• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Test Track - Presented By Chevrolet: Fall 2012

What we predict for the future isn't always true look at the House of the Future at Disneyland in California do we actually live like that now? No, so it is part fantasy.

Yes but things like the House of the Future are based on what we could do at the time but it wasn't yet widely used. essentially it was Disney's version of Tomorrow's World and a lot of these idea did end up happening even if they were superseded or never really caught on.

However this Tron vibe they've going with for the new Test Track is purely aesthetic and not based on any real world predictions of what a car manufacturing process could be like. At least that's what I understand from the concepts we've seen so far.

Disappointed that I didn't get chance to ride Test Track before the retheme, as it looked really original. This just looks like a lot of eye candy and electronic screens.

Sounds a bit like the overhaul of the Hall of Presidents in Cory Doctorow's book...

Apparantly today has been Cast Member previews of the reimagined Test Track. Summed up by Inside the Magic's Ricky Brigante...

Test Track 2.0 is awesome. Couldn't be any more Tron like without being a Tron ride. Going back in! Many more times.

The Disney forums reactions are actually surprisingly positive on the refurb. Which is significant when you consider how much they hate at Walt Disney World.

"Automated Driving Technology Activated"...Really?

I'm less than impressed by this reboot. The old version of the ride made some effort to be educational, it had the section explaining the benefits of ABS and the cold weather room. It gave you some idea of what a new vehicle goes through when it's tested. It was also one of the few themed rides I can think of where the ride vehicle was the focus of the attraction and not the scenery. I liked it for that, it was quirky and unique.

This one is much more like a traditional dark ride with the test track bit bolted on the end. The lighting is impressive but it doesn't suit the attraction, it just serves to distract from what the ride should be about which is a vehicle being tested.

Not too bad, but as for now I'm still a fan of Test Track 1.0 compared to the new version. I'll see how I feel after riding it again one day.

Considering I'm a huge TRON/Futuristic fan, the reboot of Test Track is much welcomed in my eyes. An incredible transformation, even if some part of me misses the original version.

I think it’s important to judge this ride based on the whole experience which has really been ramped up this time, something that the video above doesn’t show. I've added a new video below that does:

Full Test Track 2.0 queue, ride, and post-show at Epcot, Walt Disney World

As they said when they originally announcement the new Test Track the rides new emphasis is on designing a car before testing it. The queue line displays are quite interesting, especially the mapped drawing onto the model car.

But it’s the pre-show that looks really good as you now get to design your own car. It’s a bit like our own Rocket Racers (RIP) from Legoland Windsor but so much more advanced. With this you can actually touch drag your own design giving you a crazy amount of customisation. Now this part of the ride does look brilliant!

Then when you are on the ride it compares your design to the Test Track vehicles which is the new versions selling point. Effectively they've turned it into an interactive ride although all interaction takes place before boarding and you just get to see how your car compares as the ride progresses.
Beats Laser Guns in my opinion :)

There are also a couple of new elements I liked such as the wind tunnel trick like the vinyl shop and tyre factory in Radiator Springs Racers.

But overall I stand by what I said before. They've taken an educational attraction and removed a lot of the substance behind it. As brilliant as the new design section is it isn’t based on real world facts besides aerodynamic shaping and a very lose plus or minus system for using certain engines, wheels ect. (the best ones being made up futuristic designs). Then on the ride itself they’ve also dropped all the facts about ABS, heat testing, surface grip ect. and given it a Tron aesthetic making it feel like a video game and further removing any sense of reality.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. As a ride it looks a lot more exciting and will probably be a massive hit. But as someone who hasn't ridden either version I was more interested to ride it how it was when it had context. If they'd kept the best of both that would have been a truly great ride.

I think it looks awesome! Far better quite frankly!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Having not been on it, watched the POV of 2.0 first then went to see what the original looks like. And by god doesn't the other one look awful, cheap and tacky!

I imagine it'll blow the guests away, pandering quite well to the short attention spans of today! New ride doesn't have any boring or dull parts, I thoroughly enjoyed watching that POV!

FWIW, I think it looks brilliant. It looks futuristic and the theming and lighting is well executed and very nicely placed. I just don't really care that they've removed some of the 'educational value.' If I visit a theme park it most certainly isn't in order to be educated, and it could certainly be argued that the old ride hardly presented car testing as it is really performed in the real world anyway!

I love the refurb. It's the most 'EPCOT' thing to happen to the park for years, and it wasn't even the Disney Imagineers that did it, credit here needs to go to the General Motors design team as this is their concept.

The old Test Track was good, but a bit bland in places. This puts the future back into future world! :D

I was a huge fan of the old one, with the true, hands on car testing warehouse. And was disappointed when I heard they were changing it I was skeptical. (but I was there on the last day of v1)

however this is amazing! I will miss the old one but this is a great replacement!

The queueline now looks like a car showroom for Cheverolet. Completely devoid of anything other than a few screens. All the amazing car testing theming stripped.

It does look lovely when riding, although felt parts of the ride were missing something. The wind tunnel for example was a bit pointless if you didn't know to look to the right at the TV monitor. I don't know whether this has changed from the original though, having never ridden it before.

The customise your own car doesn't really affect the ride at all, it just compares stats at the end to your choice of car stats.

I wonder, for those who really couldn't care less about creating a car that has zero affect on your ride... can you skip that section? :p