• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TH13TEEN - Was It Worth It?

Bethany

TS Member
Hello again, it's been a while!
So, a few weeks ago I went on TH13TEEN for the first time, as previous times I went, the queues were ridiculous.My opinion is that the theming was very good indeed, as is the music. The ride itself is slightly tame, although I guess it is a family coaster.
The drop element wasn't as good as I predicted, as my expectations were high. The first drop took me by surprise and the second drop, I feel, could've been slightly larger. It did surprise me at first, as I said, but it wasn't as 'scary' as I would've hoped.
Do you reckon TH13TEEN was worth inputting, or do you think something else should've been put there? I personally reckon they should have built something that lived up to Corkie, but what am I saying, I never got a chance to ride it!

Personally its the first ride since Nemesis that has made me want to go straight back into the queue after riding it.

Well if its got ridiculous queues 2 years after it was built... It's probably bringing the revenue.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Fredward said:
Well if its got ridiculous queues 2 years after it was built... It's probably bringing the revenue.

Bare in mind it was a mid-summer Saturday :)

I think it's a solid ride and great as there weren't really any step-up rides to big rollercoasters before.

Oh yeah! The single rider queue is one of the best on park!

I really like it. Yes it could have probably been better and it also SHOULD have probably been better but to be honest, the ride is popular and people enjoy it - so it's definitely been a worthwhile investment.

Also, it's high throughput means that on good days you can get a fair few rides out of it!

I don't understand why people are so negative about TH13TEEN - it's great fun. For those that aren't expecting the drop, it is scary - my Mum heard a couple of young men say something like, "That was sh**!", thinking that the ride had finished when they entered the tunnel where the drop is. Once they'd finished screaming afterwards (well, perhaps not screaming - but making noise!) they changed their attitude, "OMG! That was awesome!" Lol :p I don't think rides have to be really terrifying to be great fun. Air isn't scary at all but it's a brilliant ride too.

Had an interesting conversation with some general public on the ride this last weekend:

"It cost how much?! They wasted their money. I want to tell all these people queueing that it isn't worth the wait."

At the same time I had some people on a stag party screaming and laughing all the way round. They enjoyed themselves,

Sam said:
Had an interesting conversation with some general public on the ride this last weekend:

"It cost how much?! They wasted their money. I want to tell all these people queueing that it isn't worth the wait."
So many people seem to say this... but I bet most of them would go on the ride again if they were given the chance to without queuing. Equally, for as many people that come off with a 'this ride is crap' attitude there seem to be plenty that enjoy.

On the flipside, I wonder how many people who come off saying 'wow that was boring' or similar words are only saying so because they are with friends and want to look 'cool'?

Sam said:

Let's face it though, the general public have no idea about the costs of the research and development/hardware that went into the drop section on Thirteen. They will know nothing in general about the cost of coasters at all, so I wouldn't treat that as a particularly severe admonishment.

Its a good ride, but for the money, you could have had a much better ride. I can see the ride having big problems when it gets older and I can see its popularity dropping quicker than the drop element. As much as I do love the crypt drop, the rest of the ride is really poor and you cannot have a ride that only has one good part. The entire coaster needed to wow and it really doesn't. Thats why I don't think it was worth it.

Just because something is better than the ride it replaced, doesn't mean it was worth it. You could have a single crisp and it could cost 1p. I come along and offer you a bag of crisps but want £2. Does that make it worth it just because a bag of crisps is better than 1?

Thirteen was part of a £15million investment. For that sort of money you could have had a Mack mega coaster :p

I imagine it has a higher-than-average satisfaction rate for a family coaster - it does something different that you're not expecting.

Families who ride it for the first time generally enjoy it. Groups of teens riding it expecting it to be the next Nemesis are naturally going to come away disappointed. That can only be attributed to the marketing. I expect satisfaction will increase over time.

Was it worth it? I think so, but the marketing at the time probably negated it a bit.

BigDave said:
Just because something is better than the ride it replaced, doesn't mean it was worth it. You could have a single crisp and it could cost 1p. I come along and offer you a bag of crisps but want £2. Does that make it worth it just because a bag of crisps is better than 1?

Thirteen was part of a £15million investment. For that sort of money you could have had a Mack mega coaster :p
It's job was to replace Corkscrew and offer a family-thrill (whether it was always planned like this is arguable, but nevertheless is what it is now) for that area of the park. As it ticks those boxes I think it is fair to say that it was worth it, regardless of how much money it cost. Would you honestly still rather have Corkie there instead?

Whether it was value for money is a different question altogether and is an interesting point to raise. Without knowing a detailed cost breakdown of the project it is really hard to gauge whether the ride was good value or not. Firstly, it is unknown how much the drop hardware actually cost to develop and build. It would have been expensive, but it is a highly sophisticated system that works perfectly (in my opinion) and is a good innovation. The rest of the budget would have then been split with the outdoor section of the ride (which was plagued with difficulty due to its awkward position in the woods), the marketing and the re-theming of Ug Land. Combined, I think the project was actually good value for money as it brought a popular ride, a semi-interesting re-theme of an area, some fantastic marketing and the parks highest ever attendance year!

Thirteen was definitely worth it. Overall it is a good solid family coaster with a very unique feature. £15 million was a lot of money but the drop section would have cost a lot, and the budget would have included marketing and the Ug Land re-theme. If it hadn't been marketed as a thrill ride then I think it would probably be more popular than it is, that was its downfall really. Thirteen did also bring in a lot of guests to the park in 2010 so from that point of view it was definitely worth it.

:)

Personally I think yes it's a good family based rollercoaster that is a good ride in general also merlin need to spend that sort of money to keep those family (who are a big chunk of customers) coming into the park

It's OK but for the money it is shocking.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Th13teen was a worthy investment, if not a little expensive however.

Yes, we could have had so much better, but it's not all that disappointing, really! The GP seem to enjoy it, and that's what counts.