• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The new 2013 Merlin annual pass flask

Erm okay is it just me or are the new flask rules very confusing?

• It's just me

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • They are confusing

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • They leave existing flask holders out of pocket

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • They are better this year than last

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • They are still great value for money even if it means buying 2 flasks in 1 year

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Natalie said:
But if we take good old inflation into account the flasks are actually better value this year than last year, just saying. Should have gone up to almost £17 this season.

Actually Natalie you aren't too far off there in financial terms, but percentage wise, that's actually twice as high as CPI based inflation figures.

But we must remember also, that Recreation & Culture (13.7), Restaurants & Hotels (11.4), and Food & Non-Alcoholic Beverages (11.2) - all areas within which Merlin are active/focused, contribute to a combined 36.3% of the CPI from which inflation is measured.

Being one of the big players, Merlin will actually be responsible for contributing to upward inflationary pressures.

To get really into the figures, the mean CPI based inflation rate was 2.97% for 2012. This technically results in an inflation based rise of .48p - your figure is closer to 6/7% inflation, with the highest ever recorded being 8.1% in April 1991.

Also, around early part of this century, inflation was very low indeed, as low .5% at times. I have gone into figures before, to prove how Merlin have increased the prices way above inflation for a number of years now, and continue to do so. They cleverly spread it across all areas of the business, or in the form of new charges.

At an absolute guess, taking those factors into consideration, it's probably (being very conservative I believe!) an average year on year, of 2/3 times the rate of inflation - which then itself, actually creates upwards pressures on inflation rates.

Then they tell us repeatedly on posters it's all the nasty chancellors fault and his VAT!

And I detest that!

But they havent put it up on the flasks also I used about 4% inflation then rounding it up to the nearest pound like Merlin would.

No, absolutely you are right, and I still think a pass and flask represent good value if you get enough use out of it too, don't get me wrong.

What I was referring to though really, is the bigger picture, and how they spread their prices across multiple different purchases. The parking charges were examples of such hikes, I'm more referring to the value that you receive overall and how that decreases in real terms every year.

Be that exclusions, additional charges, price hikes in different areas of the park - they are quite clever in how they do it, but the public are recognising now at the end of day, how much more expensive the day out as a whole has been.

The flask unfortunately is built for one year and fails to last that length of time! If the flasks were built to last longer and you got the sticker replaced every season on the side of said flask for a smaller rate of £6 or something they would still make a profit AND contribute less to enviromental pollution AND have less complaints as the bottles would have to be designed and built to last.

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

Can't argue with that Tom, but even I think 6 quid is too cheap lol!!

Did I just say that??

Those flasks will only cost pennies to make too, especially in the volumes they will buy them in. You are right though Tom, definitely, a real high quality flask that costs to replace - but is built to last properly, with a sticker system.

That's very simple and seems more than viable, more efficient, and as you so rightly say, so much better for the environment! There are bottle manufacturers, that make flasks from recycled plastic, and offer replacement lids etc so you can maintain them too. OK, they are water bottle size, rather than big flasks, but I can imagine no reason why a suitable one cannot be developed if indeed, it already hasn't.

I think the idea of having the symbol on your MAP, wouldn't be affected by this either, as that can still be done as an addition in the same way as I believe they are planning to do anyway.

I'd say call Merlin and talk to them Tom, but they'd never answer you ;D

I've had my quencher for two trips to Warwick Castle since renewing. It leaked for most of the 60 mile trip back home on the bike. Improved design my bum!

TheMan said:
Being one of the big players, Merlin will actually be responsible for contributing to upward inflationary pressures.
Well there we go then, merlin is playing its part to keep inflation low.

Praise the lord, and stop the moaning!

thefatone said:
TheMan said:
Well there we go then, merlin is playing its part to keep inflation low.

Praise the lord, and stop the moaning!

Eh? Maketh zero sense that dude. Upward inflationary pressure. In other news, I may even get one if you can fill it with coffee ;D

We're on about the flasks costing the same as they did last year. Zero percent raise, therefore helping to reduce inflation. Good ol' merlin! ;)

Would be nice to see if they did a hot drinks one similar to the one-day ones they trialled last year. Perfect (though imagine they could easily cost more - hot drinks seemingly have more value and worth!)

Yeah coffee/chocolate especially, would cost more, you have the heating, milk etc, tea probably not so much.

Plus doing 2 or 3 flasks of coffee that size? Hahaha!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Clearly the flasks can last a year, I've not had to replace mine last year...

A good scrub after even visit, taking care with them... Always good... Dunno how people break their ones...

Why don't they just let you get a standard drink with your pass? I don't want to get a flask this year because I can't be bothered to carry it around and on the rides.

I just think it would be easier if they gave you a standard disposable cup when you present your punched pass. Have some recycle bins around the park to promote recycling the cups and let you use one again if you keep it.

In theory I agreed, but then, there is marketing, making it feel something special, being able to leave points you can fill up at without leaving lots of cups for everyone to help themselves too etc.

It's pretty obvious when you are using a bottle, vs anyone rocking up with a disposable cup.

Unless I am missing something, because I must admit, when I first read that Dar I thought "Yeah, why don't they just do that?" lol.

Benzin said:
Clearly the flasks can last a year, I've not had to replace mine last year...

A good scrub after even visit, taking care with them... Always good... Dunno how people break their ones...

Just 'taking care' of them isn't good enough though. The straw cap on mine came off on my second visit of using it. I literally mean it just came off. I just noticed the drink was leaking and the cap had just fallen off somewhere. That shouldn't happen, especially not on a £16 product.

Been catching up on this topic as I can't sleep... There's some seriously bizarre comments being made.

Considering soft drinks are incredibly expensive no matter where you go, tourist attractions, pubs, restaurants, supermarkets etc, the fact that you get unlimited amounts for £16 in a nice refillable cup represents incredibly good value to me.

The MAP and day quenchers have always seemed a huge hit to me and I think they are a fantastic idea. To put some perspective on the value, the day bottles are even better value than they once were. I'm fairly sure in 2010 they were £8, 2011 were £7 and last season were £6!

Equally the fact that the MAP capsules have had a price freeze represents equally good value for what you get!

Merlin might not be everyone's cup of tea but the Annual Pass itself as well as these capsules represent amazing value for some of the UKs best attractions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

The Psychoaster said:
That shouldn't happen, especially not on a £16 product.
True, it shouldn't, but don't forget that the £16 is both for the cup, but much more so for the refills. So, the bottle itself is definitely not £16 worth of product.

Scott said:
Merlin might not be everyone's cup of tea but the Annual Pass itself as well as these capsules represent amazing value for some of the UKs best attractions.

No, they represent very good value still. Amazing? They used to be, that's for sure, in fact they used to be absolute no-brainers, hence I used to buy them!

They go up in price, the offers go down, extras go up - and overall it becomes vastly more expensive.

I have said many times on this thread, they still represent very good value - I don't recall reading anyone saying otherwise? I doubt you will find a quote that says that anywhere. If you do, then I apologise.

The only thing I contest, is that it is no where near as good value as they were even 3 years ago, and they get consistently worse every year, as does the service in general.

How many people are asking why Merlin aren't getting back to them about inquiries and complaints lately?

I say, the value and service overall, are getting worse - not that they don't still represent good value, they do - but way way less than not a very long time ago.