• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Brexit Thread

In a very intriguing development, it appears that Parliament is about to have its first ever debate on the consequences of Brexit after a petition passed 100,000 signatures: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-debate-mps-parliament-petition-b2269822.html

An inquiry into the impact of Brexit from both an economic viewpoint and a wider one is being sought by anti-Brexit campaigners, and this is what is being debated.

Given that public discontent with Brexit has risen drastically in the past year, it should be an intriguing inquiry if it goes ahead.

Public opinion has drastically turned against Brexit; 65% of voters now believe that it has “gone badly”, as per a recent Opinium poll, with only 21% believing that it has “gone well”. It is also thought that 57% of voters would now be in support of reversing Brexit and rejoining the EU, compared with 43% who wouldn’t.

I was going to say, I wouldn't expect anything exciting from this. When petitions reach that number they have to have a session debating it in the house but it's usually just a token gesture. They're not bound to do anything and MP's don't have to turn up. It's usually a minister turns up with a small hand full of back benchers on either side, they shout at the minister across a mostly empty chamber for half an hour, he/she just deflects everything, a couple of members have a nap whilst it's all going on. Nothing is achieved and it's never mentioned again.

Nothing will happen with this. The government will just roll out their usual trope about how they're upholding the democratic will of the people. Move along now, nothing to see here.

Maybe we'll get a public inquiry in twenty years when most of this shambles has been undone.

Considering its still a dirty word in parliament (can't think why) any discussion will be minimal at best.

And that debate will end up in the usual veiled childish insults and bluster that any debate in the commons seems to. Finest Eton training after all.

I do find it amusing that they have responded with "The UK’s departure from the EU was a democratic choice and the UK-EU institutions are functioning as intended.". I'm not sure many things such as passport checks and import/export are functioning well, they are functioning I guess but not in a way that makes any user happy.

I find it such a bizarre concept that thousands of laws face disappearing off the statue books by the end of the year, not because they're bad laws, but simply because of where they come from. If that's not cultish ideology I don't know what is.

I find it such a bizarre concept that thousands of laws face disappearing off the statue books by the end of the year, not because they're bad laws, but simply because of where they come from. If that's not cultish ideology I don't know what is.

Just another day on Normal Island.

What a hole the UK is in.

_128604795_observer-nc.png

Whilst they're at it, any chance of some cross-party talks about why the country is crime ridden, the housing crisis, why foreign companies own a lot of our infrastructure and the companies operating here, why childcare is so expensive to the point where it's not worth many women going to work anymore, why our care system is so rubbish, why our hospitals and doctors are not fit for purpose, why the road network is always clogged etc etc etc?

Whilst they're at it, any chance of some cross-party talks about why the country is crime ridden, the housing crisis, why foreign companies own a lot of our infrastructure and the companies operating here, why childcare is so expensive to the point where it's not worth many women going to work anymore, why our care system is so rubbish, why our hospitals and doctors are not fit for purpose, why the road network is always clogged etc etc etc?
Regrettably, I don't think the party in power are going to seek Labour's advice on their failings since 2010.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

To listen to Sunak talk through all the 'great things' achieved today to remove the Irish Sea barriers for Norther Ireland.

All of these problems STILL EXIST between the UK and EU - and I never heard these lying remainers talk about all of these 'problems' when we were leaving.

Liars. The very issue of the NI agreement today demonstrates just what we have lost on leaving the EU.

Insane.

Have we not got over this yet?

It would be like me still banging on about why they shouldn't have removed the wild mouse over on the Blackpool Pleasure Beach thread.

Oh, hang on ....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

It would be like me still banging on about why they shouldn't have removed the wild mouse over on the Blackpool Pleasure Beach thread.

Oh, hang on ....

Well no we haven’t because the supermarkets are empty of veg and the government is renegotiating a deal they made but then decided they didn’t like.

Oh, hang on ....

No, we haven't. In fact, all polls point to a shift in attitudes to the whole song and dance since it happened.

I am not over it, and probably won't ever get over it. So get over that,

Notwithstanding that Brexit is still a big steaming pile, I find this interesting because it shows a shift in mindset. The previous two Prime Ministers were preparing to illegally rewrite an international treaty. It's actually refreshing to see the government not being held hostage by the ERG for the first time and taking a more pragmatic approach.

Let's just see what the backbenchers and the DUP do next...

So to confirm then. No we haven't gotten over it

I haven't gotten over the ending to Blake 7 to be fair.

And @rob666 still weeps for the reel