• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Hotels: A Journey

Yep, the spa is nowhere near as nice an experience as it used to be. CBeebies is clearly a more lucrative money spinner so they sacrificed the spa experience when it was built.

There was a plan for a spa extension at one point though, so there must have been demand at one point.

Wonder if they have plans to replace it with anything?

With it being possible to configure the building so there are entrances on both the ATH side and on the CBeebies Hotel entrance side (and a short walk from the pods and Village) it could be an ideal location for much needed new restaurant/bar capacity.

They aren't confirming closure in messages, rather saying 2024 dates for both the Spa and Waterpark are to be announced in a few weeks time.

Could still be true of course given that the Waterpark has a few dates confirmed into January on the website, yet the Spa has none.

They aren't confirming closure in messages, rather saying 2024 dates for both the Spa and Waterpark are to be announced in a few weeks time.

Could still be true of course given that the Waterpark has a few dates confirmed into January on the website, yet the Spa has none.
Someone did post an email, on the FB thread, from a Spa employee cancelling a booking and confirming that the Spa would not reopen in 2024. It seems to have been deleted now, presumably because it contained identifiable information and the personal email address of an employee.

Apparently they had hired people recently for the Spa, and then told them it's closing not long after and then said to look on the website to apply for other jobs.

Hearsay, but I fully believe it's something they'd do.

It's not a surprise. I've never been because the images that the park uses to *advertise* the spa make it look grotty and poor. Look at this image, notice the cracked tiles around the edge of the pool and the round metal plate with grime around it. It just looks bad.

Attachments

• spa-mainpool.jpg
    spa-mainpool.jpg
    603 KB · Views: 133
Changing into a larger pool (either adult or children themed) or a new restaurant seems a no brainer. Possibly a gym.

But again goes to shown the failure of marketing at Alton. Given the success of similar places in Staffordshire, all less than 45 mins away from Alton.

- Moddershall Oaks
- Hoar cross hall
- Tawny Hotel and Spa

What was on offer at Alton was a lot cheaper but a lot worse presented, executed and marketed.

But the market is there

I've probably been in the Spa once in its entire existance, can't say I've ever felt the need or desire to visit it when on resort. I think had the Spa hotel happened (along with the spa extension), maybe more custom would have gone through, and it would have also provided a more adult orientated hotel.

The Pirate's Lagoon and Pirate Bill's club to make an almighty return?!

It's not a surprise. I've never been because the images that the park uses to *advertise* the spa make it look grotty and poor. Look at this image, notice the cracked tiles around the edge of the pool and the round metal plate with grime around it. It just looks bad.
That photo is absolutely shocking!

It would be nice to just open it as a casual hotel pool. Enjoyed stays at Europa Park and Phantasialand with a quick swim after the park and before dinner!

I think it would be a great opportunity to develop their night time entertainment offering - either soft play or a cinema would probably be good options.

Reactions: Ash
I think what we’ll see is an expansion to CBeebies Hotel, wherever that’s more rooms/suits, extended communal areas or some kind of play area or something along the lines of Peter Rabbit in Blackpool.

I can’t see it returning to be a hotel pool, now with the water park, and it clearly needs money spending on it as a spa.

It would be nice if it became a bar or something, could easily have seating outside it backing on to the lake, but I can’t see it happening unfortunately.

The removal of the conservatory, original patio and the windows during the construction of the CBeebies Hotel is what killed the spa a few years ago, and it wasn't very well back then. The above photo was taken when the CBeebies Hotel opened just under 10 years ago and it's not had a refurbishment since then.

Changing into a larger pool (either adult or children themed) or a new restaurant seems a no brainer. Possibly a gym.

But again goes to shown the failure of marketing at Alton. Given the success of similar places in Staffordshire, all less than 45 mins away from Alton.

- Moddershall Oaks
- Hoar cross hall
- Tawny Hotel and Spa

What was on offer at Alton was a lot cheaper but a lot worse presented, executed and marketed.

But the market is there

I think that actually is the issue, luxury spend is down and a theme park is not exactly the place you think of when booking a spa weekend. Back when it opened I would argue spa hotels where less common but now most high end Gyms offer spa treatments so competition is higher and demand lower. The only way it would be more viable would be if they increased the stay length for hotel guests to something akin to the average centreparcs stay but I don’t think they feel like they need to.

My guess is they think why compete when it’s not a core part of a theme park business and they can use the space for something that will generate more income.

A bit like when an old celeb dies, my first thought is "didn't realise they were still alive." I feel this way about the spa. I'm not the most observant In the day to day running of AT but I didn't realise it was still going.

Then again, am I shocked it's going. Not really. The amount of people staying on site, without kids who would want to waste a day at a spa must be slim. The spa industry in this country is growing and places really are springing up. Pity every single one of them is overpriced.

So TS is reporting that the Spa might be closing for good.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...uY3mazm2Ul&id=100079505948906&mibextid=WC7FNe

Curious, one must assume it’s not financially viable.
Comments seem to confirm exactly what I said yesterday in the "water park closed" thread (not sure why I posted there rather than here), they hadn't informed guests with bookings until now! This isn't a decision that has just been made. Seems an odd and unprofessional way of going about the removal of a service.
That said, I can see why it could be going,
the resort just don't target childless adults anymore.
At the minute, I'd have rather them refurb and keep it simply because there is so little to do at the hotels, properly marketed and accompanied with a crèche it could do quite well, but I'm not complaining if it is replaced with something sufficient.

That’s a real shame is the spa is gone for good. I used it a few times over the years. Sadly it went down hill when they opened CBeebies hotel next to it and it was never the same after that.

I’m hoping they will refurbish it as there is a huge market for spa days. Not everyone who goes for a visit to the “resort” will want to do the rides - there are lots of mums and older people who want to sit in the spa and relax while the kids do the park.

I've been to the park countless times, but never even considered visiting the spa - has anyone here actually gone in? Hardly a surprise that this rumour is about and, if true, can hardly say I'm shocked to see it close.

Looking at this little birdseye sketch from the original builders, it's not exactly massive, but a good amount of space for a premium bar. It's a logical idea as it'd easily make money (especially given the track-record of members on this site). Would be nice to see them take the Sir Algernon concept and take the fella somewhere new - fill it with artefacts from a crazy adventure we haven't seen yet, and perhaps go that bit further and theme some of the drinks to this location. Cocktails and Gin are in right now...

1703877256303.png

Whilst I would love to see something completely unique installed, realistically I can't see it being something other than a bar, soft-play, kids club etc. Or maybe the spa will remain longer than Nemesis - who knows!

It won’t be a bar or nightclub, there would be too much late night traffic down the corridors - there are rooms right up to the spa entrance.

If I recall correctly, there are exterior doors that open up into the garden area, so they could just use those. Slightly inconvenient on the wetter days mind, but the same goes when leaving the pub to get a cab. There's also a small set of stairs in the corridor that leads to one of the bedroom wings, so there's a decent enough gap between the spa/bar and rooms to potentially dampen, or eliminate any noise.