• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Music, Video and Other Multimedia Thread

Anyone know the SLH Halloween music playlist my brains been aching over a few of there songs

It used to be a huge addition.
Spent hours in there, avoiding the sun and my mum!
The day/night changes were brilliant.
The one in Germany is a must to see on the lighting front

Reposting this because it is an amazing piece of theme park music.

It could be through the view of rose tinted glasses, but I think this is one of the best entrance pieces of music to any themepark ever.

The thing that makes this standout above all the newer Tower Street music pieces, is the sense of adventure and excitement within the music, that also conveys the grand building that is the Towers of Alton.

Specific stand out parts for me are the grand and imposing melodies, (1:25), (3:50), (4:38).

The bouncy and full of energy parts such as what starts at (1:45).

The elegant parts such as what starts at (5:30).

The decent into darkness with THOTMK (6:25)

For me. This captures the essence of Alton Towers better than any entrance music ever has since, it was the perfect mixture of grand and imposing melodies. They worked so well in tandem with seeing this huge, mistical and almost magical lookong house in the distance as you enter Towers Street. Combined with the fun, bouncy and exciting pieces in between, that hint at the themepark within, it made for a very distinct and memorable piece of music.

Some of the newer music is good, even great, but non of them convey the magic, mystique and fun that is so specific and unique to Alton Towers, in that setting, around that house as well as the Graham Smart tracks did.

The fact some of the music was from rides at the time, which are no longer there is irrelevant I think, it works so well as it's own piece on Towers Street and the monorail.

Just my oppinion of course, but i am interested to hear what other people think and what their favorite entrance music is and why. I really think this music was something you needed to hear in that entrance plaza with the Towers in the distance, with the Towers atmosphere to really appreciate and understand why it worked so well.

This could all be my rose tinted glasses, hence why I'm interested to hear what other people think.

EDIT: Corrected the link so it links the actual music and not the pre advert. 🤣. These week days are my weekend but I promise I am not drinking on a Wednesday lunch time, blasting Alton Towers music on the hifi. Nah, that wouldn't be normal behavior. 🤔🤥

Last edited:
Reposting this because it is an amazing piece of theme park music.

It could be through the view of rose tinted glasses, but I think this is one of the best entrance pieces of music to any themepark ever.

The thing that makes this standout above all the newer Tower Street music pieces, is the sense of adventure and excitement within the music, that also conveys the grand building that is the Towers of Alton.

Specific stand out parts for me are the grand and imposing melodies, (1:25), (3:50), (4:38).

The bouncy and full of energy parts such as what starts at (1:45).

The elegant parts such as what starts at (5:30).

The decent into darkness with THOTMK (6:25)

For me. This captures the essence of Alton Towers better than any entrance music ever has since, it was the perfect mixture of grand and imposing melodies. They worked so well in tandem with seeing this huge, mistical and almost magical lookong house in the distance as you enter Towers Street. Combined with the fun, bouncy and exciting pieces in between, that hint at the themepark within, it made for a very distinct and memorable piece of music.

Some of the newer music is good, even great, but non of them convey the magic, mystique and fun that is so specific and unique to Alton Towers, in that setting, around that house as well as the Graham Smart tracks did.

The fact some of the music was from rides at the time, which are no longer there is irrelevant I think, it works so well as it's own piece on Towers Street and the monorail.

Just my oppinion of course, but i am interested to hear what other people think and what their favorite entrance music is and why. I really think this music was something you needed to hear in that entrance plaza with the Towers in the distance, with the Towers atmosphere to really appreciate and understand why it worked so well.

This could all be my rose tinted glasses, hence why I'm interested to hear what other people think.

EDIT: Corrected the link so it links the actual music and not the pre advert. 🤣. These week days are my weekend but I promise I am not drinking on a Wednesday lunch time, blasting Alton Towers music on the hifi. Nah, that wouldn't be normal behavior. 🤔🤥

Not bad but imo hasn't aged that well and is definitely a product of it's time. I prefer the pre 2016 Towerstreet music myself partly because of nostalgia but also because it sounded so magical

Arguably the original TS suite is my favourite piece of AT music.

It’s like Time Machine and portal all turned into one. Those halcyon summer ideas, with pseudo Victorian surroundings. Going on an adventure, or early mornings in the plaza waiting for the gates to open or the old annual pass entrance.

Getting ready for a new adventure, a great day in the sun, with friends. Or celebrating a great day at the end of a long visit.

It really is magical, and reminds me very much of Efteling. Anything ima score has done isn’t a patch on the character of this

Its a crying shame there isn’t a Graham smart FLAC of the entire suite

Last edited:
There is, it's also super easy to create one. Just run the suite, in whichever format you have, through a FLAC encoder and you'll get a FLAC of the entire suite.

I have a feeling that you meant to say you'd like an uncompressed/lossless, or high fidelity, copy of the suite. It's important to remember that FLAC is just a file wrapper and is very much SISO.

There is, it's also super easy to create one. Just run the suite, in whichever format you have, through a FLAC encoder and you'll get a FLAC of the entire suite.

I have a feeling that you meant to say you'd like an uncompressed/lossless, or high fidelity, copy of the suite. It's important to remember that FLAC is just a file wrapper and is very much SISO.

Where?

I've always thought this tune was perfect for towersstreet™ got that happy little bounce to it. Really went well with the scenery. I've said in another thread on this forum, I used to listen to alot of AT™ tunes before going to a job I detested. Got me through, this one in particular.

I'll make you one in the morning, one of my DAW's will support a FLAC export.

But as @GooseOnTheLoose said, it is a case of SISO (s**t in ***t out.) The video I posted uses the opus (251) codec, which means the audio in the video is <= 160kbps, half of what you want as the minimum for an acceptable compressed format. I wont know the exact bit rate until I extract it from Youtube, but it sounds between the 128 and 160kbps area. So no matter how high I encode the FLAC, it will ultimately be the original bit rate 128 to 160 kbps. You can only loose data in audio formats, never get the data back once lost.

Arguably the original TS suite is my favourite piece of AT music.

It’s like Time Machine and portal all turned into one. Those halcyon summer ideas, with pseudo Victorian surroundings. Going on an adventure, or early mornings in the plaza waiting for the gates to open or the old annual pass entrance.

Getting ready for a new adventure, a great day in the sun, with friends. Or celebrating a great day at the end of a long visit.

It really is magical, and reminds me very much of Efteling. Anything ima score has done isn’t a patch on the character of this

It says FLAC is available here.

From: https://graham-smart.bandcamp.com/track/towers-street-overture

Just listening to that really makes me appreciate Grahams Music even more so then before. It's a real shame that none of his music plays in Theme Parks anymore, I'd love to see a new composer try and recreate Graham's more vibrant and charming Style with synths for new rides in the future.

As much as I love some of IMAscore works (I'm looking at you Heritage soundtrack) I think the more simple, less Cinematic like, and layered music works better in parks as a whole. That's just my take anyway. Simon Allen did a great job with Duels 2018 music which was also all done on Synthesiser.

I thought about editing in the HQ ~5min excerpt into the ~20min LQ version, might end up quite jarring though when it transitions. It's a shame the HQ version is so short. You can hear elements in there that are just so muffled in the other one.

Still, I'm grateful he has any of it available to be honest.

To not have to answer multiple posts…so there isn’t an existing FLAC of the entire suite…

I have the 5 minute TS waltz FLAC already.

And the entire 14 minute TS suite that was hosted on TT way back when. And the version of YT sounds an even worse quality

Maybe we should get in touch with Graham Smarts daughter (the YouTube host) and see if anything can be done?

To not have to answer multiple posts…so there isn’t an existing FLAC of the entire suite…

And the entire 14 minute TS suite that was hosted on TT way back when. And the version of YT sounds an even worse quality

Maybe we should get in touch with Graham Smarts daughter (the YouTube host) and see if anything can be done?
I've heard it is impossible to get a hold of Graham Smart, the euro theme park archive tried to contact him but he declined. ( he mentioned this in a commentary of the haunted house documentary)

If you want the entire suite in a FLAC file, yes, it already exists. It's a rip of the YouTube video, wrapped in a FLAC codec.

As I and others have explained to you though, FLAC does not guarantee quality or fidelity. It is a lossless compression format, yes, but if the original source file was already compressed and sounded like garbage, the FLAC file will also sound like garbage.

It's like you're asking for a PNG of the Mona Lisa. I can fly to the Louvre now, with an old flip phone and take a photo on that terrible camera of the Mona Lisa. I can then transfer the JPEG from that old flip phone to my desktop and then convert that awfully low quality JPEG into a PNG. I can then send you a PNG of the Mona Lisa, which is what you asked for, but it will look like my caboose after one too many leftover sandwiches.

What you actually want, as others and I have previously said, is a high quality, or high fidelity, version of the suite. Ideally an uncompressed rip from a CD, or an uncompressed bounce from Graham Smart's DAW.