• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Future- 5 year plan

ThemeParkCrafter

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Th13teen
This topic is about what you want/ expect from Alton Towers in the next 5 years. Set it out as:

2016-
2017-
2018-
2019-
2020-

For me it is
2016- Air rethemed with new shows in the resort.
2017- New thrill flat rides in both Dark Forest and Forbidden Valley
2018- SW8 opens being a terrain coaster
2019- New rides in Cloud Cuckoo Land
2020- Gloomy Wood with Duel rethemed/ improved

2016- What little theme Air had is ruined, cut back cleaning staff unable to cope with the tide of vomit now spewing forth from motion sick guests thanks to VR, leading to many guests catching cholera. Further bad press results in no one but die hard fans even going near the park. Sub Terra and Smiler remain closed.
2017- All remaining flats closed or removed, with no replacements. Scarefest cancelled. Park only open weekends off peak.
2018- Charlie SBNO. Nemesis station theming removed, a la Dragon Falls. Fireworks cancelled.
2019- The whole of Dark Forest condemned and sealed off. Duel SBNO. Remaining rides opperated on rotation like some cheap seaside fairground on a quiet day.
2020- Park sold to higest bidder. Merlin executives strip out as much copper wire as they can fill their cars with as they scarper.

My, you are in a cheerful mood this evening!

One small correction:
2020- Park sold to higest a bidder. Merlin executives strip out as much copper wire as they can fill their cars with as they scarper.

2016: Air redone, rest of Forbidden Valley spruced up, cleaned and painted.
2017: General resort tidy, painting, cleaning, repair. Stuff that should have been done incrementally over closed seasons but wasn't so now needs a longer period to get it all done. Probably including rolling closures like Disney to get it all done. Maybe a new, cheap, flat in Dark Forest. Or something done with the flume. Or both!
2018: SW8, if it's anything like Lightning Rod at Dollywood it'll sell itself!
2019: New children's area, or at least a refresh of Cloud Cuckoo Land. Maybe the start of a Six Flag style equipment swap, with moveable kids rides being swapped between the parks on a 4-6 year basis. Long enough for kids to grow up with them, but not too long that they get bored with them
2020: Duel refreshed, reverted back to a simple haunted house possibly expanded. Maybe replace Duel's extended queue with a short, fun, haunted fun house similar to Hotel Tartuff at Phantasialand

Last edited:
2016- Air ruined
2017- New thrilling feedback kiosk and a world's first: most upselling photo booth on towers street!
2018- SW8 opens late
2019- hotel and spa extension so they can make even more money
2020- the smiler finally opens,
Fixed that for you

Seriously though, provided SW8 opens in 2018, there will be a 5 year gap between New rides being added (13- the smiler, 14-cebebees land, 15- enchanted village, 16- air, 17- could be a small ride but I doubt it, 18- SW8)

2016 - Small retheme of Air + A KMG Afterburner plonked in the middle of Dark Forest filled with fog lights that light up the entire area. Ripsaw falls apart.
2017 - Cbeebies expansion + all trees in dark forest except 1 cut down.
2018 - SW8 - a inverted backwards wooden cross valley coaster complete with Fire Ring element.
2019 - Dancing fountain show like the one found at Blackpool only with the music out of sync with the fountains and half the fountains not working.
2020 - Sonic removed, replacement coaster built in it's place.

I think we'll see a project titled a Secret Weapon in the next 5 years, although something more family thrill based, rather than a 1.4m ride, so it'll be cheaper. Outside of that I honestly cannot see much investment happening over the next few years. I'm expecting smaller projects each season, with some marketing spins to make it out like they have more 'new' stuff than they actually do. Like I can see Air's retheme being advertised as "New for 2016" next year, even though we all know it will be the exact same ride with a new name and some gimmick thrown on top.

2016- Air retheme has mix response. rise in litter due to cuts to cleaning staff
2017- A part of nemesis station falls on guest, It rethemed to nemesis monster being contained in shipping contain type structure. due to drop in cleaning for a second year, a new stronger strain of MRSA has developed in the toilet block near Dark forest.
2018- Charlie SBNO. due to dysentery bugs in the water. after last year MRSA breakout the enchanted villege is being used as emergency housing for homeless 18s from care.
2019- with enchanted villege destroyed. income for merlin is looking desperate, until there new unknown division MerPharm hit the headlines with a groundbreaking MRSA treatment and cleaning products.
2020- The money from MerPharm get put back into the park, including new robotic toilet cleaners.

My Guesses for the next 5 years are they will go for safe bets to bring back guests. So family rides and events. If we see another coaster it will be a family coaster, something on 13's level and will be marketed as such. But I think we are more likely to see dark rides/experiences rather than coasters. I think the big trigger will be how well the new Derren Brown attraction at Thorpe does. If it does well then a similar styled attraction would become the next SW. If it does badly then I think we will get something more coastery.

Well, here is what I expect:
  • 2016 - Air given VR treatment as part of it's 're-furb', Food Loop restaurant opens
  • 2017 - a new ride for CBeebies Land
  • 2018 - major investment, hopefully a coaster which will be much needed. If they can get an IP on board to provide extra funding we can hope for the cancelled 2017 woodie
  • 2019 - small scale family-thrill flat
  • 2020 - something CBeebies again
And here is what I would like:
  • 2016 - Air given the theming it was meant to have when it opened rather than being ripped apart with a new theme and possible VR. Whole park given a tidy and freshen up, Dark Forest totally re-worked with scaffold tunnel replaced with a permanent and asthetically pleasing theming structure
  • 2017 - one thrill flat for a the park (maybe for Dark Forest) along with a new childrens ride for CBeebies (pull in the thrill seekers and the families)
  • 2018 - SW8, epic terrain hugging RMC ala Wildfire and Lightning Rod
  • 2019 - Removal of Sonic (it's not that I don't like it but it's going to go sooner or later) and further expansion of CBeebies Land with multiple new rides and experience
  • 2020 - total re-theme of either Duel or Charlie including new ride systems to give the park a good dark ride
:)

If I had my wishes:

2016: A good scrub up, Air theme improved, Nemesis theming restored and Ripsaw removed. Create a boundary between the rest of Forbidden Valley and Air, with the latter being a flight-themed area.
2017: Install a flat like Air Race in place of Ripsaw, and a modern equivalent of the Junior Flyer behind Air extending into the car park. Heck, retheme Twirling Toadstool with lightweight planes and dump that there too. Anything to just give Air a theme that fits.
2018: Dark Forest theme restoration. New trains for Rita with bodywork in the style of Thirteen, replace the protective scaffolding with a casting of an entangled oak tree, much like the one on the end of the Thirteen main building. Replace the 'traffic lights' of Rita with video screens of Dark Forest investigators urging you to get out and escape the creepy girl before the ride launches your escape. Remove half of the up-selling rubbish from that area.
2019: Terrain-hugging cross-valley wooden coaster with the station in the pit of Blade. Sorry the re-use the escape theme again, but have the ride run close to the eye of the Nemesis monster at slow speed, then have the eye of the Nemesis monster open beside the riders, resulting in the release of the trim brakes to speed down a small hill and onto the main lift hill. Escape the Nemesis monster on the cross-valley course, keeping close to the ground and amongst the trees to evade its gaze. Have Nemesis-themed props alongs which the trains have to turn tightly, or change elevation to avoid.
2020: Rename Duel as Dual, have the first half of the ride as the Haunted House with no targets, then, in the depths of the house, you must fight your way out using the guns provided as you would in Duel.

2016- RMC - there's still time, right? :/
2017- B&M Hyper in air/galactica car-park & over FV.
2018- Gringotts V2 to replace duel.
2019- CBeebies Expansion - Intamin Megalite. Charlie re-themed/re-equipped to be Transformers V2.
2020- B&M Launched Winged coaster to replace the Flume.

Reactions: Rob
A mixture of dreams and more likely themes:
2016 - Air Retheme and restauraunt rejuvenates area, some vending machines moved from there with this increased eatery to other areas of the park where they are more "needed" like outside CATCF (to at least give the area a bit more purpose). Nothing else happens as the park tries to cope with the same resources on less staff.
2017 - With The Smiler incident lingering still in the publics minds and signs of a slow-recovery period in 2016 from the bits of Air Marketing, Towers reinforce a safer image and expand Cbeebies Land by removing/replacing Sonic Spinball with areas of a new hot Cbeebies show/one with great longevity that is a crowd puller like the new Teletubbies. In addition to this Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is SBNO, with a hyped reopening as something new in 2018 to go alongside SW8.
2018 - SW8 goes through rigorous testing and is in the sacred turf of FV as The Blade and Ripsaw are no more - if not earlier. CCL also goes under some sort of rejuvenation as Ice Age has been playing the same film for years now. Anything but Minions.
2019 - Some new funky flatride is installed somewhere. Focus on expanding the resort.
2020 - Something does indeed replaces The Flume. Anything. SW9 maybe?

The Smiler incident will hurt the LTDP for sure which is why dates are so radical from what is expected.

Here is my personal prediction
2016-Smiler reopens with either a positive reaction or negative reaction from the public. Air given a total retheme with possible VR. Ripsaw and Flume are retired and removed from the park. General clean up of Forbidden Valley and Cloud Cuckoo Land. Possible removal of Nemesis Sub Terra due to the current problems with it.
2017-Some new flat rides arrive at the park to replace Ripsaw and maybe Submission. Blade is retired. Charlie is rebranded as something fresh or new. Twirling Toadstool is possibly rethemed. Possible construction on SW8 starts at end of season.
2018-SW8 opens. Expansion to CBeebies land of a couple of kiddie flats and maybe a Larson Flying Scooters ride. Duel is revamped. Some new shows and games added to the Resort. HUSS Breakdance 4 is installed in Mutiny Bay or in Flume`s location.
2019-Chance Wipeout installed in Adventure Land. A whole range of thrill Flats arrive in Forbidden Valley, Dark Forest and X Sector. Flume returns after a long needed overhaul. New dark ride is installed in Cbeebies land.
2020-New family coaster arrives and is installed in the Adventure Land area.
Thanks For reading!
:)