• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Brexit Thread

I’m off to Palma shortly and it sounds like they are in just as bad a mess as us and they are in the EU

Dreading it!!!

No one is saying that brexit is causing the problems, just that they are being amplified.

Same with the economy, the root cause is post covid and Ukraine so the world is struggling but the UK is feeling the pain more as we also have brexit.

Sometimes personal ideology holds a higher value to the individual than economic returns.
I quit full time working to support members of my family and bring in a proper work life balance, twenty years ago.
Never regretted doing it.
Was I wrong in doing that?
No, personal choice.
Understand that other people want different goals than you.
We are not all the same.

Sometimes personal ideology holds a higher value to the individual than economic returns.
I quit full time working to support members of my family and bring in a proper work life balance, twenty years ago.
No, personal choice.
We are not all the same.

I get where you are coming from and although I agree that people have the right to make their own decisions on their personal priorities, I think your decisions in your post had absolute tangible benefits, unlike the idea of “independence” which we had anyway and brexit has neither increased nor benefited.

Plus just because someone has a right to hold a belief doesn’t mean it can’t be questioned or criticised so long as it’s done with some respect.

Absolutely.
The conflicts between the individual and group freedoms.
Back to the Manics album...
This is my truth, tell me yours.
And we simply don't know the real "results" from brexit yet, where in future history do we put the finishing line?

Well there's a benefit for Apple still being able to flog their own chargers to the UK since the EU are bringing in the USB-C thing.

Yeah I doubt Apple are going to do anything special just for the UK.
They've already switched the "wall" end of the iPhone cable in the box to USB-C

No, personal choice.
We are not all the same.
You see, that makes perfect sense. Your life was improved by those changes.

However I would be surprised to hear if anybody's life has been improved because of Brexit. It could be monetary but it could be other things such as improved standards of living, better work life balance, less red tape in their workplace, safer communities etc. I personally doubt that anybody has noticed any improvements in their life.
Yeah I doubt Apple are going to do anything special just for the UK.
And this right here is the nonsense of "taking back control". Manufacturers won't make something special for the UK market. We will still get products made to EU standards but have no say in those standards.

Of course a British manufacturer could make something specific for the UK market but then they can't sell it to the EU market. Divergence doesn't help anybody.

I think this is nothing to do with Brexit, it will have the same outcome if we were in the EU or not, simply apple will just change there plugs for everywhere, will make manufacturing cheaper, rather than selling two types.

I think this is nothing to do with Brexit, it will have the same outcome if we were in the EU or not, simply apple will just change there plugs for everywhere, will make manufacturing cheaper, rather than selling two types.

But if we were in the EU, our MEPs could have said this is a great/bad idea and had influence over the process. Its likely the end result would have been the same as USB-C makes sense right now as a standard, but we would have had input/control over those regulations if we wanted to say something.

I look forward to being able to buy my beer in pints, measure my height in feet and inches, my weight in stone and pounds, for distances to be measured in miles and yards and speed limits in miles per hour. Thank god for Brexit for giving us this opportunity.

I look forward to being able to buy my beer in pints, measure my height in feet and inches, my weight in stone and pounds, for distances to be measured in miles and yards and speed limits in miles per hour. Thank god for Brexit for giving us this opportunity.
A lot of these things already happened before Brexit, didn’t they?

What will Boris’ plans actually change?

A lot of these things already happened before Brexit, didn’t they?
That's the joke.

(all the examples Alsty gave are exceptions to the previous laws).

What will Boris’ plans actually change?

The proposal is mainly about giving shops/manufacturers the option to display only imperial measures. So instead of the milk being labelled 4 pints 2.21 litres it could just say 4 pints. Or a current 454g pack of sausages could be 1lb.

I don't expect it to go through and even if it does 99.9% of food producers will continue as they are with either dual metric and imperial or metric only.

There might be a law stating they have to label with both, but again I can't see that happening.

What a stupid waste of money. It's funny when Boris and his mates tell us the conservatives are the one's who are careful with money when I'd say this government has wasted more than any other I can think of. How much was it they wasted on track and trace again? What about PPE that was rubbish? How much are these flights to Rwanda and then paying the Rwandan government too? Just like this governments stupidity the list of money wasting schemes is endless.

The consultation is a farce anyway. No option to keep things unchanged. Only to go to imperial only, or imperial and metric.

When the country finds itself in an economic crisis it's good to see the government prioritising important things like this over families having food on the table.

I wonder if we'll get "imperial martyrs" being prosecuted for daring to sell in grams? 🤣