• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Symbolica or Mystic Manor?

Symbolica or Mystic Manor?

• Symbolica

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Mystic Manor

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
I think only a handful of people on here have been on Mystic Manor. Even fewer have done both.

Having not been on either I'm more excited to ride Mystic Manor, but honestly I'm just very happy they both exist and each experiment with the ride type in their own way.

I've only done Symbolica, but I can safely say that you can't judge a dark ride from POV's.

I can think of only one occasion when that rule was broken and that was when someone posted a video of Terror Tomb (I think) vs post "refurbished" Tomb Blaster on here a few years back where the evidence of quality degradation was extremely obvious, even from a video. But everything I've seen since, including some of the nonsense comparisons that have been posted in the Duel thread, is just BS.

Since there's very few people who can compare both of the examples you've put forward from actual experience of riding them, I wouldn't rely on the opinion of anyone who hasn't ridden both at all.

Since there's very few people who can compare both of the examples you've put forward from actual experience of riding them, I wouldn't rely on the opinion of anyone who hasn't ridden both at all.
Probably correct. As stated above, not many people will have done both, so it might be quite hard finding people with an opinion on which one they think is better.

And even if people have done both, it might still be difficult for them to give a completely fair opinion, for example if they’ve ridden one a lot more than the other, or ridden them years apart, or ridden them with completely different expectations.

I've only done Symbolica, but I can safely say that you can't judge a dark ride from POV's.

I can think of only one occasion when that rule was broken and that was when someone posted a video of Terror Tomb (I think) vs post "refurbished" Tomb Blaster on here a few years back where the evidence of quality degradation was extremely obvious, even from a video. But everything I've seen since, including some of the nonsense comparisons that have been posted in the Duel thread, is just BS.

Agreed. I'm a shameless Symbolica fangirl but even I don't feel right voting for it against something I have never experienced.

I never watch POVs of dark rides I haven't experienced. I don't really even like watching them of coasters I've not ridden. You run the risk of ruining it for yourself the first time you ride it. (And OK, I've no plans to go to Hong Kong any time soon but I wouldn't rule it out.)

I have done both.

I can safely say that Mystic Manor is the better overall attraction. That isn't to say that Symbolica isn't a very, very good ride - but the involvement of peril, the quality of the animatronics and graphics, the musical score and the ride system feels slightly superior on Mystic Manor.

the animatronics
Symbolica's look pretty terrible, with the exception of the wizard, despite them being made by the same company as who usually supplies the Disney animatronics. Mystic Manor's look great, yet not all that special for a Disney Park.

I've not ridden Mystic Manor and probably never will. I have ridden Symbolica. The latter is a really good ride, very charming. But Mystic Manor looks far superior in almost every single way. And riding Ratatouille at DLP a couple of days after riding Symbolica, you realise how much slicker Disney's trackless ride system is.

Like many here, I haven’t ridden Mystic Manor yet, but it’s extremely high up on my bucket list and has been since it opened. It’s a brilliant blend of physical and screen effects, with an excellent narrative and soundtrack (thanks Danny Elfman!). Plus it has Albert. How can you not love Albert? I especially enjoy when he gives the audience the bedroom eyes after he first appears in the pre-show.

I have however been on Symbolica a number of time… I’m just going to come out and say it, despite the outrage it’ll likely cause…

gulp

I don’t get it.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a beautiful piece of design as you’d expect from Efteling. But the ride just does nothing. Even scenes that should be exciting and dramatic like the whale (which I will say, is awesome!) feels underwhelming. Were it not for the panicked Pardoes hurriedly waving you out of the room you’d have no sense of urgency what so ever. “Bloody conservatory’s leaking again, dear”. I actually find the ride experience rather tedious.

I guess you can say that it executes the idea of wandering round a large castle well, because it does. There’s only a couple of points where it feels like you’re on a set path. The rest of the time it uses the trackless system well to make it feel like you’re really exploring some of the large rooms. Kudos for that. The problem is, it’s like exploring the castle after first necking a bottle of horse tranquillisers. Everything is so slow and drawn out, as if life and events are playing out at half speed. It doesn’t feel particularly rewarding, disembarking at the end.

It’s Efteling. The park isn’t about big thrills and high-energy experiences. I fully appreciate that. But Dreamflight manages to be exciting and varied, despite falling into a similar genre as Symbolica. I dunno 🤷‍♀️

Like I say, it is beautiful and a credit to the parks design team. It just doesn’t do it for me.

It’s Efteling. The park isn’t about big thrills and high-energy experiences. I fully appreciate that. But Dreamflight manages to be exciting and varied, despite falling into a similar genre as Symbolica. I dunno 🤷‍♀️

I absolutely agree. Actually preferred both Droomvlucht and Fata Morgana to Symbolica. It feels so predictable and orchestrated. Of course it is - but it’s the magic of some dark rides to make carefully planned moments/scenes feel wild and exciting.

Like many others, I haven’t ridden Mystic Manor. Although it looks better from POVs, I doubt it negates my main issues with trackless ride systems: overly drawn-out motion and vast unthemed floor space.