• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Talbot Street Video Archive

Does anyone fancy wasting 47 minutes of their life? I very recently spent a cold morning/afternoon exploring the remnants of the canal that ran through Alton (part of the Uttoxeter Canal). Anyone familiar with the village and its history may be aware of the railway and the River Churnet, but what about the canal? What about its relevance to the Alton Towers estate between 1810 & 1849 given its close proximity? If nothing else, there is a good walk to be had and Crumpwood Weir is a lovely sight. One thing is guaranteed. This will not be going viral :tearsofjoy: I wonder if this video can beat the heroic feat of my video on 'The Orangery' getting 451 views since last March? Only time will tell. Video below if you want to hear me droning on :)

Always enjoy them Mr Zola, I will wait for a time when I'm overexcited and need calming down.
Canals being another sad interest of mine.
Especially disused ones.

Does anyone fancy wasting 47 minutes of their life? I very recently spent a cold morning/afternoon exploring the remnants of the canal that ran through Alton (part of the Uttoxeter Canal). Anyone familiar with the village and its history may be aware of the railway and the River Churnet, but what about the canal? What about its relevance to the Alton Towers estate between 1810 & 1849 given its close proximity? If nothing else, there is a good walk to be had and Crumpwood Weir is a lovely sight. One thing is guaranteed. This will not be going viral :tearsofjoy: I wonder if this video can beat the heroic feat of my video on 'The Orangery' getting 451 views since last March? Only time will tell. Video below if you want to hear me droning on :)

Enjoyed this mate.

Something from yesteryear I recently discovered was 'White Knuckle' - a compilation of British coasters from 1994. It's not aged particularly well, but it does have some fantastic footage of the Thunder Looper and Nemesis, as well as a few at Blackpool and beyond. Whilst I could find the tape on YouTube, it wasn't presented in it's original 4:3 aspect ratio, so I transfered the VHS onto my computer for everyone to see.

This is my footage from inside the ruins last Saturday, mostly the rarely seen West Wing. This was before me and the other random guests were kicked out because the staff had accidentally not put the barriers across to stop entry. Lucky for me though, as I'd been dying to go into that part of the house for a long time. Shame about all of the Scarefest stuff and other bits being stored in there. Would still love a better look around that area with more time to explore, but this was a lucky bonus I suppose anyway, so I'll take it :)

This is my footage from inside the ruins last Saturday, mostly the rarely seen West Wing. This was before me and the other random guests were kicked out because the staff had accidentally not put the barriers across to stop entry. Lucky for me though, as I'd been dying to go into that part of the house for a long time. Shame about all of the Scarefest stuff and other bits being stored in there. Would still love a better look around that area with more time to explore, but this was a lucky bonus I suppose anyway, so I'll take it :)

Thats awesome, I remember somehow accidentally finding my way in here many years ago. At the time there was lots of weird old stuff.

Lots of old hotel records (check in papers etc), old fast passes and entrance tickets, theming and signage. I remember seeing all the old Energizer signage which was pretty cool.

There was also lots of large toy soldier theming - no idea what these once belonged to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thats awesome, I remember somehow accidentally finding my way in here many years ago. At the time there was lots of weird old stuff.

Lots of old hotel records (check in papers etc), old fast passes and entrance tickets, theming and signage. I remember seeing all the old Energizer signage which was pretty cool.

There was also lots of large toy soldier theming - no idea what these once belonged to.

It would have been amazing if you would have got some pictures at the time! The toy soldiers sound like something out of Toyland Tours or something similar. It's amazing how people accidentally end up in there when I've been checking to see if there is honest access into there for years but it's always seemed to be boarded up. Luck of the draw and employees unknowingly leaving doors open most probably :)

It would have been amazing if you would have got some pictures at the time! The toy soldiers sound like something out of Toyland Tours or something similar. It's amazing how people accidentally end up in there when I've been checking to see if there is honest access into there for years but it's always seemed to be boarded up. Luck of the draw and employees unknowingly leaving doors open most probably :)
Sadly no photos, it was quite a long time ago now so pre-dated smartphones!

Toyland Tours was still open and they weren't of the same style so definitely didn't belong to that. The memory is engrained in my mind, spent a long time exploring in there as it was very exciting for a young geek to stumble across such stuff. Spent many a trip hoping to go back in :D

Very cool. I've been up on the west wing roof myself and I'd love to do it again. Even though it was supposed to be closed, the fact that you kept bumping in to other guests shows that there is demand for the Towers to be open.

Nice little tour that. Well put together again mate.

They really do miss a trick not opening the house up. The thing I always get from it, I could be wrong after only seen the images, for a grand house it appears very tight. Fully decorated it must have been amazing. But not spacious.

You can really tell that the place was never built to be a home but a place to show just how much money the earls had. Especially if the royals came to visit.

Sadly no photos, it was quite a long time ago now so pre-dated smartphones!

Toyland Tours was still open and they weren't of the same style so definitely didn't belong to that. The memory is engrained in my mind, spent a long time exploring in there as it was very exciting for a young geek to stumble across such stuff. Spent many a trip hoping to go back in :D
It will likely have been one of the models from the front of Childrens World - the original version of the indoor playground that was previously where Gangsta Granny is now. There were a series of larger than life 'toy' models along the balcony on the front of the building.

You can see the soldier through the tree at the back of this pic:
52064593746_85740d8297_c.jpg

Some, if not all of the models were later put into storage in the Towers when the playground was switched to Barney's Playground, and were later resued as part of the theming for Scarefest's Carnival of Screams.

You can see the soldier again to the left here by the Blackhole tent in 2011:
50437807223_8a8b223bfa_c.jpg

It will likely have been one of the models from the front of Childrens World - the original version of the indoor playground that was previously where Gangsta Granny is now. There were a series of larger than life 'toy' models along the balcony on the front of the building.

You can see the soldier through the tree at the back of this pic:
52064593746_85740d8297_c.jpg

Some, if not all of the models were later put into storage in the Towers when the playground was switched to Barney's Playground, and were later resued as part of the theming for Scarefest's Carnival of Screams.

You can see the soldier again to the left here by the Blackhole tent in 2011:
50437807223_8a8b223bfa_c.jpg

Pretty certain that is the one! There were quite a few different models but I just distinctly remember the soldier. Thanks for the interesting post, shows just how much they recycle over the years.

Nice little tour that. Well put together again mate.

They really do miss a trick not opening the house up. The thing I always get from it, I could be wrong after only seen the images, for a grand house it appears very tight. Fully decorated it must have been amazing. But not spacious.

You can really tell that the place was never built to be a home but a place to show just how much money the earls had. Especially if the royals came to visit.
Thanks again! Yeah, the West Wing was more or less added to house the State Rooms where any important visitors would be housed, and these rooms would be where they would stay. There are bigger stately homes, of course, but it's not the smallest either. The trouble is, we never get to see it as a whole as it's never all open to the public. Traditionally in recent-ish years it's mainly been the central block that's been open to visitors (inluding the Long Gallery, Banqueting Hall etc) and then of course the Grand Entrance, Picture Gallery and Armoury are taken up by Hex now. Then the other side of that you do actually have the buildings skirting the driving school (which I believe clergy used to stay in back in the 16th Earls days and are now used as offices). Then there's the Eastern range where the family actually used to spend most of their time as the rooms were a more 'liveable' size, and this is the area most ruined now (around the round-tower and East Entrance, if you're aware of those). Then comes the West Wing which we see here. If every area was open you could literally spend all day looking around but in recent years you're lucky if one bit of one section is accidentally open for an afternoon. And don't forget the basement level as well where the kitchens and stores etc used to be, or the servants accommodation tacked on to the side of the chapel. As a whole it is quite a big house when it's all combined, and indeed a lot of it would have been built to impress visitors first and foremost. The State Rooms in the West Wing appear to be amongst the largest of the bedrooms, and the shame is that I don't think they were really ever used for their intended purpose much, if at all, as not long after completion everyone started dying and the legal battles started and everyone didn't live happily ever after.