpe but could work at Towers or Chessington. That said, I'm not sure if Minecraft will be popular for much longer, it is already 15 years old and whilst there is a film coming out, it would be a massive gamble to ride on a film's popularity since we don't know if it's any good yet.
Minecraft is the best selling game of all time, and by a considerable distance, so there's some argument there for its longevity.

My worry is because Universal are big IP focused park and you know it will be successful if it ever gets built. Will Merlin feel they will need to focus on turning every new development into an IP just to compete with Universal. I fear it might be the death of originality.

Well I did the survey (Alton towers one) there was some promising stuff on there, as it's been stated Minecraft is a great IP heavy brand recognition and perfectly fits that 7-13 year old market that's currently lacking and yes there's very little worry about Minecraft becoming irrelevant anytime soon.

What's interesting is surely the into the nether rollercoaster is project horizon and if that is the case I wonder if a 'Minecraft land' has been under wraps for quite some time now although the fact it's in the market research phase doesn't indicate that.

And a trackless pig dark ride? That would be cool and the Minecraft safari boat ride that would surely be a dungeons retheme.

Just to add everyone who has done this survey and are discussing its contents and even showing pictures we are being a little naughty 😅 (myself included) as you have ticked all the boxes to agree not to share this information, so I'd advise not going and posting it on YouTube or Facebook and what not, should be fine though.

What's interesting is surely the into the nether rollercoaster is project horizon and if that is the case I wonder if a 'Minecraft land' has been under wraps for quite some time now although the fact it's in the market research phase doesn't indicate that.
You don't run market research for an attraction after submitting planning permission and just before construction.

You don't run market research for an attraction after submitting planning permission and just before construction.
Yea that's what I mean by it doesn't indicate that but it's just interesting from what I saw on the survey it seemed pretty easy to say that horizon would be the nether coaster from the location and the fact a nether theme wouldn't really work outside.

However I'm guessing the market research plans are more along the lines of hypotheticals and then from the reception they get they might put the concepts to use in the future.

Not necessarily true, the IP for Saw was brought in relatively late in the project, after planning docs were submitted in November 2007. It was originally designed as a generic abandoned western theme to fit with Canada Creek (complete with western style windmill!).

The plans were resubmitted October 2008 for the new Saw theme. It opened 2009.

Some of the plans with dates:

Last edited:
Except that would be a little more difficult with something like Project Horizon. Its planning permission was based on documentation stating that the new ride wouldn't generate significant additional crowds.

Popping an incredibly popular IP on to the existing permission would materially change the facts of the matter.

Except that would be a little more difficult with something like Project Horizon. Its planning permission was based on documentation stating that the new ride wouldn't generate significant additional crowds.

Popping an incredibly popular IP on to the existing permission would materially change the facts of the matter.

I bet they wouldn't consider that it does amount to a material change. A statement like that is so woolly in the first place it is almost meaningless. I think they would quite easily and reasonably be able to interprete that to mean within a reasonable percentage of current or historic maximum figures, and just a change in theme would be very unlikely to push numbers beyond that even if it is something like Minecraft considering the gate is already quite a long way off historic numbers.

I'm surprised to see this being considered for waterparks, wouldn't seem like the best use of the IP.

Whilst I don't think this is anything to do with Horizon, I don't think there's anything stopping them from doing so. Not increasing gate numbers is such a spurious claim to appease complaints about traffic congestion. In this industry, you have to invest heavily just to stay still. We've seen how a lack of that kind of investment has had an impact on the park since 2010.

It's probably how they got away with pretending that Jumanji Land at Chessington was some sort of capacity extension built out of the kindness of their hearts rather than to attract/retain visitors. As if they were forking out all that cash to be charitable rather than prevent a decline in attendance.

Besides, I don't think Derek Smith from number 42 Chestnut Lane would really care if the front and interior of a building they're unlikely ever to see in person was themed to Minecraft rather than something else entirely.

My money is still on Chessington with this though, if it comes to anything at all. No chance they're building anything in the woods behind Burger Kitchen and I have a feeling that Horizon is planned to be something else entirely.

PLEASE COULD YOU REMOVE THIS THREAD as the survey site have kindly asked me to remove my posts.

Dr House Oops GIF

While I recognise that the survey company have made a request to the original poster to remove the information they shared, I acknowledge that this has been in the public domain for over a week. It is likely that the information has been duplicated, saved and/or shared elsewhere. There is little to be gained from removing the thread at this time.

I note that the original posts have been edited to remove content, but that subsequent posts have quoted the original information. Therefore, whilst perhaps a little convoluted and confusing, the general gist can still be gathered.

Happy to be contacted by the survey company directly to have any further discussions.

Perhaps this may serve as a learning point for the future, on how strongly they emphasise any request for non-disclosure...