• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I also have a feeling that the Retro Squad are going to be around for a while…

Also a list of what we could expect if they are to come back next year;
B3E3ADB1-7D37-4089-B6E8-E720775185C8.jpeg

Last edited:
I really hope not, adding a permanent flat next year with high capacity and one with perhaps lower capacity should be fine for a bit and then they could replace blade an enterprise. I see no reason why they couldn't add a few cheap flats which will look better than these rides that are meant to be temporary and should be gone next year.

I just think that keeping the retro-squad demises the quality of the park overall but it also gives the park less flexibility. These rides cannot be treated the same as permanent ones, they are not maintained by Alton Towers staff and they cannot reach the capacity of a major flat if it's permanent and being ran by ATR staff.

X-sector clearly needs the added flat so something like a permanent themed version of mixtape with a higher capacity would be perfect but whatever they add it wouldn't be massively expensive and would look impressive enough for marketing material. In my mind this is the most important one to replace as it seems to have been a popular spot last year and that area of the park gets a lot of visitors with nothing to do for the families, or slightly younger thrill seekers who aren't quite tall enough for the smiler of oblivion.

Forbidden valley perhaps needs something however if they open something in the sub-terra building that would really help and that could potential wait a few more years. However they may well be able to get a bulk deal when they buy something for x-sector.

As for Dark forest it eventually needs something but I think they could get away with it for quite a while. Although I do think the area's theme would suite some form of tree monster, perhaps a magic carpet or something pretty standard but with tree trunks as supports would be cool and not ridiculously expensive.

Enterprise could be replaced relatively easy as there are plenty of second hand, but newer enterprises, although this might be less marketable so they may well want to go with something different.

Blade is a tricky one, ever year we think it's dead and then it comes back, its the oldest ride in the park and clearly needs a lot of maintanance. The area obviously fits a pirate ship quite well but adding another one wouldn't be very marketable, it will probably have to be replaced by something else eventually. I get the impression it will last longer than enterprise so perhaps replace that first and then think about something for blades spots.

I think the park have the chance to get somewhat of a bulk deal with at least a few of these rides and add them in different years. Making it cheaper but they've got something new for quite a few years. Clearly at least a few of these rides are needed at some point. I would like and almost expect at least one permanent flat next year, I didn't really expect any last year as I didn't think they've have time to asset how well the retro-squad did and then order a ride and get it installed on time.
I also have a feeling that the Retro Squad are going to be around for a while…

Also a list of what we could expect if they are to come back next year;
B3E3ADB1-7D37-4089-B6E8-E720775185C8.jpeg
I am hoping this was just to keep there options open, I doubt when they planned these they had particular rides in mind they just used the names for whatever ride they could get there hands on.

Realistically, having the retro-squad long time would cost them far more than the cost of a few permanent flats surely?

You'd think, but then again, they've hired generators year after year for the last 15 years for Scarefest and fireworks. Planning issues and permission aside, the cost of hiring them would surely have paid for permanent lighting by now?!
Yes strange that, then again it's probably the power issue's they've got that accounts for that.

Alton Towers really do need to sort out there power issue's.

I don't want to sound all smug but I did tell you all this would happen.

It certainly isn’t a planned long term solution, that’s not to say it won’t drag on because Varney won’t actually spend on support attractions mind.
I agree it was never planned but with 2 more flats on death's door, their options for a way out of this are limited. The options are:

1. A significant investment in permanent flats backed up by temps filling the void in the meantime. But I think this is wishful thinking at best.

2. Carry on with these temps, maybe replace the 2 permanents if we're lucky.

3. Get rid of them completely 1 by 1 or all at the same time over the course of the next few years.

I certainly can't see option 1 happening, 2 if we're lucky, 3 most likely.

I agree it was never planned but with 2 more flats on death's door, their options for a way out of this are limited. The options are:

1. A significant investment in permanent flats backed up by temps filling the void in the meantime. But I think this is wishful thinking at best.

2. Carry on with these temps, maybe replace the 2 permanents if we're lucky.

3. Get rid of them completely 1 by 1 or all at the same time over the course of the next few years.

I certainly can't see option 1 happening, 2 if we're lucky, 3 most likely.
At least the Retrosquad have shown Towers'management that flats are popular and can spread the crowds out. It'd be a no-brainer to capitalise on that with new permanent ones.

I agree it was never planned but with 2 more flats on death's door, their options for a way out of this are limited.
I'm not honestly sure Blade is on death's door. It's 42 years old, certainly, but it certainly doesn't seem to be struggling too much other than the occasional blip.

Enterprise is a weird one, because in the great scheme of thing, you could actually see it having a life after Alton Towers. It certainly seems to be coming to the end of its Alton Towers life, but much like many of the other flats that have left the park 'at the end of their life', it is the sort of ride you could see someone buying, fixing up and putting on the fair circuit or into a slightly smaller park somewhere.

At least the Retrosquad have shown Towers'management that flats are popular and can spread the crowds out. It'd be a no-brainer to capitalise on that with new permanent ones.
It would be a £multi million investment. They're not as cheap as is often made out. They also need planning.

It would be a £multi million investment. They're not as cheap as is often made out. They also need planning.
I must admit that I’ve looked at the used rides sites and wondered why they can’t just buy a used machine for £100k but obviously Merlin won’t do that. In reality you’re talking £1m minimum for the hardware per ride, plus associated ground works and then marketing etc. Whilst not a major capex investment in terms of a SW, it’s still a lot of dosh.

Still holding out hopes though for some permanent additions in the very near future!

Ground work costs would be minimal. They have three plots on land on park all ready for permanent flat rides.

I think the main issue is Merlin desire for a USP and clear return on investment. While flat rides will improve a day out, ease queues off of the main rides and fill gaps in the ride line up; there are no world firsts, USPs and people won’t flock to Towers the same way they do for a new roller coaster.

We haven’t really had a chance to see whether there’s been a change of approach with Merlin going private. So I don’t blame anyone being optimistic.

If Merlin continues in typical Merlin fashion, Retrosquad may carry on for another season or two, then will disappear and the park will continue to have a lack of flat rides.

Of course none of us have a crystal ball, so it’s anyone’s guess what the future holds!

I honestly don't see how new flat rides aren't marketable? Big impressive new flat ride, nice shiny advert piece within the usual AT advert and jobs a good 'un?
It comes to something when the best new flat ride in the UK for 2022 will probably be at Barry Island.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.