• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Syndicate of parents

I want to talk a bit about wristbands but for the sake of staying on topic thought I should add that I think entry should be done on height as it’s much less ambiguous than age and relates to what you can actually ride. Just having a height post next to the pay both shouldn’t really add much complication.
If you wanted to be really sneaky there’s also a clever trick you could use to stop parents kicking up a fuss when their child is on the borderline. Rather than put the marker at 1.4m you have it at 1.35m (or there about) so that the cashier knows that if someone’s on the line they are actually under it. They can then pretend they’ve taken sympathy on the family by charging the lower value. In actual fact they’ve been paid the right amount but the family feel they’ve got a better deal and won’t complain: Win, Win.
If trading standards point you out on it just make sure there is a line at the real 1.4m but have it unmarked so that only staff members know what it is.

But about the wristbands:

The trouble with a wristband service is that in theory it is a good idea but in practice adds a lot of complications.

In an ideal world you’d give a wristband only to the people that don’t want to ride. But then there’s nothing stopping them for tearing them off or hiding the wristband and riding anyway. This means that almost everyone needs a wristband. Now you could further reduce the number of people that need a wristband by allowing Annual Pass holders to just show their passes but most of the guests will still need one. The effect on this will be to slow down the entry process which during peak summer can already be a nightmare.

Then you need to equip every ride with a way of detecting wristbands. For the Roller Coasters this won't be too much of an issue as there's normally a staff member at the queue entrance regardless. But for the smaller rides it either requires another staff member, a Barcode machine or to check the guest while they're loading (damaging throughput). Again none of these are real issues on a quiet day but can be when the park is rammed.

Then there's the whole issue of escapism which Jordan has already mentioned but I wanted to expand on:
Let’s think about why Wristbands were first introduced. They exist as part of an Amusement Park model which for decades got by just with tokens. But then someone realised that the limitations of a token system meant that those guests that wanted to stay the whole day were less likely to do so because they'd very quickly end up spending a fortune on every ride. So the Wristband was introduced to allow guests to still come and go as they pleased but also pass through ticket barriers with ease. Bear in mind that originally a wristband was a premium product that only a few guests were expected to buy. Hence it worked well for them.

The difference between a Theme Park and an Amusement Park is that you’re not paying for just the rides (in theory). Plenty of people visit Disney without going on many rides but they are still happy to pay full price because they are there for the Disney experience. The trouble that Alton and other British parks have is that they've become all about the rides. I’d go as far as to say they are little more than Amusement Parks with some good themes. If the park was to up its game and add more to the shows and general feel of the place then people would pay full price to visit the gardens because they’d be getting exactly the same value out of there day as someone that is enjoying the rides.

Rather than put the marker at 1.4m you have it at 1.35m (or there about) so that the cashier knows that if someone’s on the line they are actually under it.

I'm going to assume that you mean 1.45 instead of 1.35. If so, that's a good idea.

Edit- Or maybe I'm assuming that parents would want borderline children to get on the rides that they want and you're going on the price they'd pay. In fact, that could be a problem with that system.

I'll try and explain a bit clearer. The idea was that if you were charging by height you'd need a height sign like those Alton already use to measure each child's height. This needs to be done from a distance so that the cashier does not have to leave their desk (which would obviously waste time). However if the cashier is instructing a parent to put their child up against the sign they need to be sure the child is not cheating the system by crouching slightly (something you obviously can’t tell from inside the booth).

My idea was that the sign could be modified so that the red/green borderline is slightly lower than it should be (lets say 1.38m as I think my previous suggestion of 1.35m might be too noticeable). The proper 1.4m mark should still be shown on the ruler but to someone who only glances at the sign it will look like the red/green borderline is at 1.4m when in fact it isn't.

You may be wondering how this will help? Here is an example using 3 kids all around the 1.4m mark:

1)
If the first kid is over 1.4m and they stand next to this altered sign it will look like they are a long way into the 1.4m section so you charge them full price. They will not try to cheat by ducking as they are clearly way above the mark.

2)
If the second kid is 1.4 meters exactly they will stand next to this sign and appear to be in the red zone. Like the first kid they will assume they are in the 1.4m section by a little way and will not try to cheat the system but instead just stand normally. The person in the booth however can see the real 1.4m marker and decide which section they are really in. If they deem them to be under 1.4m they can charge the parent the lesser price and tell the parents "as your child is close to the green area I'll charge them less because there may be some issue getting onto the 1.4m rides". The family are happy because they've ended up paying less than they expected and the cashier is happy because there was no issue with finding out what height the child was.

+ If a ride op decides later in the day that they’re too small to go on a ride the family can’t complain because they were warned this might happen and they paid the lesser price.

Everybody wins.

3)
Now the third child comes along who is less than 1.4 meters but on the red/green borderline. Immediately they try and make it look like they are under the line. But to the person in the booth it makes no difference as they know that if they are on the borderline they must be under 1.4m. So they charge them the lesser price.

Now I know that the system I’ve described is slightly cheeky because you are fooling the customer that a 1.4m line is not at the height it appears to be. However if the cashiers are responsible and do not abuse this system (say by charging full price to a child they know is less than 1.4m) then it could be a very simple and much more efficient way to make height checks a viable way of pricing entry tickets.