• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The people at Chessington are doing s brilliant job with new rides and still theming them to the older areas, it's a shame that towers don't seem to take this into consideration, even for a temporary flat ride.
I don’t think you can knock Alton too much on that front as the rides are ultimately hired in, as opposed to Chessington who were donated/bought the rides probably on the cheap from other Merlin attractions.

The issue is why they can’t secure funding long term to purchase some of these rides rather than burning cash renting them season after season.

I don’t think you can knock Alton too much on that front as the rides are ultimately hired in, as opposed to Chessington who were donated/bought the rides probably on the cheap from other Merlin attractions.
I don't think that Croc Drop and Barrel Bail Out were donated from other Merlin attraction, unlike River Rafts which came from SeaLife Weymouth.

Going back on topic, I believe there is no place at a major/established theme park for travelling fairground rides. Hopefully this is the last year we see them.

If the Retro Squad were in their own area, they could potentially be passable if that area was intentionally themed to a fairground style.
You can't say 'don't ride them'. Both looking and listening to the overpowering 80s music ruins the immersion of the lands they are residing in.

If the Retro Squad were in their own area, they could potentially be passable if that area was intentionally themed to a fairground style.
You can't say 'don't ride them'. Both looking and listening to the overpowering 80s music ruins the immersion of the lands they are residing in.
I actually wouldn’t a retro themed area, it would actually be bright and colourful and fun. Something towers really is lacking at the moment. With 80s pop/rock, neon lights, etc. could be a really good concept for an area.

But at the same time I would want the rides to be a bit more themed than some leek signs across their op cabins

Funny thing if we still had festive park or perhaps they decide to bring it back which given how little can be seen of Dark Forest as an overall theme and the worst looking area IMO, you could actually turn that area back it it's roots as a quirky retro 1980's themed area which could work in which given how open Rita's theme is might actually fit in better if you strip the little theming it has then the Retrosquad would actually have their own area of the park and if done well might be something of a colourful area that can appeal to all ages that won't be too kiddy friendly and not too scary looking. The park does need an all ages area but I'm going off topic here.

I don't think that Croc Drop and Barrel Bail Out were donated from other Merlin attraction, unlike River Rafts which came from SeaLife Weymouth.

Going back on topic, I believe there is no place at a major/established theme park for travelling fairground rides. Hopefully this is the last year we see them.
The rocking tug was also third hand from Weymouth to Thorpe and to Chessington.

But Croc Drop was a "major" investment for Chessington. Whereas the Barrels was a small addition to the existing and third hand rides.

Funny thing if we still had festive park or perhaps they decide to bring it back which given how little can be seen of Dark Forest as an overall theme and the worst looking area IMO, you could actually turn that area back it it's roots as a quirky retro 1980's themed area which could work in which given how open Rita's theme is might actually fit in better if you strip the little theming it has then the Retrosquad would actually have their own area of the park and if done well might be something of a colourful area that can appeal to all ages that won't be too kiddy friendly and not too scary looking. The park does need an all ages area but I'm going off topic here.
Yep they'd have fit in with a Corkscrew type coaster and 3-4 of them in that area. Then if you want to ride them they're all in one place. AT aren't going to theme rides they don't own

What I don’t get with this new RS member, is why they have installed the ride with its fencing, when the whole ride will already be in the limits of the fencing around Enterprise ? Surely they could remove the ugly fencing it is supplied with and just keep guests out of the ride area using the existing infrastructure?

What I don’t get with this new RS member, is why they have installed the ride with its fencing, when the whole ride will already be in the limits of the fencing around Enterprise ? Surely they could remove the ugly fencing it is supplied with and just keep guests out of the ride area using the existing infrastructure?
I would imagine that with the ride being hired in, the fitted fences are mandatory - the operator can't just adjust operating procedures and safety practices on the fly

I would imagine that with the ride being hired in, the fitted fences are mandatory - the operator can't just adjust operating procedures and safety practices on the fly
You’ll also have the issue then if fences were removed people may fall off the edge of the platform if it’s not got steps or a designated exit. It’s like mixtape had its own towers fencing around it all, but the ride still had its own fencing around it.

The rocking tug was also third hand from Weymouth to Thorpe and to Chessington.

But Croc Drop was a "major" investment for Chessington. Whereas the Barrels was a small addition to the existing and third hand rides.

I wouldn’t call Croc Drop “major”, it’s from a fairly poor manufacturer, they just wrapped it in some hefty theming.

It is however a permanent attraction, and I think whoever made that call at Chessington made the correct one.

I wouldn’t call Croc Drop “major”, it’s from a fairly poor manufacturer, they just wrapped it in some hefty theming.

It is however a permanent attraction, and I think whoever made that call at Chessington made the correct one.
In the grand scheme of the investment into actual brand new rides that Chessington has received in the last 10 years Croc Drop is probably the biggest overall new ride.
Which is kind of the problem, Chessington has not had enough new rides at all. Whereas AT had a big new coaster (Wickerman) but no support rides except for CBeebies. They might be second hand but at least Chessington got more support rides.

In the grand scheme of the investment into actual brand new rides that Chessington has received in the last 10 years Croc Drop is probably the biggest overall new ride.
Which is kind of the problem, Chessington has not had enough new rides at all. Whereas AT had a big new coaster (Wickerman) but no support rides except for CBeebies. They might be second hand but at least Chessington got more support rides.

I try (and sometimes fail) not to lower my expectations due to the Merlin factor. It may have been the most major ride in a decade but that doesn’t make it a major ride.

That said whoever is the decision maker for Chessington has recognised that they need filler attractions and they might have had to buy them from the bargain basement section but at least they recognised the need and tried to tart them up a bit.

Towers have realised a need to refurb some of their aging rides but replacing filler attractions seems to have passed them by.

I would love to know the cost of renting vs depreciation cost in their accounts. My thought is it'd probably near enough the same, so why bother with the capex investment

Playing devil's advocate. The finance guys clearly rule Merlin.

At this point, I think the flat ride problem at Towers is so bad that I would prefer Project Horizon to be a collection of ≈ 5 flat rides than it to become the park's 11th rollercoaster (which it will be). At least the Retro Squad provides the park with some extra flats, although the (lack of) theme is rather disgraceful for the UK's premier theme park.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.