• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Brexit Thread

Wholly agree on this, and hopefully once EES is up and running and a deal with data sharing is done, e-gates can once again be used by UK passport holders.
Yes definatley, it will ease border congestion on both sides and mean that staff shortages have less of an impact. Also I hate the idea (with the US too) that these e-visa's that aren't e-visa's are accepted when countries have agreeded visa free travel. For a US citizen they just have to turn up to the UK border while UK citizens entering the US have to fill out an online form and pay a fee (will soon be the same with europe). I understand having visa/e-visa requirments with countries we share less info with but with Europe (and the US) this should not need to be the case.

Also I hate the idea (with the US too) that these e-visa's that aren't e-visa's are accepted when countries have agreeded visa free travel. For a US citizen they just have to turn up to the UK border while UK citizens entering the US have to fill out an online form and pay a fee (will soon be the same with europe). I understand having visa/e-visa requirments with countries we share less info with but with Europe (and the US) this should not need to be the case.
Only for the time being, it's coming though. The UK are rolling out an Electronic Travel Authorisation - ETA which will be available to Qatar first in October, then other Middle Eastern nations from March 2024. The aim is to roll it out worldwide (with the exception of British and Irish nationals visiting the UK) by the end of the 2024. You'll pretty much need some sort of pre application - be that visa or visa waiver pretty much wherever you go in the next few years.

Only for the time being, it's coming though. The UK are rolling out an Electronic Travel Authorisation - ETA which will be available to Qatar first in October, then other Middle Eastern nations from March 2024. The aim is to roll it out worldwide (with the exception of British and Irish nationals visiting the UK) by the end of the 2024. You'll pretty much need some sort of pre application - be that visa or visa waiver pretty much wherever you go in the next few years.
I'm aware we are implementing the system (although I forgot) and it's going to be annoying to need some kind of visa to travel anywhere. I am actually in favour of a system like this but not when you've got really close agreements with countries and you know you can trust there law enforcement and justice systems to an extent.

Brexit is not really going that well is it?

UK to retain EU safety marks. We have gone from being part of the group who make the rules, to just having to follow what ever rules the EU wants to set now. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/01/uk-eu-safety-mark-brexit-climbdown

Brexit checks on fresh farm produce coming to the UK from the EU have been delayed for the fifth time. While UK Farmers have to go through all the checks when exporting to the EU, EU farmers dont when exporting to the UK.

Brexit is not really going that well is it?

UK to retain EU safety marks. We have gone from being part of the group who make the rules, to just having to follow what ever rules the EU wants to set now. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/01/uk-eu-safety-mark-brexit-climbdown

Brexit checks on fresh farm produce coming to the UK from the EU have been delayed for the fifth time. While UK Farmers have to go through all the checks when exporting to the EU, EU farmers dont when exporting to the UK.

What happened to TAKING BACK CONTROL of our laws and borders?

We had more control when in the EU as had a lot more influence over policy!

It is wonderful to finally see the majority of mainstream media reporting on the wide ranging polls that now show a majority of people in Britain wish to re-join the European Union. The endless lies are dissipating, many of the architects of the entire project are disappearing into their own holes and facts are starting to speak for themselves. The fact that Nigel Farage says that Brexit has failed is also aiding the cause.

All of this is the first step in the journey to membership of the European Union

Last edited:
Ah so this was the plan all along, the problem was we had too much input to what happened in the EU, pull out then rejoin and we no longer have those privileges as being one of the first countries involved.
Step 2 ???
Step 3 Profit?

New Checks when entering the uk mean it will take 5-6 times longer than it currently takes per family to get through board control at Le Shuttle, and it’s already not a great experience during the school holidays.

Good job the ready made open trade deal with the US is good to go, oh wait, that’s being scrapped and pushed in to the long grass as well now.

Brexit is not working, in theory there may be benefits but they don’t work in the real world, the sooner we rejoin the better.

Currently 150 min queues at French border control at Dover.

This simply didn't happen aside from industrial action pre Brexit.

Been a while since I posted here - any tangible Brexit benefits yet?

What the “pints of wine” headline doesn’t reveal is that 98.7% of Brits rejected the proposed return to the imperial system in the government’s survey on the matter, so the plan has now been scrapped: https://www.gbnews.com/politics/imperial-measurements-brexit-rishi-sunak

I am glad about this decision, personally. I didn’t really see any benefit of returning to the imperial system when the majority of countries use metric, and metric has been used in Britain since 1965 (before our entry into the EU, might I add).

Also, I don’t quite get what the benefit of pint bottles of wine is when you can already buy 500ml bottles, personally...

Currently 150 min queues at French border control at Dover.

This simply didn't happen aside from industrial action pre Brexit.

Been a while since I posted here - any tangible Brexit benefits yet?
Nothing has been implemented, but the possibilities are still there unused.

Just waiting for the now-allowed state aid to kick in for our steel industry.

None (and they don't need to be British), but the argument from the Conservative government a couple of years ago was that state aid couldn't be provided because we were in the EU.

Took 150 minutes to pass through French then UK border controls today at the Port of Calais.

This is no way to operate society. It is unconscionable that this could now be the status quo.

It will simply deter tourism in all directions.

It ruined the end of my holiday.

Maybe, just maybe, discouraging tourism in all directions will be the saviour of the planet long term.
We have just had the second hottest year ever, without a "real" summer.
Also one of the wettest years ever, with crisis conditions for all our farmers.
Holidays aren't essential, they are the icing on a cake that is being very, very overcooked...
And nobody seems willing to help turn the oven off.
Selfish desires, burn like fire.