• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I Feel Happy Topic!

I'm not an expert on rail regs (though I know quite a few people who are). But every time I've ever seen steam running on the mainline, there is always a backup diesel at the rear. Pretty sure it's a requirement these days.

Good point, could be a steam brake vs vacuum brake thing. It could also be to supply electricity for the cars.

All mainline steam engines are Vacuum Braked. Since the Loco Hauled trains of the past have been replaced by units which don't run round, a Diesel is usually provided for taking the coaches away to let the steam engine run round.

Engines do occasionally run tours without a diesel on the back, some of the ones up the Settle and Carlise line run without assistance

Thats a good set of points, (see what I did there?) modern stations don't have run around sidings or turntables.
... Or any architectural merit whatsoever, but that's another rant...

Well after a nightmare 2 months where my girlfriend of 6 years broke up with me and then told me she wouldnt be moving out (very awkward but a story for another day)

I have finally come to terms with it and started doing things which make me happy - happy to say that I am now learning to ride a motorbike