• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Big One's weird supports

"One of the main problems we found with the ride was its very complicated geometry."

normal_TheBigOne2.jpg

How is a big triangle "very complex geometry"? :p

They were probably referring to the far turn and how it wasn't not symmetrical, and a completely stupid shape?

the more solid-looking timber rollercoaster is quite different to the sleek and slender steel structure in Blackpool

I find this quite amusing. They should have a look at some B&M hypers if they want sleek and slender. The Big one looks like it was made up as they went along and to some extent, it was.

I've just been doing some routine googling, and came across this. It's from the company who did the special work for some of the supports on The Big one, such as over the south entrance to BPPB and the big turnaround. This is about the geekiest thing I have ever posted.

From what the PDF says, I don't think this is quite true. They produced the FEA analysis software that Allot and Lomax used to analyse the stresses on the support structure. I've never heard of them before. At uni, I've been let to believe that Abaqus is the industry standard.

I do love this "stat" from their website though:

100% of the UK's top engineering companies use SuperSUITE software!

To be fair we have to consider the complexities seen over 18 years ago. The Big One was mostly complex because it had to Span other structures and yet not overwhelm the structures it ran over.

Dave said:
To be fair we have to consider the complexities seen over 18 years ago. The Big One was mostly complex because it had to Span other structures and yet not overwhelm the structures it ran over.

I think that's the point Graitec are trying to make. It's not too obvious now, but the one-sided structure where the Log Flume used to weave through the supports is quite something - particularly for a hill about 185ft above land level.