• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Musicals/Stage Productions Topic!!!

News from the West End this week is that Frozen, currently playing at Theatre Royal Drury Lane, is going to be closing in September this year. That would mean the production has *only* played for 3 years - I’d have thought it was going to be on for years to come, and especially strange that they don’t push on to Christmas.

I went to see it last year and really enjoyed it. Technically it’s very impressive, and it doesn’t feel like it drags on too long. However it’s a massive show that would presumably have to be scaled down if, say, it was to tour. The wing and stage space at the Lane is enormous (you could practically fit another full set of Frozen behind it), and enables them to perform some of the clever tricks, which without them the show wouldn’t be anywhere near as magical.
I was a bit floored by it too, but I guess it just wasn't financially viable, they are allowing schools to compete for the staging rights though. This second bit shocked me because I can't think of another West End show that has gone straight into educational licensing, rather than touring, in my lifetime.

Any speculation as to what might be replacing it?

I'm very much looking forward to seeing John Godber's "Do I Love You?" at the end of the month, I do have a soft spot for his writing.

Any speculation as to what might be replacing it?
No idea, but given the size of the venue and the calibre of shows they get in, it’ll be something major!
Frozen has been very out of fashion with the young people who used to love it...
Yesterday's fad apparently.
You say this but there didn’t seem to be any big issues with ticket sales, and usually if a show isn’t selling they’ll really push the promo for a while before pulling it completely, which hasn’t seemed to have happened.

No idea, but given the size of the venue and the calibre of shows they get in, it’ll be something major!

You say this but there didn’t seem to be any big issues with ticket sales, and usually if a show isn’t selling they’ll really push the promo for a while before pulling it completely, which hasn’t seemed to have happened.
Disney famously, like Apple, never discount their own product though, do they?

Saw a friends production of SUS at the weekend, just a play with three actors. Really powerful and hard hitting.

Come From Away up next for me in March.

Tom Holland on the West End is interesting. He's a good actor with good range. I get the feeling he's trying to separate himself from his Spider-Man fame, so hopefully this works out for him. Tickets will no doubt sell out quickly.

I recently watched Peter Pan Goes Wrong at Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff.

I really enjoyed it. Great laughs, and it was wonderful to watch from the technical perspective (so much has to go right in order for it to go wrong). My only criticism would be that some gags were a bit too long drawn out. Loved the pre-show shenanigans.

IMG_1821.JPEG

Come From Away

Just opened in Liverpool as part of its UK tour. Telling the story of Gander, Newfoundland, its inhabitants and the 7,000 plane people who called it home when their planes were diverted there after US airspace was closed after the events of 9/11.

An absolute tremendous musical with a cast flipping between playing locals and travellers trying to deal with the situation.

Catchy tunes, funny, sad, and moving.

Absolutely whips along at about 100 minutes and no interval.

IMG_20240313_140108.jpg

I'm cheap so went for the back row of the circle, cost me £14.