• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Realistically all this discussion is pointless until we know exactly what was said and in the context it was said. John Wardley is retired, we must remember this. That doesn't meant he's not involved however he probably doesn't know the inns and outs of when and how something might be announced. It seems a bit like whispers at the minute with everyone saying Wardley said different things, I won't believe anything until I've seen the footage for myself.

Realistically all this discussion is pointless until we know exactly what was said and in the context it was said. John Wardley is retired, we must remember this. That doesn't meant he's not involved however he probably doesn't know the inns and outs of when and how something might be announced. It seems a bit like whispers at the minute with everyone saying Wardley said different things, I won't believe anything until I've seen the footage for myself.
Yup, all pointless, lock the topic and shut down the site until the big reveal!
This is what we are here for, right here, right now, simmering over rumours and hanging around waiting for tittle tattle on the next big thing.
I know all of it, but I have been sworn to secrecy about the next big thing.
Massive it is.

Something big eh? New monorail? World class dark ride? 5 new fully themed permanent flats? You know, stuff the park actually needs?
Yeah I'll actually be disappointed if we get SW9 within the next couple of years. We really need a few new permanent flats and other more important things first.

A company like Merlin should be able to add some well themed flats and do SW9 in the next couple of years.

I mean you can question the quality of the rides put into Chessington but they've replaced a pirate ship, the rainforest area, Croc drop, the new bit they've added this year, and building the Jumanji area.

In the same period Alton opened a delayed World of David Walliams and hired some generic travelling rides.

Suppose its better than what Thorpe have gotten in the same period.

Listened to the chain dogs podcast last night and the interesting bit from the Wardley chat for me was the original SW8 plans had the station building were the Blade is located and the lift hill going over the main pathway were the Nemesis sign is you walk under. So I'd imagine that location could be on the table for SW9.

Ideally next year we would get some flats, but with the duel refurb I hope that’s not all we get, but have a feeling we won’t get any. 2024 we get nemesis reopen, plus if they could retheme the dungeons into David Williams attraction along with a reuse of the old theatre in the area. Then SW9 in 2025.

If they do use the blade site and sourounding area for SW9 they will have to look at flat rides before that project starts. Atleast get two new flats in x sector, 1 in dark forest and something more permanent in David Williams area.

If 2025 is our SW9 year, I would like to see the next couple of years as thus:

2023 - Duel reopens as whatever it’s going to be next and 2 permanent flats in X Sector
2024 - Nemesis retrack plus 1 permanent flat in DF
2025 - SW9 plus accompanying permanent flat

It would be nice to have The Dungeons reverted back to a non-upcharge dark ride but with Merlin being Merlin, I can’t see that happening any time soon especially as The Dungeons is still a new attraction in the grand scheme of things.

If the next 3 years were focused on thrill and family thrill, they could then spend the next couple of years afterwards sorting out The Dungeons and the mothballed buildings in Wally Land.

2023 - Duel reopens as whatever it’s going to be next and 2 permanent flats in X Sector

It would be nice to have The Dungeons reverted back to a non-upcharge dark ride but with Merlin being Merlin, I can’t see that happening any time soon especially as The Dungeons is still a new attraction in the grand scheme of things.

If the next 3 years were focused on thrill and family thrill, they could then spend the next couple of years afterwards sorting out The Dungeons and the mothballed buildings in Wally Land.
That looks great, although you should add to it the N:ST building reopening with a new attraction.

I wonder if Christmas season continues to rise in popularity if they would consider targeting some new attraction openings for that time of year.

Indoor attractions in Walliams World for example could give a marketing boost to the season and improve the line up of filler rides.

This is what I think is realistic
2023 - Duel's refresh (whether it's a re-theme or just a refurb) and Nemesis is closed for the whole season. Retro Squad come back again (can realistically see it being Funk'n'Fly, Roller Disco and Spinjam again) because they can't be bothered to get new flats, including a new Retro Squad member in Enterprise's place. Potential use of Sub Terra building but unlikely.
2024 - Nemesis re-opens, and they don't put in anything else because they'll be marketing Nemesis as "returning"
2025 - SW9, I can see this being the year after the rumblings of what JW has said.

Will this Q&A with Wardley be uploaded to YouTube anytime soon as they have been in the past?

Of course if (as seems likely) this turns out to be a new coaster I’ll be there to ride it shortly after opening (and will track it’s development on here for years) but I will be a bit disappointed purely because I’d like to see a more rounded park. I used to go to AT far more often than I do and it’s purely because it’s becoming more like a well themed six flags than a rounded theme park, there’s just not enough none coaster stuff to do - perhaps a renovation for Duel into something resembling a ride befitting of a top theme park would help, reopening Sub Terra certainly would, but the park is surely crying out for a world class family ride?

I get that the park will go with what the optics say when they plan their next ride but surely there just be a market for developing the park more? I’m not the biggest flat ride fan unless they’re going to do something similar to that top spin at Phantasia Lane (the name of which escapes me) but the park does need them, as evidenced by the temporary flat rides which they’ve clearly realised is a decent idea hence holding onto them for a second year.

Talocan is insane and is absolutely what the park should aim for in a flat ride, and they should be aiming for a flat or 6 before a new coaster

Back to the hopeless optimism Matt!
I have held the desire to rebuild the Mouse in my back yard for some years.
I have made enquiries with the council regarding the issue and planning.
I have been in touch with the railway to enquire about using the airspace above the railway line behind my property.
There has been a little community pushback, but as the land is not in an actual area of outstanding natural beauty, I think I have a good chance of the ride opening in the foreseeable future.
Before Valhalla possibly.
But the thing is, though, why would Towers waste time and money designing ride concepts for the valley if it was a non-starter?

If they’d proposed it for the first time in 2003, and never mentioned it again; fair enough.

However, they proposed it again in the LTDP in 2010.

And while the 2015 proposal may not have been a cross valley in the traditional sense, not using the valley itself, it was suggested that it may have gone quite near to the valley (I remember the Gothic Prospect Tower being mentioned, and I gather that some of the woods behind FV that back onto the valley/the Gardens were also proposed as being part of the plot, if I’m remembering correctly).

However farcical enthusiasts may think the idea is, Alton Towers clearly aren’t ready to let the idea go. The fact that they’ve frittered away money on other proposals that at very least use similar areas to where parts of the cross valley coaster may have gone suggests that Alton Towers thinks that such a ride may be feasible. Why would they spend money developing these concepts heavily enough for them to go before the council if they didn’t think they’d have a decent chance of coming to fruition?

I certainly think a cross valley coaster is possible. Not the cross valley coaster, a massive woodie, but a cross valley coaster of some form. It was suggested that the reasons the original proposal failed were noise and support quantity rather than the location; those could easily be rectified with a different ride type. The valley isn’t actually part of the Gardens themselves, as far as I’m aware.

@Squiggs posted a very useful insight into the 2015 ‘cross valley coaster’ (that wasn’t cross valley at all) here:

Post in thread 'Cross Valley Coaster'
https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/cross-valley-coaster.6335/post-370870

Realistically the only actual cross valley plans to see the light of day were the 2003 ones. I would be very surprised if they attempted to build anything in that area. It seems far more trouble than it’s worth for various reasons.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.