• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I want --- to be implemented topic

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
@Burbs has covered off some of the reasoning pretty well already, so won't run over that bit again and just add a few more thoughts. We were actually just considering keeping the like option and not having anything else whatsoever, but settled on adding two further ones (love and haha), with wow added in at a later date following feedback on the test forum too.

However, touching on "reactions" in general, originally when we brought in the thanks system wayyyyy back on TowersTimes, it was used to thank someone for a good contribution, whereas at present as Burbs says it's sometimes perhaps used just to acknowledge reading a post or that the user has simply posted.

We're a discussion forum first and foremost, and I do worry that having the option to react to posts can draw someone to simply clicking the button, rather than taking the time to actually respond to a post. The more people that do that, the more it takes away from having actual debate on the forum.

That said, they are my own thoughts and I'm happy to consider adding a further "sad" reaction if there's demand for it :).

@Burbs has covered off some of the reasoning pretty well already, so won't run over that bit again and just add a few more thoughts. We were actually just considering keeping the like option and not having anything else whatsoever, but settled on adding two further ones (love and haha), with wow added in at a later date following feedback on the test forum too.

However, touching on "reactions" in general, originally when we brought in the thanks system wayyyyy back on TowersTimes, it was used to thank someone for a good contribution, whereas at present as Burbs says it's sometimes perhaps used just to acknowledge reading a post or that the user has simply posted.

We're a discussion forum first and foremost, and I do worry that having the option to react to posts can draw someone to simply clicking the button, rather than taking the time to actually respond to a post. The more people that do that, the more it takes away from having actual debate on the forum.

That said, they are my own thoughts and I'm happy to consider adding a further "sad" reaction if there's demand for it :).
You could always trial a sad reaction for a period of time, then remove it if it's being used too much/wrong. I will admit to being a little trigger-happy with the button though. :oops::p

I agree with the reasoning @Burbs posted earlier. Negative reactions are probably best left off the forum, if you want to use reactions a lot social media is the place for you.

The current reactions are great but still promote conversation and I think the team have done a brilliant job on the new forum!

While other forums hace fallen by the wayside this forum seems to go from strength to strength and I think a lot of that comes down to the team actively promoting conversation and debate without being incredibly strict like other forums I've experienced.

I don't buy that the sad emoji is a negative reaction. If a post is sad or upsetting then it's a genuine reaction and none of the others are fitting. I can't envisage how you'd use a sad emoji sarcastically or to undermine or offend the poster, unlike the laughing one we already have.

If it's just a way of acknowledging a post rather than the content of the post, why do we have laugh and love emojis?

To clarify a little more, to me a reaction is intended to respond to the way someone has written a post rather than the news itself - it’s not solely about acknowledgment (in the sense of being trigger happy and just liking everything). So for example if someone has taken the time to post something really well written I’ll hit the like or love emoji. If it’s a funny comment that they’ve written I’ll hit the laughing emoji. So for me personally, having a sad or angry emoji (as is default in Xenforo), that would be seen as negative for me, as a reaction is against the poster’s writing not the news they’re posting. I should add that this setup is the thinking by Xenforo too, as the default setup would minus your reaction score if someone responded with a sad or angry emoji on your post.

If I want to respond to the actual news, then I’d take the time to reply rather than just hit the reaction button.

As I mentioned, I’m happy to consider adding a sadness emoji if enough people want it. But just explaining the reasoning for it being currently excluded.

Personally agree with Craig, the sad emoji for the thanks system isn’t really required. This is a discussion forum, not Facebook.

I think the current options give a reasonable level of flexibility without being overbearing.

I don't see then need for a sad emoji, tbh, I think just the like and the laugh are enough, with the love being a nice extra. The like acts as many things, it's thanks, it's that's good and it's I agree with what you are saying. I only possible extra thing would perhaps be a 100% emoji 💯 as an 'I agree' but I don't even think that's necessary but I'd take it. That would also make the 'like' have less functions.

If there are options beyond simply 'liking' a post, then a 'sad' option should be available as a contrast to the positive reactions. I don't see how it could be used to undermine other members, this is a moderated forum afterall.

Personally I'm fine with just the like button. However for people who favour reacting to posts there should be opposing emotions to choose from.

Err we don't need more smilies and if you do use them from jonrb tbh.

Sweaing is clear, no swearing even if veiled outside of the Tavern.

You do get a notification why your post was deleted etc and if a topic is locked the last post says why.

Regarding why the split happened, that's never going to be an official page I dont think. Regarding history, apart from the jump from Project Aurora to TST it has pretty much been a constant upgrade built lovingly in the team's spare time.

Your demanding tone and the comment about if this topic stays open won't win you favour btw ;)
When my post about security got edited I had a notification saying "it's inappropriate to mention staff by name" I assume xenforo? Does the same for deletions.

Not quite sure why a post is being quoted from 2017?! But anyway 😂.....just to confirm, if the team make edits, deletions or move posts we have the option to send a notification to the author, which will appear in the alerts section where notifications for post replies and tagging shows.

We'll either use this feature, or drop you a PM if we need to let you know the reasons why something has been amended. Alternatively we may also post publicly in the topic after making changes (e.g. to get discussion back on topic). If it's just minor spelling/formatting edits we'll usually not bother to send you a notification.

Not quite sure why a post is being quoted from 2017?! But anyway 😂.....just to confirm, if the team make edits, deletions or move posts we have the option to send a notification to the author, which will appear in the alerts section where notifications for post replies and tagging shows.

We'll either use this feature, or drop you a PM if we need to let you know the reasons why something has been amended. Alternatively we may also post publicly in the topic after m

We'll either use this feature, or drop you a PM if we need to let you know the reasons why something has been amended. Alternatively we may also post publicly in the topic after making changes (e.g. to get discussion back on topic). If it's just minor spelling/formatting edits we'll usually not bother to send you a notification.

aking changes (e.g. to get discussion back on topic). If it's just minor spelling/formatting edits we'll usually not bother to send you a notification.
Note to self, read date of post that pops up before replying....

Just noticed on the X Sector page:
Not all the ministry's experiments are successful though and at the bottom of X Sector lays a peaceful garden where Submission, a failed attempt to bring joy, once resided.
Perhaps remove this line while Spinjam is in Submission's spot?

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.