• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Whilst towers definitely need to sort out their flat ride situation, wanting them to prioritise it over project horizon? I'm very interested to see what they can do with an indoor coaster so to me I'd much rather them focus on that. I don't like the retro rides but at least it's better than an empty space. End of the day they could theme them and get away with them being permanent flats. They won't be in a rush to remove the retro rides when they've been a success, are popular and the much cheaper option than permanent investments

At this point, I think the flat ride problem at Towers is so bad that I would prefer Project Horizon to be a collection of ≈ 5 flat rides than it to become the park's 11th rollercoaster (which it will be). At least the Retro Squad provides the park with some extra flats, although the (lack of) theme is rather disgraceful for the UK's premier theme park.
It's not opening until 2025 so don't you want any permanent flat rides before then?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Whilst towers definitely need to sort out their flat ride situation, wanting them to prioritise it over project horizon? I'm very interested to see what they can do with an indoor coaster so to me I'd much rather them focus on that. I don't like the retro rides but at least it's better than an empty space. End of the day they could theme them and get away with them being permanent flats. They won't be in a rush to remove the retro rides when they've been a success, are popular and the much cheaper option than permanent investments

As stated in my earlier post, are they cheaper though?

From a cash perspective, in one outlay probably. But in your p&l, probably not. And the results of the p&l drive the share price, which ultimately is what Merlin were obsessed with pre takeover.

I wonder it Towers are taking a leaf out of the M&D's handbook in which the reason to bring in temporary rides is that if there is a problem with them such as breakdown then it's upkeep goes to that ride's owner and not the park in which the latter won't need to pay for it though given hire costs you have to wonder if its worth it?

At least they've replaced Enterprise with something fairly similar. Except this one looks more extreme. The 2 retro rides in x sector are probably 2 of the most intense rides on park so some people might like them

The app has been updated, removing Roller Disco and adding the currently-unnamed new one in Enterprise's (RIP) spot. They still haven't bothered to update Spinjam's artwork though, it still shows Mixtape.

Last edited:
At least they've replaced Enterprise with something fairly similar. Except this one looks more extreme. The 2 retro rides in x sector are probably 2 of the most intense rides on park so some people might like them
I can confirm (although I guess it’s just my opinion as I guess intensity can be considered subjective) that Spinjam, for me, is the most intense ride in the whole park.

I wonder it Towers are taking a leaf out of the M&D's handbook in which the reason to bring in temporary rides is that if there is a problem with them such as breakdown then it's upkeep goes to that ride's owner and not the park in which the latter won't need to pay for it though given hire costs you have to wonder if its worth it?

If they’re going to go down this route they may as just outsource all of the food and drink operations to a 3rd party so they don’t have to deal with any fallout which we can all agree wouldn’t be great for a park of AT’s stat……

Oh.

Yeah maybe.

I don't think outsourcing is an M&Ds innovation.

It's just a very short term and minimal risk way of getting an attraction in place.

I know I'm being naughty and double posting but the introduction of this evil character does have me wondering if this is the beginning of the end for the Retro Squad. I know it's just marketing, but the fact this evil character gets rid of Roller Disco makes me wonder if they are setting up for marketing at the end of the year where this character gets ride of all RS members and defeats Planet Retrograde. It would be a good transition into permanent flats that "can't be gotten rid of", let's say.

I know I'm being naughty and double posting but the introduction of this evil character does have me wondering if this is the beginning of the end for the Retro Squad. I know it's just marketing, but the fact this evil character gets rid of Roller Disco makes me wonder if they are setting up for marketing at the end of the year where this character gets ride of all RS members and defeats Planet Retrograde. It would be a good transition into permanent flats that "can't be gotten rid of", let's say.
You could be onto something there! Would make sense. And this might be clutching straws, but could the fact that the evil robot is green, purple and covered in cobwebs be a very subtle early Scarefest teaser?

You could be onto something there! Would make sense. And this might be clutching straws, but could the fact that the evil robot is green, purple and covered in cobwebs be a very subtle early Scarefest teaser?
Hmmm I'm not sure maybe too early. To add to my theory, if you watch the video again, when Twistatron is being "reprogrammed", one of the objectives is to "Crush the Retro Squad"

Not sure why we've gone evil all of a sudden but the marketing for the Retro Squad (whatever you think of the actual rides) is pretty damn good.
I feel they're leaning into the whole Transformers motif. So now you've got the autobots (retrosquad) and deceptions (the evil robot dude). Whether this is going to lead to anything or just represents them trying to keep the engagement feeling fresh? Could indicate they add more this year or next year? Or could just be a one off that means nothing.

Hmmm I'm not sure maybe too early. To add to my theory, if you watch the video again, when Twistatron is being "reprogrammed", one of the objectives is to "Crush the Retro Squad"
That's a good spot, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Would be a clever way to end the Retrosquad theme once and for all though. I could see permanent flats coming in for next season anyway.

That's a good spot, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Would be a clever way to end the Retrosquad theme once and for all though. I could see permanent flats coming in for next season anyway.
Let’s hope so.

I was thinking of Ug Land earlier today, which in its heyday was arguably the most inclusive themed area on park. You had Corkscrew as the centre piece thrill coaster. and then the following flats for support:

Boneshaker - family thrill flat
Dino Dancer (aka Dynamo) - thrill flat
Ug Swinger - family flat
Ug Bugs - something for the kids

There may have been more which I’ve forgotten?

Then you also had Soakasaurus, a play area and those fun fountains in the ground that you played roulette with as you walked amongst them.

Now what do we have? 2 coasters and that’s your lot. And temperamental ones at that.

Permanent flats are an integral part of theme parks which add a huge amount of variety and they need to return as soon as possible.

Seeing the 1980's retro vibe there, kinda makes me want to see a retro themed area like what Festival Park was but more themed to retro goodness, would make a welcomed changed from dark scary or very childish IP's that's for sure and could be different from the usual pirate or steampunk theme you'd normally get. Feel dirty given RS some credit but there we are.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.