• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Top Spins are interesting ... So many parks have removed their 1st gen units. I am sure that's in part because they have become an increasing maintenance liability. Huss have certainly had their challenges as a supplier of parts over time.

The giant version flopped and parks that jettisoned their original rides haven't rushed to replace them with new gen ones.

Dumping a new Top Spin in Ripsaw's spot feels a bit short sighted but I think playing on the previous ride's legacy would be a nice touch.

Don’t think bringing back old rides is the way to go. You will always get people who long for nostalgia and revisiting their youth/past, but at the end of the day that soon wears thin, the perfect example would be if walkers removed your favourite flavour, you’d probably go and buy one or two packs before it’s gone but if they introduced a brand new flavour that’s more enticing than ever… that’s what you return for. Now if you’ll exuse my rant about Walkers in a theme park forum, my day release is all but over anyway.

I bet those 190,000 will buy one pack and forget about them! On the other hand millions will be buying my new super duper retrotastic fantabulous multipacks… Cowabunga

For me x sector, FV and Dark Forest can hold 2 flats each. So a further 5 rides assuming blade stays.

I also think Katanga could fit something in.

The park feels deserted as a lot of these areas were designed with flats in mind. Now they are just empty spaces
Gloomy wood could do with a support flat for TCAAM, although the area is quite small.

Can somebody explain to me why there are these big rollercoasters at Alton Funfair they're really taking away from the immersion from the distant sound of nitrous oxide cannisters being cracked and the overlapping 'scream if you want to go faster' jingles all I want to do is ride Xtreme ennit.
Also where da heck is the waltzer gone bruv.

4/10 Alton funfair is getting too commercialized.

Don’t think bringing back old rides is the way to go. You will always get people who long for nostalgia and revisiting their youth/past, but at the end of the day that soon wears thin, the perfect example would be if walkers removed your favourite flavour, you’d probably go and buy one or two packs before it’s gone but if they introduced a brand new flavour that’s more enticing than ever… that’s what you return for. Now if you’ll exuse my rant about Walkers in a theme park forum, my day release is all but over anyway.
It wouldn't be a like for like replacement, I'd go for the floorless model which adds a new element. Ripsaw was always a popular ride and I can't think of many flats that drew in crowds like Ripsaw did. Also this wouldn't be the only flat ride Towers would need so I don't think having something similar would be an issue.

It wouldn't be a like for like replacement, I'd go for the floorless model which adds a new element. Ripsaw was always a popular ride and I can't think of many flats that drew in crowds like Ripsaw did. Also this wouldn't be the only flat ride Towers would need so I don't think having something similar would be an issue.
I agree a topspin would be a fantastic addition again, as ripsaw is sorely missed. but I’m not sure just the floorless aspect would be a massive pull for guests, I’d say 90% of the public wouldn’t even notice the difference, but like I say I wouldn’t be all against a new topspin, but I’d much rather see something new for towers that has not been seen before.

Rode Twistatron today, and all I can say it is absolutely vile. The seats are so badly designed, that half way through the cycle I kept sliding so far forward I was getting genuinely concerned because I couldn't push myself back. Not fun at all, just pure discomfort.
Have you been on a Mexican Hat?

Many people don’t like spinning rides, and I heard comments in the weekend from people that there was no need to queue for these rides as they can go on them in a fun fair.

I hope this is the last year for the retrosquad, it was a great idea at the start but it’s now it lived its appeal.

With Nemesis next year is the perfect opportunity to put something unique and fitting in place where Ripsaw once stood.

I don’t think another ride is needed up with Rita and thirteen, but there is an enormous amount of space in the courtyard by woodcutters which could fit a travelling ride.

As for X Sector, spin jam is very popular and could be themed into the area. Twistatron really needs to go though. The two of them together next to oblivion on Smiler just looked awful.

Dig another ruddy great hole I say and put a drop tower in it!

I think to be realistic it's between the Retro Squad staying, and leaving with zero rides being brought in in its place.

If they manage this season OK without Nemesis then it could be justification for the death sentence of the Retros, as when it comes back it adds 1.2k or so to capacity.

I'd like for people to campaign to retain Sub-Terra when it re-opens. That is a highly themed flat that offers more than any fairground ride painted to match the area and playing grim music to boot - which is what many are effectively asking for.

Last edited:
If they manage this season OK without Nemesis then it could be justification for the death sentence of the Retros, as when it comes back it adds 1.2k or so to capacity.

However, the park hasn't really coped the past few years with Nemesis and three extra fair rides. There could in fact be an influx of guests wanting to check out the new version, so we could see it busier than usual. Ideally we'd have seen some new hardware and filler rides in the past few years, but obviously that hasn't happened - whether or not they return next year doesn't hide the fact that they've been an embarrasment.

Back in 2005 Drayton manor did a guest survey to see what the most missed rides were and the tea cups and the pirate ship were the top 2 but instead of replacing like for like they added better versions. Now with the Retro squad been there for 3 seasons we seen 5 different types of rides and they may get guests to fill in a survey and the top 2 may be installed and themed to fit the areas theme.

Back in 2005 Drayton manor did a guest survey to see what the most missed rides were and the tea cups and the pirate ship were the top 2 but instead of replacing like for like they added better versions. Now with the Retro squad been there for 3 seasons we seen 5 different types of rides and they may get guests to fill in a survey and the top 2 may be installed and themed to fit the areas theme.
Didn't they do a survey during the first season of the Retrosquad? You got a notification via the app if you were near to one of them.

This would be a good idea for Towers. Top 2 missed flats for me would be (haven't ridden either) Ripsaw and Astro Dancer/Dino Dancer/Dynamo. If this was the final conclusion, then Towers could put in improved versions of those rides eg. a floorless Huss Topspin for Ripsaw and perhaps either an updated Huss Breakdance, the Huss Booster that is currently in storage that formerly ran as Kieppi, or a Mondial Shake for Astro Dancer/Dino Dancer/Dynamo.

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.