• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Dungeon

Dungeons tickets for 2023 are now live on the website. Prices have gone up by £1. So it’s now £11 on the day or £9 in advance.

In terms of time slots, it’s seems they have reduced the number of slots on weekdays, instead of availability every 15 mins it has gone down to every 30mins.

I know in other Dungeons they will save on staff by having them appear in more than one scene - I guess by reducing the slots they can time it to do the same at Towers (if they haven’t been doing that already that is).

I know in other Dungeons they will save on staff by having them appear in more than one scene - I guess by reducing the slots they can time it to do the same at Towers (if they haven’t been doing that already that is).
It won't make a difference to staffing, the experience is 45 minutes and there can be upto 2 groups in any one batch meaning there can be 4 scenes going on concurrently at certain points within the day.

Last season, the staff outside the Dungeons were telling guests to move their timeslot in order to be in bigger groups, so the only difference it'll make is less awkward conversations for staff telling them to come back when it's busier.

It does make me wonder how much longer the attraction has left though, with Project Horizon parking up next door in a few seasons, especially considering it could assist capacity in that corner of the park. Same goes for Trick O Treat Town, they could easily fit a walkthrough/maze space as well as the boat ride in the future. I feel like the Cloud Cuckcoo Land corner of the park will receive the most changes within the next 5 years as I can't see Walliams lasting much longer either.

I would hazard a bet that the building will be part of Project Horizon either as part of the new themed area or just its own ride...actually I wonder what kind of dark ride would fit in with Project Horizon? I'd only hope that they both complement with each other rather than being two contrasting themes which Towers have been bad at having themes for rides that don't match an area E.G Wicker Man.

I would love for them to totally strip the whole building including the trick and treat town and use the whole building again.
Now seeing the park have added Easter eggs from current or past attractions in the curse of Alton Manor I would love for them to build a museum/dark ride from past attractions/shows.
Like the entrance could be themed to the entrance plaza of the park. While queuing you see photos how the parks changed from the 80’s to now. You board the boats in a station themed to towers street.
The 1st section is the 80’s and you see a model of corkscrew, video of guests on the log flume and old reproduced models from Around the world in 80 days,
Then you enter the 90’s section and see an old signage of Nemesis, model of thunder looper, Toy land tours and the haunted house props and storybook land.
Then you enter the 00’s You see the chained Oak tree, Air, props from Charlie and the chocolate factory and Cred street and the giant duck.
With the 10’s I have you Travel thought a a model of big Bob with Feed the flames, the girl from 13 doing the countdown. Not sure what else you could add.
The exit the ride and you enter a museum where you get to see models of the SW coasters including the 2 that were scrapped, pieces of rides past and present (bolted/screwed down so they can’t be robbed), videos of old adverts, props from other rides.

I've always felt that Alton Towers was the wrong choice for a Dungeons, in my mind the Dungeons should be a grisly celebration of local history and infamy. Other than the witch segment and somewhat Dick Turpin - despite being rather sidelined - it is a all round generic experience. Only beats out Warwick because of the boat ride. I think it should either be retooled into a more Alton aligned experience, or be made free but we know that will never happen...

Dungeons was always a stop gap following the Smiler crash and I'm sure the park know this too and are holding off until Project Horizon opens up. If Alton Manor proves to be a major success which I'm sure it will (certainly doing a hell of a lot better in just 48 hours than what DBGT did for a whole season) then likely Merlin will want to build on the dark ride success to try and help with their 365 day credentials and the Dungeons building I have no doubt is in the firing line ready for a change though the question would be if they use the boat ride system or perhaps gut the whole thing out and put a new ride in there is the main question.

The problem with the dungeon is that it needs to be outside of the park.

If it was located between Galactica and Extraordinary Golf so it can be accessed from park visitors and hotel visitors alike it would be more popular.

Would also add to making the park a 365 resort.
Funnily enough I did this in my alternative Alton Towers history piece in which instead of getting the CBeebies Hotel, we instead get a Myths and Legends Hotel which is themed to many British legends (the building being the same structure as OTL though a more gothic look for it) and the idea I had in mind was having that building have a larger basement area under the hotel which would be an underground location for the Dungeons attraction which would fit in quite well with the theme of the hotel IMO and could be accessed only by those staying on the Resort complex.

Not sure if I'll be honest if it would have been any better than what we have now but at the very least it not being on the site of the park would be an improvement.

Does anybody actually go in this attraction? Whenever I walk past it looks totally deserted!
I've never actually seen a single person enter the attraction.

I would so love to see attendance figures for this! We need someone to volunteer to visit the park and sit outside the entrance to the Dungeons and count the number of guests going in throughout the entire day. I can’t imagine it would be too many.