• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Dungeon

Part of me thinks the park needs an indoor water ride, so losing that would be a shame. But also that building could be great for something like the new ride system used at Cadbury World. Is it ETF?

In an ideal world dungeons would remain as a water ride and we’d see a flying theatre, shooter and trackless dark ride elsewhere in the park.

The poor use of indoor space around TWODW is shocking. Seems a real missed opportunity to never of put the driving school indoors, or maybe moved to alongside mini golf under a tent

Part of me thinks the park needs an indoor water ride, so losing that would be a shame. But also that building could be great for something like the new ride system used at Cadbury World. Is it ETF?

In an ideal world dungeons would remain as a water ride and we’d see a flying theatre, shooter and trackless dark ride elsewhere in the park.

The poor use of indoor space around TWODW is shocking. Seems a real missed opportunity to never of put the driving school indoors, or maybe moved to alongside mini golf under a tent

I’ve a feeling you won’t be disappointed. The number of people to have mentioned this - surely Bianca would have thought - they’ve got a point, let’s explore that.

For me the park needs 4 non coaster indoor attractions added, pretty much in line with your suggestion.

Rome wasn’t built in a day mind.

A 5-10 year plan announced would be ace.

Indeed they were. I still think they are still there.

What was left of the station boat after the refurbishment can be seen on Towers Streets excellent CATCF behind the scenes gallery here. You can even see some doom and sons remnants left behind in some of the photos! Really cool stuff.

Also, a big shout out to the "Please Remain Seated" sign in one of the linked photos, which is also left over from TLT's days, right before the Hippo who was sporting a lovely pair of "coconuts". My younger self remembers that very well.

Moving on, I really do hope this building is utilised for a new family attraction. The building is actually quite large. A lot of potential. What about the fake Jazz Land plans? I think there are absolutely some ques and ideas that could be draw from these designs when trying to decide what to do with the Dungeons ride system and building.
Towers1.jpg
jlplan.jpg
Credit to TT's for the photos.

I love how the boat ride system is modified in these plans to go outside with what I assume is a drop and into a splash pool.
THIS could be a great addition if they were to turn the ride back into a family attraction, especially considering that we do have a lack of water rides on park now. They could kill two birds with one stone so to speak and it could be done at a much reduced cost than when building new, half of it is there already! While also revitalising an existing ride as part of the general area overhaul that will inevitably come with Project Horizon.
Going back to this post, it's strange to think how Project Horizon almost seems to be inevitable. Even back before the days of Charlie a building of roughly that shape and size seemed like the logical expansion onto that land. I'm guessing this was the exact footprint one of the Coaster Corner rides used?
Fan made or not this area seems like the perfect way to build a completely isolated themed land at the back of the park, and I'd love to see an anchor to the area like that flume section. Especially now the original flume has gone.

Also, never realised the lift section of Charlie was an extension to the building. The way people talked I thought Toyland Tours was a lot longer and the lifts were built on top of some of the former channels. Hadn't realised only a single bend was modified. Obviously though it's resulted in a lot of the building being under used.

So in the promo video, Bianca confirms the dungeons will be closing temporarily.

This could be interpreted in a couple of ways.

First one being it is closing temporarily to re open as a scarefest attraction.

Second being it is closed to allow the scarefest attraction to operate, then re opening.

I hope the first.

Last edited:
I imagine as it currently stands it’ll close to be reused for scarefest, then follow that cycle for a couple of years until they permanently repurpose it for a ride. Obviously this relies on storage etc, as if the scarefest plans are big enough to necessitate closing it months early it may not be feasible to keep switching it back to the Dungeon.

I’d absolutely hate it if we permanently lost the use of the building for 11 months of the year though, like others I have such fond memories of Toyland Tours and then Charlie. Please make something similar of it when Horizon comes along AT.