• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Hotels: A Journey

Apart from the windows being boarded up when CBeebies hotel opened at the far end by the whirlpool the spa didn’t really change much over the years.

I went in there not long after the hotel opened and we had to book a 2 hour time slot to use the pool. I went in there prior to CBeebies opening the spa was very light and airy. You could sit in the whirlpool and look out towards the woods at the rear of the hotel. You could then sit in the conservatory and enjoy a complimentary drink and read a magazine.

These two things stopped when CBeebies opened and windows were removed. To me it had a very detrimental impact on the spa, with it feeling very dark inside. Staff I spoke to at the time agreed. They were hoping the outside area with new sauna would pick things back up again.

I don’t think it’s lack of custom which has closed the spa but probably the increase in electricity costs to keep it going.

I don’t think it’s lack of custom which has closed the spa but probably the increase in electricity costs to keep it going.
I think in a business that already has very high energy bills from a large number of power-hungry rides, this is very unlikely. The electrical cost to run the spa would be peanuts compared to, say, the electrical cost to run the rapids.

3d1421570f3d96109541af18beb45fbe.jpg

Seems to be official folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit more info from the park:

A spokesperson at Alton Towers Resort said: "After careful consideration, we have taken the difficult decision to close the Spa located on-site.

"This was a difficult decision but one we feel is essential for the future growth and development of the Resort.

"Our top priority has been supporting our employees at the Spa during this time, including with advice on career opportunities available across the Resort.

"We are also in the process of contacting guests with bookings in 2024 to discuss alternative options. We sincerely appreciate the loyalty and support of our valued guests and dedicated colleagues throughout the years."

Up to 10 staff are affected by the closure, but the Resort said they are looking to re-assign as many as possible

Whist good they are looking to not leave people jobless I would love to be in the room when they tell a Massage Therapist they are now flogging hotdogs in Mutiny Bay.
Although I get the post is in jest, realistically anyone employeed in the hotel is likely to be offered a job elsewhere in the hotels, either reception or restaurant is most likely (or cleaners would still be cleaners), but I expect anyone with qualifications would probably leave completely and find somewhere that matches their skills.

Although I get the post is in jest, realistically anyone employeed in the hotel is likely to be offered a job elsewhere in the hotels, either reception or restaurant is most likely (or cleaners would still be cleaners), but I expect anyone with qualifications would probably leave completely and find somewhere that matches their skills.
Under UK law they have the right to be considered for any alternative current vacant role within the business as part of the consultation process. However if they have been there for more than two years they will also be entitled to redundancy payments so if they have beauty therapy qualifications then would probably be more likely to take the redundancy and go elsewhere

A bit more info from the park:

Again another statement with little substance.

They could at least say how closing the spa is going to grow the resort, as at the moment it’s just another sign of things slowly dropping to bits in their flagship hotel.

Given the last minute nature of this closure, they likely don't know what to do with the space.

I have my bets on it staying SBNO for a while, maybe being redeveloped into something else to open in 2025.

Just because it's hidden away in the bowels of ATH and is not something that's usually on a Thoosies to do list, this is big news now it's been confirmed.

It shows us that the resort have all but given up on trying to attract a broader range of guests and given up on quality. Alton has 5 onsite accommodation options and they can't even run a facility that many pretty basic 4 star hotels up and down the country offer.

A mid-winter break up there, including an afternoon in the waterpark, a couple of rounds of crazy golf and a few hours in the spa is something I've considered in the past. Now, with entertainment being lackluster, the accommodation looking tired and limited food options as well, there really aren't that many compelling reasons to stay on site anymore.

There was a time when you could have a decent themed experience, be greeted at a themed check - in desk, enjoy loads of entertainment, good food, a late night scare maze outside the hotel and hop on the monorail first thing the next morning to get in to the park.

Now the resort is looking more like one of those aging seaside hotels that hasn't been updated since it's glory days. I was going to say it's looking like a Britainia hotel, but even one of those I was looking at last year near Gatwick airport was able to operate a spa facility.

The resort wide downgrading process continues. Closure of Tree Top Quest, check. 4pm closures, check. Painting everything that's rotten purple, check. Removing edible food and replacing with cheap crap, check. Next project, the closure of the monorail.

Shame it’s closed. Could have been a good money spinner if they had kept investment up on it. A spa is not only good for hotel guests but also locals looking for a spa day. It also added to the “resort” feel and provided a break from the chaotic overcrowded water park and theme park for many people.

Would be really curious the decision behind closing the spa and what they will replace it with.