• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Hotels: A Journey

I can confirm that Europa-Park's hotels are, finally, cheaper than Alton Towers on most weekends. I never thought the day would come when the splendour of Bell Rock would work out cheaper than the dirge of Splash Landings.

And remember - all these comparisons with European hotels... that is with a bad exchange rate!

Am I correct in saying that Bell Rock is EP's most expensive hotel, and a 4* Superior like Colosseo is? Or is it a 5* hotel?

I just came across Disney’s Art of Animation Resort at Walt Disney World (arguably a fairer comparison to Splash than most EP hotels) for £230 on the same date. All-Star Sports Resort for even less than that at about £140.

Even factoring in eye-wateringly expensive one day, one park tickets for two people (£260 based on the highest price band) on top you’re still coming out cheaper than Towers.

Madness.

Let's do a price comparison of Europa Park and Alton Towers, Friday-Monday, on an arbitrary weekend in July. For fun, I'll go with the weekend of my birthday, so we'd hypothetically be staying in the hotel for 3 nights, arriving on Friday 28th July 2023 and leaving on Monday 31st July 2023.

I’ll see what the cheapest room I can find at each accommodation option of each resort is.
Europa Park (Bed & Breakfast)
  1. Tent space at Europa Park Camp Resort - €111 (£98.62)
  2. 6-bed tipi at Europa Park Camp Resort - €624 (£554.63)
  3. Standard Room Plus at Hotel El Andaluz (4*) - €714 (£634.44)
  4. Standard Room at Hotel Castillo Alcazar (4*) - €714 (£634.44)
  5. Standard Room at Hotel Santa Isabel (4* Superior) - €828 (£735.69)
  6. Standard Room at Hotel Colosseo (4* Superior) - €828 (£735.69)
  7. Standard Room at Hotel Krønasar (4* Superior) - €828 (£735.69)
  8. Comfort Room at Hotel Bell Rock (4* Superior) - €1,173 (£1,042.26)
Alton Towers (Bed & Breakfast)
  1. Stargazing Pods - £610
  2. Woodland Lodge at Enchanted Village (4*) - £882
  3. Explorer Room at Alton Towers Hotel (4*) - £887
  4. Beachcomber Room at Splash Landings Hotel (3*) - £1,017
  5. Bugbies Room at CBeebies Land (4*) - £1,172
Is it me, or is it odd how Splash Landings is significantly more expensive than the Alton Towers Hotel even though its star rating is lower?

Last edited:
Let's do a price comparison of Europa Park and Alton Towers, Friday-Monday, on an arbitrary weekend in July. For fun, I'll go with the weekend of my birthday, so we'd hypothetically be staying in the hotel for 3 nights, arriving on Friday 28th July 2023 and leaving on Monday 31st July 2023.

I’ll see what the cheapest room I can find at each accommodation option of each resort is.
Europa Park (Bed & Breakfast)
  1. Tent space at Europa Park Camp Resort - €111 (£98.62)
  2. 6-bed tipi at Europa Park Camp Resort - €624 (£554.63)
  3. Standard Room Plus at Hotel El Andaluz (4*) - €714 (£634.44)
  4. Standard Room at Hotel Castillo Alcazar (4*) - €714 (£634.44)
  5. Standard Room at Hotel Santa Isabel (4* Superior) - €828 (£735.69)
  6. Standard Room at Hotel Colosseo (4* Superior) - €828 (£735.69)
  7. Standard Room at Hotel Krønasar (4* Superior) - €828 (£735.69)
  8. Comfort Room at Hotel Bell Rock (4* Superior) - €1,173 (£1,042.26)
Alton Towers (Bed & Breakfast)
  1. Stargazing Pods - £610
  2. Woodland Lodge at Enchanted Village (4*) - £882
  3. Explorer Room at Alton Towers Hotel (4*) - £887
  4. Beachcomber Room at Splash Landings Hotel (3*) - £1,017
  5. Bugbies Room at CBeebies Land (4*) - £1,172
Is it me, or is it odd how Splash Landings is significantly more expensive than the Alton Towers Hotel even though its star rating is lower?

The worst part is that you can stay at a 5* Mayfair hotel for less than a pig shed...

1673561562937.png

Weekends and Scarefest are always going to be the most expensive, so I thought I'd check the complete other end of the spectrum and see how they bottom out. This is a Tuesday night, late April, after the kids have gone back to school and Easter is out the way. Not many days through the year will be quieter than these.

ATH and Splash both £187
EV £192
CBB £262.

I've paid less than this for Scarefest stays just a couple of years ago. I stayed on a relatively busy summer's Friday night last year for £280 and I thought that was a rip off at the time.

I'm intrigued to know what angle they're going for with this. Is it a case of them getting away with outrageous increases last year so decided to go again to see what the breaking point is? Prep for a fake DFS style "Sale"? Sacraficing volume for margin? Should be interesting to see what happens.

Weekends and Scarefest are always going to be the most expensive, so I thought I'd check the complete other end of the spectrum and see how they bottom out. This is a Tuesday night, late April, after the kids have gone back to school and Easter is out the way. Not many days through the year will be quieter than these.

ATH and Splash both £187
EV £192
CBB £262.

I've paid less than this for Scarefest stays just a couple of years ago. I stayed on a relatively busy summer's Friday night last year for £280 and I thought that was a rip off at the time.

I'm intrigued to know what angle they're going for with this. Is it a case of them getting away with outrageous increases last year so decided to go again to see what the breaking point is? Prep for a fake DFS style "Sale"? Sacraficing volume for margin? Should be interesting to see what happens.
That sounds relatively cheap, in fairness! I'll take a look at EP and see how they compare on a similar night...
EDIT: On Tuesday 25th April, the Europa Park room rates were as follows:
  1. Standard Room at Hotel El Andaluz (4*) - £132.20
  2. Small Deluxe Room at Hotel Castillo Alcazar (4*) - £231.71
  3. Standard Room at Hotel Santa Isabel (4* Superior) - £153.53
  4. Standard Room at Hotel Bell Rock (4* Superior) - £153.53
  5. Standard Room at Hotel Colosseo (4* Superior) - £153.53
  6. Standard Room at Hotel Kronasar (4* Superior) - £153.53

Last edited:
That sounds relatively cheap, in fairness! I'll take a look at EP and see how they compare on a similar night...
EDIT: On Tuesday 25th April, the Europa Park room rates were as follows:
  1. Standard Room at Hotel El Andaluz (4*) - £132.20
  2. Small Deluxe Room at Hotel Castillo Alcazar (4*) - £231.71
  3. Standard Room at Hotel Santa Isabel (4* Superior) - £153.53
  4. Standard Room at Hotel Bell Rock (4* Superior) - £153.53
  5. Standard Room at Hotel Colosseo (4* Superior) - £153.53
  6. Standard Room at Hotel Kronasar (4* Superior) - £153.53
So not cheap then? All of those prices bar one is less expensive than every option at Towers. Let's not forget it's also Europa Park and the quality difference is enormous.

Last edited:
People are prepared to pay that, and Merlin know what they are doing.
The hotels get rammed in the school holidays, they put up the prices to maximise profits...there are few alternatives if you want to stay on site at a large uk theme park...there are more alternatives in Europe, and prices show that.
Supply and demand, with hot demand in the holidays, and limited room availability...prices go up.
Want lower prices, then tell people not to visit because the prices are a rip off...
But the hotel will still sell out.

ATH and Splash both £187
EV £192
CBB £262.

From what I can tell for about £50 more than Cbeebies hotel, you could stay in a themed suite in Bell Rock.

£100 more than Cbeebies gets you into Charles Lindbergh with 2 day park tickets, evening meal, breakfast, FLY fastrack per person per day, early and evening access to Rookburgh.

£100 more than Cbeebies gets you into Charles Lindbergh with 2 day park tickets, evening meal, breakfast, FLY fastrack per person per day, early and evening access to Rookburgh.
Are you suggesting that Alton should lower their prices or Phantasialand should raise theirs ?

I don't understand this discussion at all. It's like you're all just discovering how capitalism works. If you rub two sticks together, you'll get fire, btw.