• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Syndicate of parents

Same for height. Just because someone is taller than someone else doesn't mean they should pay more

With weight though it is sometimes not someone's fault if they are big. Health conditions and genetics are two of the key things that can have an impact on the weight of someone. Why should they be singled out to pay more when they have no control over their weight?

You could throw back the argument that airlines make bigger people pay more although that is due to the space and size of the aircraft seats. With food it is a different matter. You also have to take into consideration that some people have different limits of what they can eat too. Just because someone is 'fat' does not mean they are going to eat far more than a skinnier person. My mum is bigger than me, yet I can easily eat 3 times more than she does in Pizza Pasta. It would be a flawed system.

The height makes sense. As that person is forced to only be granted access to x amount of rides. The same system does not work with food as there are many different considerations to take in. So I find it highly discriminating towards bigger people if they had to pay a higher price - when they might not eat as much and the fact that sometimes weight cannot be controlled.

However height doesn't always work... Back when I was a kid I was scared of big rides yet I've always been taller than average. The old height system they used at Pleasurewood Hills meant my parents paid more for me even though I didn't use most of the rides I was eligible for...

Going purely on a height system still has flaws basically.

True. I was the same as a kid, really hated some rides (especially kids roller coasters) so I see the flaws with that.

Although at the end of the day. Whichever system is used, there are always going to be flaws in one place or the other.

I favour a height system over the current system though. But I highly doubt the current system will ever change due to the money Alton Towers (and the rest of the industry) can make classing over 12s as adults.

mrbrightside said:
However height doesn't always work... Back when I was a kid I was scared of big rides yet I've always been taller than average. The old height system they used at Pleasurewood Hills meant my parents paid more for me even though I didn't use most of the rides I was eligible for...

As unlucky as that is, one could argue that there's not much point in going to a theme park if you are scared of going on most rides.

I know it isn't fair to judge that and as a family day out it's unfair but it is a valid point, nonetheless. :)

Ah but as a family theme park you could equally argue that there should be attractions to cater for all tastes. Just because someone is tall enough to ride doesn't mean they will ride - but it equally doesn't mean they don't want to go on many other attractions on park.

However, my point is slightly moot in my opinion as I don't see a lot of problems with the current system anyway.

why not change to name of the ticket to full and half.

Full being 12 and over.

Half is anyone under the age of 12 ( or under 1.4metres if they claim it, maybe via a assigned ticket booth)

Combine under 12 and under 1.4m under a new 'half' ticket. That way everyone old and tall enough to go on everything pays full price and everyone who is too short or young doesn't.

And while they're at it, do a ticket for people who just want to enter the park and not go on rides, even if they charged just a fiver or less, that'd be a huge money spinner from family members who refuse to pay £40 to watch their kids go on rides as well as people just visiting the towers and gardens.

I am all for using social media as a direct tool for compliment or complaint if it's appropriate or has a chance of results.

This really doesn't because it's been policy for years.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Blaze said:
And while they're at it, do a ticket for people who just want to enter the park and not go on rides, even if they charged just a fiver or less, that'd be a huge money spinner from family members who refuse to pay £40 to watch their kids go on rides as well as people just visiting the towers and gardens.
My Mum always said she wanted something like that, as park entrance was a complete waste for her. Problem is, how could you ever police it? You'd probably have to go over to a wristband system, which would be such a faff.

I just don't like how these people cant get their heads around the word 'adult', if it was called a tall ticket then I bet this situation wouldn't arise. Remember, most of them have just copied and pasted other spammers posts, so there is no real structure behind the argument, its just busy bodies who want attention and likes. The prices are high and I can see the frustration, but there are so many 241's around it doesent really matter.

And like has been said, the problems with wristband systems for non riders is that it is severely open to abuse, and it would take investment into something that wouldn't generate a huge profit, so thus not a move M£erin will consider.

Yeah, my parents have always really wanted to look around the house and gardens. They have absolutely no interest in going on any of the rides, so it's a shame that a beautiful house and gardens are closed off to them, because they obviously don't want to pay £22.50 each.

I don't think it's unreasonable to make the service cheaper for people who either can't, like under 1.4s, or don't want to, like my parents, take advantage of the full service. Under 1.4s should be classed as children, over 1.4s as adults, and there should be some sort of wristband system to allow people who just want to look at the house and gardens in for £5. It's simply fairer. :)

A wristband system wouldn't even be difficult to implement... It would not have to be as faffy as PBB's either as the number of people paying for grounds access only would presumably be smaller and thus would discount the need for scanners and the like.

Just two colours (3 if you wanted full height, half height and grounds access) and someone at ride entrances checking colours on the way in. Ride 'bolt ons' to a grounds pass could be sold via Sales & Information kiosks and could be printed like Fastracks.

I would have suggested only giving wristbands to those wanting a grounds pass but that would make it too easy for people to buy a cheap ticket and then cut the band off once inside :p

Other way round makes more sense: wristbands for riders, nothing for boring garden fanatics. ;)

That one of the most beautiful ruined houses in England isn't open to the public, on its own terms at least, is a cultural travesty. :)

Just a thought: how would wristbands work for MAP holders? would we have to queue up for a band every day?

I don't see why there should be a separation at all. It's a family day out, as soon as you start giving people the choice of whether they do the 'big rides' or not, you start putting a limit on someone's day and it creates a two-tier system.

On my first visit to Towers, I hated coasters, and I never expected I'd ride anything 'big'. In this scenario, I would have probably bought the 'small rides' pass. So, when my friends tried to convince me onto Nemesis, I would immediately have an additional cost to pay and I probably wouldn't have been on at all.

And we know that Merlin would abuse it to hell and beyond, so virtually everyone would still end up buying the high-end pass. For the amount of faff and money that could be spent implementing this, you might as well invest in decent family attractions that make those who only want to do the smaller rides not feel short-changed.

I'd imagine an annual pass wristband would likely work like Blackpool, where you have to queue up and present your annual pass at the ticket office to get a wristband and entry ticket like guests with regular tickets.

The last thing I want to see at Towers is even more reminders of money throughout the day killing the escapism.

Let's be honest though, if M£rlin had their way, we would pay per ride AS WELL as for admission. Fastrack has made that almost acceptable in the public eye.

Last time I visited PWH they gave out wrist bands rather than tickets. It was one that you put on yourself, it has a sticky bit that once it is stuck you cant get it off without ripping it and it wont join up again.

It would not be that hard to do and I dont think it would take much more time than just doing normal tickets. There would be a bit of a delay for something like print at home tickets.

I feel the way they could do AP is to have a hole punched in the card then you have a lanyard which enables you to wear the card round you neck and it can be scanned or checked at ride entrances. Sort of like the system they have in Florida with all their fast pass ticket which are scanned before you get in the queue.

Jordan, it wouldn't work like that.

If you're under 1.4 you'd get a child ticket, and if you were over you'd get an adult ticket. You wouldn't be able to choose to get a second-tier ticket.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2