• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Battersea

Alastair

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Rise of the Resistance
Just read a very interesting article on Theme Park Tourist about John Broome's proposed development of Battersea Power Station in the 80s - and how it impacted upon Alton Towers' sale to Tussauds. I won't quote the whole article here as it depends on the photos. :)

Not sure whether this is for Talbot Street or in here...feel free to move it mods if it's not in the right place.

This project captured me a long time ago, mostly owing to John Broome's connection to American Adventure. I get the general feeling that everything he touched after Alton Towers kinda... well... fell apart!!

I have held the promotional book that was given to prospective investors with full colour concept art, and I was stunned by the imagination and visions that it contained. There is no doubt that Battersea would have been at the forefront of the mixed leisure industry had this gone ahead. It was quite plainly set up to fail by a lack of foresight and blatant inaccuracies in the budgetary forecast.

The most in famous, and stupid, quote I've ever heard was John Broome stating at a press conference:

"Don't come at 2.35pm, or you'll miss it"

Referring to the opening of The Battersea on 21st May 1990 at 2.30pm.

Absolutely fascinating stuff!

Sent using Tapatalk

Such an interesting plan, and surely, if built would be one of the most unique parks in the world.
Thank you for finding and sharing :)