• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Musicals/Stage Productions Topic!!!

My school put on Les Mis a week or so ago, and I was lucky enough to help out backstage. The production was a massive success and generally brought the whole school closer together. Here are some pics;

les-mis-shots-10.jpg

les-mis-shots-1.jpg

IMG_9293.JPG

:)

tayspru said:
82334327990580731423044.jpg
[/URL]

Do you hear the people sing? Lost in the valley of the night, it is the music of a people who are climbing to the light
So you mean to tell us that you have a rig full of Pixle PARs, and you didn't use the classic Tricolour lighting cue to end the show on?!? David Hersey is probably crying himself to sleep now.

Both productions look amazing guys. I wish we did things like this when I was at school.

Just before the half term our school put on a production of Rogers & Hammerstein's 'The Sound Of Music' ... It turned out tone a great success, I was fortunate enough to gain the role of Rolf. More photos will be on the gallery at www.painsley.co.uk for those interested :)
e4ygeqe6.jpg

DiogoJ42 said:
tayspru said:
82334327990580731423044.jpg
[/URL]

Do you hear the people sing? Lost in the valley of the night, it is the music of a people who are climbing to the light
So you mean to tell us that you have a rig full of Pixle PARs, and you didn't use the classic Tricolour lighting cue to end the show on?!? David Hersey is probably crying himself to sleep now.

Both productions look amazing guys. I wish we did things like this when I was at school.

We used the tricolour lighting for One Day More and the very end ! This picture is from the "do" of the lyrics, where as the tricolour was "tomorrow *huge breath* coooooooooooooooomes"

Chance are there'll be some video clips making their way onto YouTube soon, unfortunately we only have video of act 1 , act 2 is audio only (somebody tripped over the wire on the camera during the interval :(

Last night I saw The Book Of Mormon, and it was incredible to put it lightly. The songs are fantastic - not just funny, but brilliant show tunes that rival the best out there. The whole audience was laughing constantly throughout the whole show. Anyone whose watched South Park will really appreciate the song 'All American Prophet', which tells the ridiculous story of Joseph Smith almost as well as 'All About The Mormons'.

The show also has a really good message: religion can be bloody rediculous but so long as you don't take it literally it can be a good thing.

My personal favourite songs are 'Hasa Diga Eebouai', 'All American Prophet' and 'Tomorrow Is A Latter Day'.

It was also nice to see The Incredible Hulk Coaster featured in one of the backdrops :p

Sitting at the front was an experience I will never forget. I doubt I'll be so lucky to see a west end show that close again.

It's one downside is that it's been such a hit that getting tickets for the next few months is impossible without seriously breaking the bank. That I was able to get the tickets in the raffle yesterday was a complete fluke.

One last thing of note; the Mormons have taken out some adverts in the program.

My life seems to revolve around musical theatre and theme parks (as they're both one in another)

I am seeing the world premiere of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory next week... the 2nd act has been described, purely, as a theme park ride. That's me sold, then!

I wouldn't really class WotW as a Musical, more a prog rock album with a sucessful live tour (before they butchered it).

But obviously, it is epic.

Re: The Musicals/Stage Productions Topic!!!

I didn't mind the New Generation as an album. But the performers in the new production were awful. Marti Pellow in the place of Justin Hayward, just appalling. I didn't mind the new stage Artillery Man though, he was quite good. Very enthusiastic.

But I hope when they take it back on the road, they revert back to the old format, but keep some of the new show's 'razamataz'.

:)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Ahh well, there's always Jeff Wayne's Spartacus album to listen to, plus his new adaptation of 'Call of the Wild', which Jeff has said to have already written the first parts of it already, but won't be able to get the rest done once the current tour of WotW is done.

As far as I heard, Jeff Wayne always wanted there to a trilogy of concept albums alongside WotW, having said that, the new generation album has grown on me over time.

I'm a professional pit drummer. (By professional I mean I do a lot of them and tend to get paid... that said it's still not enough to put food on my table! ::) ) So I've done a fair amount of shows, and I LOVE it!

I'm a MASSIVE fan of Jason Robert Brown. Last year I did a production of Songs For A New World and it was like URRGRH so good! :p Incredible music all round. The man is a genius.

The last show I did was for Pippin. A very very odd musical by Stephen Schwartz (Wicked) and that has some tremendous music! It's recently had a Broadway revival that has had an incredible re release of the music on CD (opening track here if anyone is interested).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j97_y_z0jmU#ws

One day soon I'll end up in the west end playing, it's just a matter of time! <3 I've already played alongside some pretty epic musicians! When we played in pippin, our MD was the man who conducted Les Mis for about 10 years. The first keyboardist was in Cats and Lion King for 10
years. I've been so blessed!

Love doing pit work! <3

I'm off to see Phantom in a bit. Thought I'd have a quick google to check out the Lego potential, what with my Les Mis project. Found this.
:eek:

Mind = blown.

DiogoJ42 said:
I'm off to see Phantom in a bit. Thought I'd have a quick google to check out the Lego potential, what with my Les Mis project. Found this.
:eek:

Mind = blown.

Phantom is AMAZING! You'll have an fantastic time :D

Have to admit, it was rather entertaining. Not the plot, but the scenery. I knew most of the show already, so there wasn't really anything that took me by surprise... The only exception was that while I knew the candelabras rose through traps, I didn't know they would then track across the stage, before parking and descending through different traps. The show really is a techy geek-fest. :p

I also really liked how the opera ("show-within-a-show") scenes were lit to look like gas light. A nice touch for people who notice that sort of thing. ;)

Our seats weren't great, at the back of the royal circle, with a pillar in front of us, but there were only a couple of scenes that this affected. Sadly when it did restrict our view, it was really restricted. Mind you, considering we only booked the tickets at 11pm yesterday, we could have had much worse views.

Oh, and before anyone asks, no, there is no way in hell I am going to be able to fit Phantom in to my Lego theatre! It requires a much bigger stage than Les Mis! :p

This evening, Kelpie took her Guides to see War Horse. They had a spare ticket, so I tagged along. It's not really my sort of thing, and I wouldn't have paid to see it, but for free is a different matter. ;)

It's one of those shows that seems to exist purely to give drama teachers something to take their students to. Textbook stuff from begining to end.
The show really is saved by the puppetry, which is amazing. The horses are operated by two people inside, and a third "leading" the horse, who operates the head. This does mean, unfortunately, that you end up with eight legged horses. I would have had the guys on the inside wear black, rather than period costume.

The battle scenes are pretty well done, with lots of cheesey slow motion that isn't at all inspired by Blackadder Goes Forth. One minor gripe I have is that when a Mk 1 tank turns up, it moves across stage faster than the horse. Those things were slower than walking pace! :p Ability to suspend disbelief = ruined.

I was surprised to find that large chunks of the dialougue in the second act take place in German and French, with no translation. Top marks for realism, it wasn't too hard to get the gist of what was going on, even if I couldn't understand the exact words. The only other way to do it would be the Allo Allo method of speaking English in exagerated accents.

The ending -<SPOILER ALERT>- I found hard to swallow. It would have been a much more powerful, and infinitely more realistic, play had the horse not survived.

The lighting was a salute to the humble PARcan, I don't think I've seen so many used in one place since Queen last played Wembley Stadium. :p There was automation where it was needed, but it didn't dominate. The projectors were unfortunately far too weedy, and I could barely see the sketches they were projecting on to the set. The show makes great use of haze and smoke effects, especially the scene where they get gassed.

Overall, it's a very well staged production. Just a bit to far fetched of an ending for my tastes. The Guides seemed to love it though. Many of them were bawling their eyes out as we left... despite the happy ending? I will never understand the female obsession with horses. It's disturbingly Freudian if you ask me.

I've just come out of a pit for a showcase in the uni which was good fun. Made me branch out a bit with my listening, though, leading me to discover a wonderfully powerful musical written by Jason Robert Brown.

"The Last Five years" is a musical featuring only two people. It tells the story of a failed relationship over the space of five years, from when they met to when they divorce. But the amazing part of this musical is the fact that the story is told chronologically by the male, and in reverse by the female. All through the musical they never do anything together until the song about their marriage smack bang in the middle where their time lines overlap.

The beauty about this all is the fact that it leads the viewer to decide what happened to their relationship! Who pushed who to breaking point? Why did it happen? If you get a while, check it out, it's painful but beautiful at the same time.

Easily my new favourite musical, great music, powerful story.