• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Brexit Thread

It’s not as simple as reversing it, otherwise a credible political party would already be proposing reversal off the back of a general election win only.

Probably even more complicated if we were to go down the referendum route again. How many people would seriously want another referendum? Look at Scotland, even where independence is favoured, there are many of those people that don’t want another referendum because of how toxic and damaging they are.

It’s not as simple as reversing it, otherwise a credible political party would already be proposing reversal off the back of a general election win only.

Probably even more complicated if we were to go down the referendum route again. How many people would seriously want another referendum? Look at Scotland, even where independence is favoured, there are many of those people that don’t want another referendum because of how toxic and damaging they are.

Give it 10 years. I agree it's not possible in the short/medium term. As the voter demographic shifts, and more younger people fall into the electorate as older people die - we'll see a further shift in attitudes too. Similar to how the millennial generation are not shifting from Labour to Tory at such an early age as was the case with previous generations.

I look forward to closer alignment in the medium term, however.

:)

The EU has consistently shown a desire to expand in virtually any and all directions. Having us back - admittedly on their/worse terms - seems a given to me.

But any re-entry talks would make the last 7 years of drawn out negotiations and brinkmanship look like nothing - I can't see a public appetitive for that again for decades, if ever. For me, the only way re-joining could conceivably happen/be palatable to the public within a couple of decades or less is for a unilateral offer by the EU for us to re-join on our old terms, which seems highly unlikely.

Give it 10 years. I agree it's not possible in the short/medium term. As the voter demographic shifts, and more younger people fall into the electorate as older people die - we'll see a further shift in attitudes too. Similar to how the millennial generation are not shifting from Labour to Tory at such an early age as was the case with previous generations.

I look forward to closer alignment in the medium term, however.

:)
That is a good point, however, as younger people fall into the voter demographic, all voters themselves are getting older, so your demographic will remain pretty much the same.
Please note, not all older people are right wingers, some stay committed cantankerous curmudgeon communists throughout their lives, with no age shift to the right whatsoever.
Millennials are saying they are not voting Tory...many don't want to admit it (understandably)...how they actually cross their box in secret is not really known.

"Oven Ready" deal indeed.

Honestly can't ever see us rejoining the EU to the same level once had. Schegen is the most likely result of anything in the future and basically being told what to do without much of a say in it.

Though that being said as a country have shown that such behaviour would be well entitled for anyone to put us on the naughty step until we've stopped having a tantrum.

End of the day there were plenty of warnings about the issue surrounding NI (and Gibraltar), but blue passports were more important I guess.

DUP have already said this latest deal is crap. Sooner Ireland becomes one again the better for NI methinks.

The EU has consistently shown a desire to expand in virtually any and all directions. Having us back - admittedly on their/worse terms - seems a given to me.

But any re-entry talks would make the last 7 years of drawn out negotiations and brinkmanship look like nothing - I can't see a public appetitive for that again for decades, if ever. For me, the only way re-joining could conceivably happen/be palatable to the public within a couple of decades or less is for a unilateral offer by the EU for us to re-join on our old terms, which seems highly unlikely.

We won’t get the rebate back and will probably have to join Schengen, at a pinch we might be able to negotiate not having the Euro but it would be difficult.

While I sometimes despair of both side of the camp who have made the events of 2016 their primary online identity, I cannot comprehend the notion that people should just "get over this". As if the government had simply forgotten a birthday, instead of completely changing the economic course of the country based entirely on promises from still-serving politicians that have since been proved to be completely in-executable.

Slightly surreal, and by 'surreal', I mean 'infuriating', to see Sunak visiting Northern Ireland in order to personally espouse the financial beauty and obvious opportunity of belonging to the single market. Imagine such a thing! :rolleyes:

Well it's unique now I guess.

I couldn't bring myself to turn the sound on. I saw/heard him speak yesterday for the first time since he became PM and it was just cringeworthy.

My advice to everyone is do yourself a favour and tune out, at least until the next election.

Our Boris...
Dear sweet upper class twit, liar, racist and King Clown of all clowns.
Still trying to stir the shit over Brexit, like the complete loser that he is.
Sunak can't get an agreement without my involvement and agreement.
Yes he can...flip off to your memoirs and after dinner speeches you complete shirt.
Flipping shame we are not in the tavern.

Johnson should keep quiet given the array of messages that were leaked out by a 'journalist' who happened to be shadow writing for Matt Hancock.

The political pool of idiots is far deeper than the sensible ones these days. And most of them can drown for allowing things to get the way it has.

We won’t get the rebate back and will probably have to join Schengen, at a pinch we might be able to negotiate not having the Euro but it would be difficult.
I’ve said all along there was an argument for a closer relationship with the EU, I would have quite happily voted to be part of Schengen and the Euro.
If the EU also went for a single language (English) then it would be an even better deal.

Not at all, why shouldn’t greater alignment have been part of the discussion?
The obvious next stage of alignment would surely be a discussion around language?

I genuinely don't understand if you are being serious. I mean, there was a vague attempt at this with Esperanto, but it totally failed. Language is an enrichment of society and part of identity - homogenising it by forcing English on Europeans would be an insult to the diversity of the continent. I spent four years doing a degree in French Studies, and the idea that you would ever seek to compel all countries to adopt a common language based on what a language represents to the society in which it operates is totally unrealistic, borderline madness.

The best ways to align are through removal of trade barriers and having common standards to ensure it operates transparently. We've left the Single Market, though, so are actually moving in the opposite direction and language skills in the UK have worsened in the past decade - with languages at GCSE, A Level and Undergraduate all falling in terms of uptake.

Last edited:
Not at all, why shouldn’t greater alignment have been part of the discussion?
The obvious next stage of alignment would surely be a discussion around language?

I mean this is hilarious. If this did happen, but the alignment was to, say, German, would you still support the idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk