• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Stupidly, I went on it as my second ride of the day. It was more intense than I thought actually. I think it's the sustained positive G's that made me feel uncomfortable. It was a long and intense cycle and felt very uncomfortable on my feet that seemed to effect me for the rest of the day. Not complaining as this would be right up my street if I was 10 or so years younger, but I did struggling to get my bearings and legs back into normal working order for quite some time afterwards. Definitely worth a try though, I'd do it again but at the end of the day.

The look and "scream if you want to go faster" kind of stuff was just hideous. The soundtrack even changed to loads of naff stuff after each announcement. It felt very tacky.

So do you think the public class that smiler as the most extreme ride at towers then? I'm not sure myself which coaster I'd say is the most extreme
'Extreme' is very subjective, based on an individual's preferences, fears and experiences. I think there's probably a reasonable portion of the public who would class Oblivion as the most 'extreme' ride due to the height, for example.

Worst I have felt on a ride was Manta at Sea World in 2013. That Pretzel Loop knocked me for six, so much so that one ride was enough for me. Admittedly I don't really like flyers that much though anyway.

SpinJam is a huge No No for me anyway. Makes me ill just watching it. Hahahaha

Apologies if this is off-topic, but can anyone describe to me what a greyout feels like? I don't think I've ever experienced one, and certainly never on a ride.

I've greyed out on Goliath at 6FMM when the train shot through the MCBR without slowing as it should and into the helix of forever at a stupid speed.
It's a weird and somehow nice, relaxing feeling. Basically the world goes from colour to black and white quite quickly, then what feels slowly the definition between black and white reduces and reduces until it's all one shade of grey. Then I guess you either pass out or pop out of it as I did when the pressure is removed.

Before I actually greyed out I would have said I previously had based on that light headed woozy feeling inyense rides can give, it's not the same at all though. You need sustained possitive g's for it to happen, if someone tells you they greyed out on a ride which doesn't deliver that they are either mistaken or are quite ill!

I'm not sure that on a normal running setting a ride like spin jam could result in greying out as the forces are constantly changing due to the multiple axis of rotation. If they ran it fast with the seats outstretched but not spinning it certainly could though.

*removes the ‘Don’t..Look..Down’.. audio as a measure to stop the screams*

*plays ‘Everybody scream’ audio in the same area of the park*

It was the actual "don't look down" sound that carried as the speaker is so high up, the screams were less of an issue as most happen lower down where there are trees, buildings and tunnels to break the sound.

It was the actual "don't look down" sound that carried as the speaker is so high up, the screams were less of an issue as most happen lower down where there are trees, buildings and tunnels to break the sound.

Interesting.. I thought I’d read somewhere that the audio was removed to stop the screaming.

Could they not have just turned the volume down? Going off topic, apologies!

Just seen another video of Spinjam, and they're also playing the "everybody scream!" spiel. Makes it stand out even more, but in a bad way rather than a good one.
:oops: :tearsofjoy:

I understand why Towers introduced the Retrosquad rides last season, and I’m fine with them being here this season as well. But what I really can’t understand is why they have to run them with the fairground audio and the 80’s music. It just doesn’t fit in with the rides around them, I’d much prefer them to be silent as the audio sticks out like a garish sore thumb. But I wonder though if that’s the intention, to make them sound so ridiculous and Ill-fitting that nobody would mistake them for permanent attractions?

Last edited:
I understand why Towers introduced the Retrosquad rides last season, and I’m fine with them being here this season as well. But what I really can’t understand is why they have to run them with the fairground audio and the 80’s music. It just doesn’t fit in with the rides around them, I’d much prefer them to be silent as the audio sticks out like a garish sore thumb. But I wonder though if that’s the intention, to make them sound so ridiculous and I’ll-fitting that nobody would mistake them for permanent attractions?
Well at least they didn't just randomly plonk them down in each area with the usual name. That would be worse.
Instead, they gave them all the same theme and created a mini-story around it.
It definitely must be the last season for them though.

I guess they didn’t want to half arse theme theme to an area when it’s only for a year. And the retro squad was only meant to be one year, so it made sense to do them to 80s and retro.

I actually quite enjoy the music, as it’s something different to some of the depressing music of the park. And it’s just a bit of fun. Towers needs more fun and happy areas.

Of course I would prefer them to be themed to the area.

Yeah as much as I liked the Retro Squad (and thought they’d be back this year, which I’m fine with) I really don’t want to see them back in 2023 - the only way I’d accept it is if 2 returned with 1 permanent flat, then 1 returned in 2024 with another permanent flat, and then the final one was replaced the year after.

I enjoyed my ride on Spinjam yesterday however it did feel short.

The ride started and your in what it seems a “idle” mode for about approx a minute. This is not to intense and is spinning both the arms and main body. It’s not until the operator does the key “scream if you want to do faster” that it switches to a fast mode for approx 30-40 seconds and then returns to idle mode. Then one last time is the most intense part but again only lasting 30-40 seconds but this one packs the most punch! Really really intense! Again, saw a teenage lad fall into the fence coming off!

I have a feeling the marketing could be more aimed at these rides being more semi-permanant additions. Blade is 42 years old, Enterprise is on life support, there's already an identified hole in the ride lineup or 3 flats before either of these 2 kick the bucket and I suspect there's no money in the pot for permanent additions, certainly not 5!

I wouldn't be surprised if they just chop and change some of them out every season accompanied by a new advert.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.