• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The new 2013 Merlin annual pass flask

Erm okay is it just me or are the new flask rules very confusing?

• It's just me

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • They are confusing

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • They leave existing flask holders out of pocket

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • They are better this year than last

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • They are still great value for money even if it means buying 2 flasks in 1 year

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

damos1indisguise

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Valhalla
I am rather confused here, as to me it seems with all 2012 flasks expiring as of today you must with no other option buy a new flask from tomorrow for the start of the new flask year?

Although it seems if you by 1 tomorrow which you need to do to get refills until your pass expires-even if renewing then when your current pass expires, you renew and it seems you are then forced to buy a new flask which will expire when your pass next expires in 2014- however a sub clause seems to cancel these flasks out 3 months into 2014?

What on earth is happening?

Oh and hey there everyone :)

It's very simple really.

You'll have a capsule relating to your Annual Pass - From tomorrow, the capsules will be valid for the life of your pass. Any ones before that expire today (which infact expired in November, so you couldn't use them anyway - unless chessie/Warwick have been allowing them).

Once your pass expires, the capsule expires too. You'd need to buy a new one.

Essentially you get a new capsule each year, costing you £16. Easy peasy. It stops abuse.

It does stop abuse which did happen such as taking mates flasks as staff rarely checked for passes fair does, but it seems rather unfair that you cannot really take advantage of the flask system until your current pass expires, otherwise you lose out?

If your pass expires May like ours we either wait 5 months (10 visits/refills lost) or buy a flask now but come May buy another flask.

Meaning if we buy now the first flask kind of only lasts 5 months no-where near 9 months and if your pass expires say July time you are worst off as other wise you have to wait until July before you buy a new flask?

Kind of unfair if you ask me, they could make the 2012 flasks expire when your pass does either that or when your pass renews if you bought a flask in January/before expiry they let it through to the next year?

Also yes Warwick allowed use and probably Chessington as well as they did say Dec 2012.

1 other thing we still see the option of refill at all Merlin UK outlets as a good option to make, and charge say £25 for a flask.

#getcorrected :p better than new posts :)

Anyone who renews their annual pass mid-year will lose out as a result of these changes, as they will have to buy two capsules for the entire 2013 season.

So hold on, my AP ends in August, are you saying my £16 only goes for half a season, that's wrong.
I'm presuming as long as you renew your AP then you can use it till the end of 2013, as I'm not paying £32 when some pay £16

Yeah it's only worth buying it once your MAP is due for renewal. It'll only be this year, after all this it won't matter.

I'm sure you can all live without postmix drinks or spending money until renewal? Sure it's a bit of an inconvenience but there's no way of them changing (and ultimately improving) the terms without some losers.

thefatone said:
Yeah it's only worth buying it once your MAP is due for renewal. It'll only be this year, after all this it won't matter.

I'm sure you can all live without postmix drinks or spending money until renewal? Sure it's a bit of an inconvenience but there's no way of them changing (and ultimately improving) the terms without some losers.

True but the cost of drinks at theme parks is a lot, and I go every over weekend sometimes every weekend, so the capsule really does help.
Ill be enquiring when I buy it to make sure I won't have to buy a second one within 1 year.

It is a stupid rule. The capsule should last the length of the pass regardless of when you bought it.

Probably there because they know that the capsule will have broken by the time the pass is up for renewal anyway ;)

Well, thats what happening.. the capsule will last the length of the pass regardless of when you've bought it..

They could've gone down one of two routes really, either implement it this year from passes renewal (so some may need to buy twice, or wait until renewal) or extend the life of last years capsule until renewal (which then some people may get up until November free, irritating those who buy passes in say January, and also creating a nightmare problem with checking the validity of the capsules).

At the end of the day, if you appreciate that the drinks are expensive to buy and that you'll be buying a lot, then you'd still be saving if you bought £32s worth of capsules? Just hold out until renewal is probably the best bet.

It's quite simple and in the long run perhaps I better idea. You only lose out this first year, because they need that one year in order to get into the swing of things.

I think having a drinks flask for the life of your pass is better then every year. But obviously that initial year when they make this change mid year renewers lose out, its an unfortunate evil. But in the long run...

Just go without one till august if you are that fussed, brink a couple bottles of water with you.

I've stopped buying the flasks because they look stupid and are impractical. I would rather just buy bottles as I go along.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Yeah my pass runs out in February ftw, but I noticed the renewal voucher I just got had a drinks capsule free with it.

It says my pass will be printed with a drinks capsule icon too when I renew it.

u6y8yryp.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I wonder whether a sub months option could be made for this year? eg keep hold of the 2012 flasks and pay £1.50 per month until renewal to keep refills possible?

The on the day flasks look so much different now ;D looks like they only hold 250ml?

The drink probably only costs about 5p per refill.

Edit: ;D the reply is not much better...

The second capsule you purchase will be valid for an entire year, so until your Pass expires in 2014. Using the old system you would have needed to have purchased two capsules, one for use in 2013 and one for use in 2014 as they expired on the 31st Dec of each year. If you would like to discuss the new capsule process, our customer service team will be happy to do so, you can email them at [email protected]

... But the new way means I have to buy 2 flasks in 2013 :/

If you've got a flask with 2013 written on it, how would they be able to tell if it was 'invalid' after a certain date or not?

Brilliant, so you'll have to show your pass every time you refill? Slowing down the throughputs at the various F&B outlets for no reason for the LOSS Merlin. :mad:

Where do you even put them when you're on the rides? The platform storage areas aren't exactly safe and lockers are a bit pricey.

Sam said:
Brilliant, so you'll have to show your pass every time you refill? Slowing down the throughputs at the various F&B outlets for no reason for the LOSS Merlin. :mad:

Its a pain in the bum...

I don't mind this new system at all. It stops abuse of the capsules and it is probably easier to manage. My pass runs out on the last day of the season anyway so these rule changes make practically no difference to me! ;)