• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Gay Marriage Topic!

I've just been reading comments on Barack Obama's photo on his Facebook page regarding gay marriage. I'm gonna be honest, it sickens me, the amount of people who are against it. There are thousands of people saying "It's disgusting, it's against God's wishes" and "This is why America's standards are falling", yet there are only a handful of people who are 100% for for civil partnerships!

It's the 21st century, we're not in a God orientated society anymore! People should be able to marry who the hell they like. Same sex or not!

America never was. It's written into their constitution that it is a secular country. The founding fathers expressed disdain for organised religion. It's a shame so many Americans don't have a clue about their own country or the world in general.

They're the same sort of people who have just made it ok to teach Creationism in science class and that the Loch Ness Monster is real (no, really, this is happening). Luckily, the Republicans are on course to be destroyed in the election, so hopefully Obama can push through with his plans to make it legal, but he'll have a lot of trouble with the uninformed, deeply conservative red states.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TBd-UCwVAY[/youtube]

I choked up inside, this video truly is adorable and it should encourage more people to stand for equal marriage. It's lovely to see two people be so happy.

599772_482854455076405_815880598_n.jpg

I liked this image a friend posted on Facebook.

Ian

Not directly linked to gay marriage, although it does throw in a few references, is this interesting article about a gay activist who went undercover at an anti-gay conference. I found it to be an incredibly interesting read, and was frankly horrified at some of the vile and disgusting things that the speakers were saying.

Jonathan said:
Not directly linked to gay marriage, although it does throw in a few references, is this interesting article about a gay activist who went undercover at an anti-gay conference. I found it to be an incredibly interesting read, and was frankly horrified at some of the vile and disgusting things that the speakers were saying.

A very good read. It still shocks me how hateful these people can be.

Just found this.

Wow. Just WOW. Apparently Ann thinks *we're* the bigots because we want to live our lives free from interference from fundamentalists.

Note that the tweet is referring to Ann Widdecombe.

Words fail me. :mad:

Anne Widdecombe's a massive idiot anyway, I find her embarrassing attempts at being a social commentator and moraliser amusing.

It gets better. Most Tories think allowing gay marriage will hurt the party, and Lord Carey has compared it to Nazi Germany.

Now words fail me.

Lord Carey needs to get out his history books and look up the pink triangle.

Idiot!

This makes me angry, mostly because she is implying that Stonewall WANT to remove the terms 'husband' and 'wife'. It's ridiculous. When Simon and I marry, we will be each others husband. Gay marriage takes nothing away from this term

EuroSatch said:
This makes me angry, mostly because she is implying that Stonewall WANT to remove the terms 'husband' and 'wife'.

Out of interest, why have you mentioned Sonewall? They were quite late to the gay marriage campaign, and as much as they act like its all their own initiative, they haven't really done much.

Late comer to this topic...

Just wanted to add, I am of the Live and let Live fraternity. Also, I worked in catering whilst at college and after, and most of my social life was the gay scene. A close relative of mine is gay, living happily with his partner - and the pair of them believe that I am camper than most gay men! ;D

I've told them, they make crap gays! They're far too normal!!

In seriousness (though, what I have said there, is actually true :D) - so long as what people do, does not hurt others, people should be free to live their lives as they see fit. To be still having this debate, or indeed debates on racism etc, in the 21st century, is quite extraordinary.

My relative has been subjected to some pretty hateful stuff, I hope that no one on here has been subjected to similar due to their sexual predisposition... (I won't use the word, preference, as it implies a choice... for example, bondage is a preference ;D)

Anyway, just lending my support and hopes for your rights to live as you choose.

TheMan

I've been worrying a lot about this recently. I'm really worried that it could go the other way, if reasonable nice people don't speak up.

So I'm going to ask again if anyone wants one of the beautiful custom user bars that I'm sporting below! Just PM me if you do and I'll make one for you. :)

This subject is in the news again, after a man won his case against his employers for demoting him after calling gay marriage an "equality too far" on facebook.

Whilst it's pretty clear that from a legal standpoint his employers were in the wrong, it's still a shame that he was able to use the trial as a platform to speak out against equality.

That's really harmed our case. It's a shame, because the employers clearly thought they were doing something good for LGBT rights, but actually it's set us back a bit. Of course, if the man was head of equality or something, it would be appropriate to fire him. But in this case, it had nothing to do with his job, and he shouldn't have been demoted.

If you don't already, why not give the Out4Marriage campaign a big 'LIKE'? :)

Another silly story today, this time from Sheffield:

PinkNews said:
UK: Christian man refuses to drive bus because of Stonewall gay rights poster

Stonewall has criticised a Yorkshire bus driver after he allegedly refused to operate a bus because it displayed an advert for the gay rights charity on its exterior.

According to the Daily Mail, the unnamed driver would not get on the X78 from Rotherham to Sheffield, and passengers were left stranded on the vehicle for twenty minutes.

Among those on the bus was Rebecca Neill, 25, from Herringthorpe, South Yorkshire.

She told the Mail “There were quite a few passengers arguing with him and several drivers as well. Someone was shouting at him: ‘You can’t do that, it’s disgusting.’

“Then another driver got on and explained what was going on. He apologised and said that the poster wasn’t acceptable to this Christian, but that he didn’t agree with what the guy was doing.”

Eventually, the next X78 service arrived and its driver swapped buses with the protester.

In response to the incident, Stonewall’s Information Officer Louise Kelly said: “Passengers in Rotherham can rightly expect bus drivers to do the job they pay them to do – drive buses.

“If they are unwilling to, perhaps they should look for another job.”

A spokesman for bus operator First Group said: “We are aware of an incident involving one of our drivers refusing to drive a bus at Rotherham Interchange.

“We have spoken to the driver in question and the matter has now been resolved. We would like to apologise to any customers that were affected during this isolated incident.”

Stonewall’s “Some people are gay. Get over it!” adverts were placed on around 1,000 buses in London earlier this year.

However, the decision was met with criticism by religious anti-gay protesters, who tried unsuccessfully to place adverts which read: “Not gay! Post-gay, ex-gay and proud. Get over it!” on a smaller number of buses.

The move was subsequently blocked by London Mayor Boris Johnson.