The Musicals/Stage Productions Topic!!!

Discussion in 'Box Office' started by Joseph, 11th Sep 2012.

1. John_P

John_P TowersStreet Member

I went to London to see Hamilton, realised I could be waiting years for it to come up north. Wasn't too expensive, they had matinées on Thursdays. So just went forward a few months and got myself a ticket for £75 and train tickets for about £40 (could've got cheaper ones but wanted to have a bit more time in London). Visited the London Eye, and Sealife centre beforehand as well (good old MAP).

Book of Mormon I saw in Manchester, ticket was about £13 (train ticket actually cost more). And Les Mis in Liverpool, again a pretty cheap ticket.

I'm lucky being in Liverpool we've got a number of theatres putting on productions (the Everyman and Playhouse probably my favourites) and Manchester 30 minutes down the road with a major theatre outside Oxford Road station.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    When I lived in Cornwall, it was surprising how many productions came on tour to Truro or Plymouth. I ended up seeing a few on school trips, though with some (the Shakespeare ones, mainly), I found them difficult to follow due to the archaic language. :p Blood Brothers toured to Cornwall in 2011, and I went to see it with some friends from school. Loved it. We'd studied it for GCSE English Literature, and I'd thoroughly enjoyed it, so thought it'd be a good chance to try and see it.

I've not seen much in my local area for a while, but that's mainly because I find not much comes to Stoke, and anything that does is always when I'm busy. Last show I saw there was Curious Incident in February 2015. I wanted to see Book of Mormon in Manchester, but never got around to it. I tend to see more shows in the West End than anything, making them part of a longer trip down south. So far in the West End, I've seen Les Misérables (October 2015), Curious Incident (November 2016 and May 2017), Book of Mormon (November 2017), School of Rock (May 2018), and Dear Evan Hansen (January 2020). West End tickets always cost a lot, but I still think it's worth it. I was originally going to be seeing Hamilton in January 2020, but they were swapped to DEH instead. I have zero complaints about that. As much as I want to see Hamilton at some point, DEH was absolutely superb in every single way.

One issue with seeing shows in Manchester is that the last train from Piccadilly to Congleton is 21:46 (ish), so I'd either have to drive or stay overnight, neither of which are ideal. I've driven from Manchester Arena back home after an event there, and I was pretty knackered. I know it's only an hour or so between the two, but it's not a route I'm overly familiar with.

One thing I think is so important about theatre in general is that its purpose is multi-faceted. There's entertainment and escapism. There's a chance to learn about different cultures, experiences and perspectives. It can challenge you to think differently. It can make you connect with characters and scenarios in ways you never thought possible. This is what's so crucial about theatre, not to mention the amount it brings to the economy and the number of people it employs.

3. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

The best musical, and show of any type, I ever saw was Chess at the ENO with Michael Ball, Cassidy Janson and Alwxandra Burke. Enthralling, I doubt I'll ever see such an incredible cast again

One of the most spectacular musicals ever saw is a bit of a forgotten and fleeting one called Bombay Dreams. It was incredible, a shame it didn't last.

The last one I saw before lockdown was Aladdin just before it finished its current run. Was brilliant with an outstanding performance from the genie.

I've seen loads over the years, very rarely they've been actually bad. Dirty Dancing came close.

Always the west end. I have a similar problem in Essex being too close to London for a lot of the tours, but the few I have seen locally have never been as good as those designed for a long London run. They cant bring the same staging and rarely such a strong cast on the road.

4. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Hamilton was a brilliant one to see fair enough it's very long but amazing!

5. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Why did no one tell me about this!

6. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Sorry i've known about it since November. I am really hyped for it it's going to be amazing and roll on February 6th is all i can say!

Skyscraper likes this.
  7. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

Went for a socially distanced show this week, Amelie at the Criterion. Was worried the masks and spaced out crowd would take away from the atmosphere, but it didn't detract at all really.
    Felt like one of the most effectively managed Covid situations I'd been in throughout the whole pandemic too, really slickly done to avoid groups coming together.

The show was wonderful. It's picked up some slightly middling reviews which aren't at all deserved, it is light and wistful by design as is the film it is based on but the critics don't seem to appreciate that at the moment, wanting everything to have a more powerful and purposeful message.

The staging is like nothing else I've seen before; the cast are the orchestra. I know it's not that unusual to have some of the music contributed by actors, but to have the entirety of the score played by them is quite some feat, with some of the instruments serving as part of the set as well. A cast of incredible talent that also incorporates some very skilled puppetry. I couldn't reccomend it more.

Last edited: 7th Jun 2021
    ThisGuy and John_P like this.
  8. John_P

John_P TowersStreet Member

Still annoyed I missed Amelie when it was in Liverpool a year or so ago, had friends who went and they loved it.