• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Hotels: A Journey

Most of the changes needed are quite basic.
Better training/pay of bar staff so they care about service.
Improved bar opening hours and communication to guests of which bars are open til what time. If Dragon bar last orders is 11pm for an 11.30 close then have clear signage and communicate that Ma Garritas is open to 2am.
Improved quality of breakfast ingrediants (across the whole breakfast, cooked items, jams, fruit everything).
Improved entertainment line-up and communication of what is happening where and when.
The return of small extras such in all rooms (such as the old top trumps card in a drawstring bag).

I disagree with the idea a rebrand would be a waste of money as it really wouldn't. Once many problems have been fixed a whole new set of branding would help to make people understand that it's changed for the better. It's a good marketing move.
Everything else I agree with, I wasn't sure if a full scale renovation would really necessary I was merely suggesting whether it might need to take place and/or whether that would help.
In terms of changes necessary I agree that all of them are fairly basic simple things that just happen to add up to make a better or worse experience.
It is clear reading through this thread that there is lots of little problems many of which could be solved quite quickly and some relatively inexpensively.

I disagree with the idea a rebrand would be a waste of money as it really wouldn't. Once many problems have been fixed a whole new set of branding would help to make people understand that it's changed for the better. It's a good marketing move.
But what brand would you change it to?
Everyone would still think of the Alton Towers Hotel or the waterpark hotel at Alton Towers. changing the name above the door doesn't tell people the breakfast quality has improved.
Actually improving it and then getting good reviews would do far more.

A whole new set of branding costs serious money.
Concepts, production of signage, marketing, advertising, uniforms, even badges, cost serious money, when there is absolutely no need for any...the brand is already popular and awareness of the brand is already high...the hotels have been busy through the recent seasons.
Money needs investing in the actual experience, not branding.

But what brand would you change it to?
Everyone would still think of the Alton Towers Hotel or the waterpark hotel at Alton Towers. changing the name above the door doesn't tell people the breakfast quality has improved.
Actually improving it and then getting good reviews would do far more.
I'm talking more of a rebrand of marketing material. A new logo perhaps and a new style (fonts for example). Maybe some new slogans and marketing bio's. Of course it shouldn't be done until changes have been made to symbolised that. Of course it would have literally no affect on people actually visiting and I never suggested it would.
I suppose the best way to put it is that if they are changing other things in the hotels it's a perfect opportunity to change the way they are marketed too.
Of course if a rebrand is going to cost too much then it might not be worth it but they'll have to do it sometime so why not do it when they are already making changes?

The brand and identity really isn’t the issue. The current brand is recognisable and familiar. For all the faults and complaints I would say the brand really isn’t that tarnished at present, so there’s no need for a re-launch (though it does seem to be the way of the past decade that no action is taken until this point is reached). What they do need to do is make sure the product is reflective of the standards and quality the brand and marketing portrays.

Things like room refurbs are easily marketed without needing a rebrand. We’ve seen the amount of noise the park created around Moon Voyager and Arctic Explorer, both of which were great improvements. The problem is it wasn’t continued throughout the entire room stock (this is one you can probably put at the pandemic’s door though).

As others have said, a big part of the frustration is that so many of the issues should, theoretically be easy fixes if the correct budget is allocated and skills assigned to the job.

Focus areas should be:
  • Improving the standard of entertainment and offering variety - It’s a family resort, but that doesn’t mean we need Kids Club every hour of the evening. Focus Margs on interactive family entertainment and reserve ATH for something more befitting such as a skilled piano player or band and maybe one or two decent vocalists).

• Creation of new spaces - Both hotels are chaotic and noisy unless you’re in your room or up late at night. There needs to be the option for a more relaxed setting. Turning Emperors into a more serene lounge setting that is still covered by Dragon Bar for service would be a simple first step.

• General increase of bar standard - Return to proper mixed drinks or reduce prices to represent the fact you’re sipping something that was poured from a carton. I have no issue drinking a Funkin cocktail. What I resent is when you’re paying £9 odd for it, when other bars will measure and mix a drink for you for less than that.

• Replacing the breakfast with higher quality ingredients - Need I say more?.. The basic breakfast concept and spread isn’t bad. Cooked breakfast, cereal, some fruit, yoghurts and pastries is a decent enough range. The problem is it’s all done so badly and on the cheap with dreadful ingredients.

• Investigate ways to offer more food choices without the need to sit down in a restaurant - Disney get this bang on with some of their hotels, offering a café type setting where you can grab a light bite like sandwiches, salads, etc. without the formality. Adding a simple bar menu would also support this, even if it just offers something like a toasted club sandwich, a simple burger, some nachos and a Caesar salad (See Spirit of St Louis).
All of the above can be actioned and have effect without the need for rebrands. You simply grab some new images, add a couple of new pages to the website to advertise new venues/offerings, and supplement with social activity (E.G post a nice shot of a cocktail, a video of a singer, etc. and let the viewer decide for themselves that it’s representative of the quality and price).

As others have said, a big part of the frustration is that so many of the issues should, theoretically be easy fixes if the correct budget is allocated and skills assigned to the job.

I think its also important that its not just about budgets for large things like room refurbs. They also need to consider that what might appear to them as a small thing, for example using Brakes own jam instead of a known brand might save a few pence per portion, but the impression it gives to customers is probably a lot more damaging. Similarly budgeting for £11 an hour for bar staff instead of £10 will probably give abetter pool of applicants who may offer better service.

I personally think the standard ATH rooms are quite low priority. Splash rooms need a lot more attention and the artic and moon voyage rooms do give options for better airconditioned rooms. Other than availability of plug sockets I don't think there was anything wrong with the standard explorer room last time I stayed in 2019.

Alright in hindsight a rebrand might not be necessary. I do think @Ian put a very good summary of how the issues can be fixed. I simply thought this thread was going in circles discussing the problems but not how they should be fixed. Ian has now done that and I agree.
I do think something like this would be necessary but not a full scale rebrand:
You simply grab some new images, add a couple of new pages to the website to advertise new venues/offerings, and supplement with social activity (E.G post a nice shot of a cocktail, a video of a singer, etc. and let the viewer decide for themselves that it’s representative of the quality and price).
Overall I’ve changed my mind and I agree lots of minor changes need to be made but no full scale refurbishments or rebranding attempts.

Doesn’t need a rebrand. And I’ve not stayed in EP hotels so I can’t compare - but I’ve not stayed in the AT hotels for over 3 years now and will not do so going forwards unless serious improvements are made.

I stayed in AT year the year it opened and stayed on resort most years. It was always the highlight of the trip and the hotels were definitely magical places to stay with lots of exclusive perks.

Over the years the perks have reduced to essentially zero, the price has rocketed up and the quality has decreased dramatically.

The rooms are dated and old. Beds are knackered. Windows don’t work. The noise when your in the hotel. No air con. The awful “entertainment” offerings. Poor bar service. Low quality food. The queues for breakfast. The 10am check out. The price. And with Covid and most importantly - the poor standards of cleanliness.

Need I go on. I usually now stay at the chained oak just down the road. £110 a night, spotless clean, very quiet, good fresh breakfast.

Or I might stay at the holiday inn express, £50 a night, free breakfast which is decent quality, air con in the room and clean quiet rooms.

Why would I opt to pay £250+ a night in the AT hotels? It’s not I can’t afford it- but I want something to justify the price. And at present- there is nothing in any of the hotels which justifies the prices being charged. Until that changes, I doubt I will stay there again.

Edit : Let me detail my last 2 visits:

Splash Landings hotel around 4 years ago with my partner - bathroom ceiling was covered in black mold. Table lamp in the room was covered in large stains. Curtains didn't close properly and the black out covering had holes in it letting light through. Bed springs were uncomfortable and bed was worn. Very noisy due to kids running amok which, to be fair isn't the fault of the hotel but these hotels seem to suffer really badly from noise compared to others I have stayed in.
Food in Secret Garden to be fair was ok that evening. Drinks service in Dragon bar was very slow however, and entertainment was worse. Went over to Splash bar where one of the security team in his jacket as he was clocking off had to make the cocktail my partner wanted behind the bar as no one else knew how to make it. It was my first time with my partner at the hotel as she hadn't been before and it was embarrassing. Card in the room told me to send my feedback to guest services about my stay - so I did, with photos of the bathroom ceiling and stained lamp shade - no reply ever.

Second visit was to Enchanted Village with the little one and my partner. I like the EV especially in the summer which this was. Requested a fan in the room pre arrival. Turned up to a miserable welcome from the reception desk. Entered room which was more like a sauna as we stayed during the summer heat wave a few years back. No fan. Went to reception, was told only Splash had fans because of the hotels "tropical climate" - that was the manager who told me that lie. Couldnt be bothered to argue. Luckily I anticipated this and brought a small clip on fan to keep the little one cool.

Kettle didnt work - phoned reception - but phone didn't work. Walked to reception - took 4 hours to get a new kettle. Extractor fan didn't work in bathroom - walked back to reception. Checked rest of the room, dust everywhere, and worse still no mattress protector on the bed, just a very thin cotton sheet - in the height of summer with everyone sweating on the bed, yuk. Lots of marks on the mattress. Bulb not working in the Pixie window. Went for food that night in RCR, usual average offerings but little one liked the quirkiness of it. Entertainment in evenings with the kids show was ok, but not much to hang around for afterwards so went back to the room which was like an oven. Maintenance had fixed the fan, but used our white bath towels to clean up their mess so they were black with dirt. Back to reception to ask for more towels. Next morning usual chaotic breakfast in Crooked Spoon with everyone trying to squeeze past you. At check out, no one was interested how our stay was. That was over £350 - which, in comparison to prices this year, is cheap.

The EV stay was the one that finished it for me. Really sad as I still enjoy popping in the hotels now for a drink at the end of the day, but I wouldn't give them my hard earned money to stay there anymore.

Last edited:
I would be half tempted to get a major international chain in to run them, even if they weren't branded as such. The hotels can keep their theming and additional entertainment, but with a global company behind them - the training, quality and general presentation would be markedly better.

Marriott, IHG, Hilton and Co. are all used to running hotels with 200 rooms.

I've heard Yvonne Sigg is looking to expand her empire in the UK. Pizza and kebabs outside the hotel entrances. Glass floor in each room with fish underneath. Missing taps. A vomit filled river peacefully trickling by outside. What more could you ask for?

I've heard Yvonne Sigg is looking to expand her empire in the UK. Pizza and kebabs outside the hotel entrances. Glass floor in each room with fish underneath. Missing taps. A vomit filled river peacefully trickling by outside. What more could you ask for?

Interesting, as I have heard of competing interest from Hotel Rebstock Group. Priority bookings for those who pay fully in cash, cigar smoke filling the reception and free beers for all!

I would be half tempted to get a major international chain in to run them, even if they weren't branded as such. The hotels can keep their theming and additional entertainment, but with a global company behind them - the training, quality and general presentation would be markedly better.

Correct me if i am wrong but the Chessington one was pretty good when it was run by IHG wasn't it?

Certainly better than it is now. In our experience the prices were generally lower, rooms cleaner, food and beverage better, pool quieter and free to use and it felt better maintained.

Whilst I’ve never stayed in any on resort hotels, I have experienced The Dragon Bar twice on the same night with very polarised service levels during a trip in mid June 2021. On the night in question, we were staying at The Chained Oak (highly recommended - amazing local cooked breakfast, and some sneaky views of X Sector…) and we had booked into The Rollercoaster Restaurant for dinner. We fancied some pre dinner drinks in the dragon bar and the atmosphere was great. It was around 6pm and we found a table instantly. We ordered drinks via a QR code which arrived quickly and we found the ambience quite sophisticated. Nice background music, families talking quietly, attentive service….that sort of thing.

We then returned after our meal for a nightcap and it was like walking into one of those airport terminals you get abroad that is stuffed to the rafters with people waiting around in the bar for their delayed Ryanair flight. The word busy doesn’t even cover it - it was beyond heaving, waiting staff were wandering around trying to figure out who ordered what, our drinks were delivered to the wrong table twice and the entertainment (a solo singer with a CD player) was grating on everyone’s ears.

They clearly need to understand what their busiest times are and plan accordingly - we weren’t the only people wondering what the hell was going on, loads of people were wondering around wondering if this was the only place they could get a drink and unfortunately it was. This was a midweek stay in June bare in mind and I doubt anyone in the bar would think about returning to the Alton Towers Hotel after that night.

I’ve just been looking at a 2 night stay at The Alton Towers Hotel mid week in September, so arguably very off peak.

£253.50 per night.

Just read that again….

For that price I expect high end 4 star standard akin to the global premium hotel brands, whereas the reality couldn’t be more different.

How can they justify charging that much for a tatty un-air conditioned room and an Iceland style frozen breakfast?