• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Office; do you prefer the UK or US version?

Do you prefer The UK Office or The US Office?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Over the years, quite a few British TV shows have been remade for the American audience in some capacity, but arguably one of the more successful and long-lasting American remakes is that of The Office. The US Office ran for 9 seasons, won numerous awards and generally seems quite well-liked compared to other US remakes of British shows, and unlike some US remakes, people actually seem to be somewhat divided on which version of The Office they prefer. So I’d be interested to know; if you’ve watched both, do you prefer The Office (UK) or The Office (US)?

I actually made this thread because we’re currently watching The US Office. I’d never watched it before, we’re 5 seasons in, and I have to say that I’m absolutely loving it so far! There are many absolutely hilarious episodes, and I really like some of the characters. I love the character of Michael Scott, but I’ve also grown to absolutely love Dwight!

I’ve never watched The UK Office, so I’d have to say that I’m undecided as I can’t fairly judge something that I haven’t watched. However, I’ve been led to believe that I’d probably like the American version more. Perhaps controversially for a Brit, I generally tend to gravitate more towards the American humour style, and for what it’s worth, the season of The US Office that is apparently the most similar to The UK Office, season 1, is definitely the season that I’ve liked the least of the ones we’ve seen so far.

But I’d be keen to know; if you’ve watched both, do you prefer The UK Office or The US Office?

The US one has some funny moments, but it goes on way too long in terms of series length and episodes when they went to an hour. The shortness of the UK version is one of its greatest attributes.

I prefer the American version. For me its easier and more digestible than the British version as it is lighter in tone. Don't get me wrong, The British version is hilarious however it is often harder to watch as it is cringier more grounded in reality.

They both have similar bosses, David Brent and Michael Scott who love to joke around and play with, who they consider friends, their co-workers. However Michael Scott has more redeeming moments for the audience to like his character whereas David is often painted in a bad light.
Tim and Jim are very similar characters but I prefer Jim as we have more seasons to go on an emotional journey with him.
Gareth and Gareth are very similar characters and I cant choose as they are both so funny to watch.
Dawn and Pam are different as Pam goes on a much bigger Journey than Dawn.
Overall the American office has a more fleshed out ensemble of characters, again due to the run time of the US show.

Your point about US remakes often falling short is absolutely true, Does anyone remember the American Inbetweeners, that is probably the worst US remake I've seen.

The US office was so long it left me satisfied and Happy
Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

Would have to say the US one for me. The way it expands on the UK one with the larger cast and storylines.

Yeah it's more saccharine than the UK one but it probably needs to be for the longer format. However there's still episodes now were the cringe is so bad it's difficult to watch.

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office