• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Test Track - Presented By Chevrolet: Fall 2012

Danny

TS Contributor
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
ouijgbasagsad11.jpg

Test Track in Disney World’s Epcot is currently closed for an extensive futuristic refurbishment that will substantially change the attraction into what is being dubbed "The Chevrolet Design Center ". There, guests will become automotive designers prior to the start of the attraction by designing their own custom vehicles. Once done, they’ll have a chance to test out their design in the six-person “SimCar” on the track of the Test Track course.

So far, we have the following concept art of what the finished product will look like:

Test-Track-Concept-Art-2012-1.jpg

Test-Track-Concept-Art-2012-2.jpg

Test-Track-Concept-Art-2012-3.jpg

Test-Track-Concept-Art-2012-4.jpg

Test-Track-Concept-Art-2012-5.jpg

So, how will it compare to the previous experience? I look forwards to finding out!

It's looking good, particularly the customisation aspect of the ride. I think I managed to ride it just a week before it closed, so I'm quite lucky there. Can't wait for more images.

New pictures.

4TT123234LARGE.jpg

2TT123234LARGE.jpg

2TT123234LARGE.jpg

Personally, I'm not keen. It doesn't have the old charm that it used to and seems a bit too futuristic/Tron-inspired which, for me, doesn't really represent my own interpretation of the ride. Still, I like the colours they're using and it should be good news and publicity for Epcot. :)

This picture was tweeted earlier today, showing the potential new paint job for the cars:

ttc012982SMALL.jpg

Danny said:
This picture was tweeted earlier today, showing the potential new paint job for the cars:

ttc012982SMALL.jpg

Is that robot having a bath in the car?

This MAY be how the ride looks when it re opens on December 6th. It was shown as concept art, although there are quite a lot of Epcot fans out there who have reason to believe this will be the final look:

iCQQDyB2FaJpa.jpg

This highlighted picture of a recent construction update backs these claims up:

iQj10f7zPXONu.png

From Chevrolet's website.

Chevrolet said:
Chevrolet, Disney Inspire Design Innovation with Test Track
Two iconic brands collaborate to deliver interactive, personalized experience

DETROIT – Chevrolet designers and Walt Disney Imagineers have joined forces to give Walt Disney World Resort guests a deep look inside a professional design studio creating a first-of-its-kind multi-sensory virtual experience in automotive design.

Chevrolet and Disney tapped their best design talent with expertise ranging from industrial and automotive design to architecture and animation. The design collaboration began 18 months ago with a few guiding principles – create an experience that is personal, future-focused and optimistic.

The two teams met regularly throughout the development process in both GM’s Design studios in Warren, Mich., and at Test Track in Epcot in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. The collaboration allowed for the greatest level of innovation yet ensured the values of both brands were accurately represented in the new attraction, while allowing both teams to learn from each other’s expertise.

“At Chevrolet, the diversity of talent on our team allows us to consistently produce sophisticated, refined and detailed design – but we don’t typically design through the eyes of a 12-year-old,” said Jeff Mylenek, GM Design manager, Global Exhibit and Merchandising Design. “Working with Walt Disney Imagineering, we were inspired to see our brand story from a more youthful perspective and really opened the parameters on how to approach this design challenge.”

The result is a unique experience that gives an authentic, inside-the-studio look at the actual automotive design process, while empowering guests themselves to create their own designs, possibly inspiring the next generation of automotive designers.

“The re-imagined Test Track portrays an optimistic view of the future, and reflects the deep collaboration between Disney and Chevrolet on both the design and the overall experience,” said Eric Jacobson, senior vice president, Walt Disney Imagineering. “It’s a thrilling attraction supported by rich exhibit displays and interactive elements that bring guests directly into the design process – with a few surprises thrown in.”

The teams used multiple mediums throughout the re-imagined attraction for storytelling, including:

• Visual cues inspired by Chevrolet’s expressive vehicle design language throughout the architectural elements in the space as well as in the interactive displays; speed forms and concept vehicle displays, like EN-V and Miray, provide a glimpse into the future of Chevrolet design.
  • Advanced computer technology – similar to that used by Chevrolet designers every day – powers the guest design experience, while radio frequency technology allows them to take their unique vehicle design with them through the entire ride.
  • A thrill-ride that provides the test experience where each guest’s vehicle design is evaluated.
  • Social media sharing extends the experience beyond the day at the park.
  • Test Track Presented by Chevrolet offers Disney guests a three-part experience:
  • First, guests will have the opportunity to design their own vehicle – car, truck or crossover – with some helpful hints from the Chevrolet designers built into the process. “Designing a successful vehicle requires some careful thought about how to balance capability, efficiency, responsiveness and power – some of the key elements that Chevrolet designers must consider with every new vehicle they imagine,” said Mylenek.
  • Next, they will have the chance to test drive their vehicle design, through the ride, on track surfaces that simulate the actual vehicle validation process that Chevrolet engineers use to ensure every new vehicle meets the highest performance standards. Each guest’s vehicle design will be evaluated and scored based on how well their design balanced the core attributes.
  • Finally, guests have the opportunity to race their vehicle over changing terrain and extreme conditions on a digital driving table, produce and share a TV commercial starring their custom vehicle and pose for action shots in front of their design.

The re-imagined Test Track Presented by Chevrolet will open on Dec. 6, 2012. For more information, please visit: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/epcot/attractions/test-track/

You can also see all the new concept art at the above link. I'd post it on here, but imgur isn't working and I want to go to bed. :)

I posted that in the Epcot topic, I didn't realise it had it's own topic ::)

The concept art looks stunning! I've wanted to ride Test Track since it opened and was a bit disheartened to hear that it was having an overhaul. Having said that, after looking at this concept work and how Chevrolet and Disney will be changing bits specifically, I think it sounds fantastic!

Screamscape said:
Fall 2012 - Test Track Re-Imagined - (11/26/12) “Test Track 2” opened a few days ago for exclusive Cast Member testing, and is supposed to soft open for public guest runs any day now. The early word from Cast Members is that the newly revised Test Track is actually wonderful. No photos or videos have leaked out to us just yet, but someone did set up a camera in the bushes outside the ride area to record the new outside music loop playing in front of the Test Track building now.

"the newly revised Test Track is actually wonderful" - that's very reassuring. :D

Surely this has to be some kind of Tron retheme that they are trying to keep quiet till it opens?

I have mixed opinions. On the one hand I thought the crash test trick from before was a really clever idea. On the flip side it never really worked as intended and while this new Tron style car factory seems a bit lame for a park like Epcot that tries to promote realism it does look very well executed.

From what I've just seen, hats off to Disney for potentially murdering a fantastic ride.

It looks incredibly like tron, and tron could actually fit the general Epcot park.

Not sure what to think, I really wanted to ride the original test track, ill keep neutral until I see a full ride POV
I think id rater go to cars land haha!

Tim said:
I have mixed opinions. On the one hand I thought the crash test trick from before was a really clever idea. On the flip side it never really worked as intended and while this new Tron style car factory seems a bit lame for a park like Epcot that tries to promote realism it does look very well executed.

Remember what EPCOT stands for Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow so this does fit in the future side of the park.

Natalie said:
Tim said:
Remember what EPCOT stands for Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow so this does fit in the future side of the park.
Fair enough but I wouldn't exactly call this an accurate image of what car manufacturing will look like tomorrow, this seems more like someone's fantasy. Plus Epcot has long lost its original meaning as it was meant to be a city not a theme park. But I haven't been there myself so I'm not the best to judge.