• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Sinking Ship: (Un)Love Letters to Merlin

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I think people forget about who is actually at the top of Merlin and people are even quicker to forget about the pivotal role that Varney in particular played in the early 90s. Love him or hate him, he lives and breathes this industry. You'd have to argue long and hard to convince me otherwise, after sitting down and chatting with him or indeed listening to his staff, I have the absolute opposite impression.

I too fell for this one. I've since lost all respect for him. He's an idiot, only cares about profit and numbers on a piece of paper, pure and simple.

One thing you have to understand about people with marketing backgrounds is they all talk crap. Much like politicians. That's all they've known. Their job is to figure out how to sell snow to eskimo's and it becomes part of their personalty. Marketing people are well known for walking over anything and anyone to get a job done, and then when the numbers on their reports reflect an achievement they all pat themselves on the back for it, regardless of how they got there. Sounds exactly like Merlin doesn't it? Because it's a marketing driven company, with a very successful former marketeer right at the top of the pyramid.

Say what you want about Towers, there's gazillions of pages on this forum about issues, but just turn your attention to Chessington for a monent. I can't even bare to look at that place any more. I've not been for years and have no intention of going back any time soon.

Remember when they started ripping down all of the theming, and Varney is on record somewhere saying they will rebuild it all? The place is an utter mess and it's never had to face an incident like what happened at Towers. So, what's the excuse? There is none.

Yet still, you can gaurantee the Merlin exec's are all standing there patting themselves on the back at what a wonderful job they've done with the place.

Pete can you start your own thread where you ramble on about how crap life is and how you hate everyone?
Would be such a laugh and a good read.

Pete can you start your own thread where you ramble on about how crap life is and how you hate everyone?
Would be such a laugh and a good read.

Pete's Rants?

I'm glad my posts entertain you but I don't hate everyone... or life for that matter. :p

Regarding ride and attraction closures... they happened decades before Merlin. We just weren't around to complain about it on social networks and forums. Attractions that we lost in the later part of my childhood included.

Doom and Sons Haunted House.

Vintage Car Museum.

Sea Lions

Space 1999.

Model Railway.

Cable Cars.

Around the World in 80 days.

Cine 2000

Cine 360

In fairness, I don't remember any of these SBNO for long periods, and many were eventually replaced (and their replacements were not always better).

Whilst I have fond memories of these, many would look dated if they were around now. I have no problems with removals providing that replacements follow in 1 or 2 seasons.

Merlin don't seem too good at replacing the low to medium budget stuff, but do give us a SW every few years.

I need a Delorean to jump 30 years into the future when every attraction is a SW (Nemesis, still be there, please!).

Where are the swans on your list...
everyone seemed upset when those went, but I think they had gone before my first visit.

It's not just the fact that they closed rides, that's an inevitable part of the life of any theme park. It's the fact that they closed so many in the same season and had nothing lined up to fill the massive hole in the ride offering.

Plus there's the fact that they mothballed rides that could have been operated. That's always going to leave a sour taste in people's mouths. It's a strategy you normally associate with parks that are on the brink of closure, not the UK's premier theme park.

The smiler incident has definitely had an impact on AT but they are part of a large organisation that can afford to take the financial hit for a few seasons. There is no need for the park to be in the state it is. Alton should be working hard to rebuild trust with the British public. Shuttering several major attractions, closing food outlets and cutting back opening hours is unlikely to build confidence in visitors. I'm worried that it will further hurt the park in the long term.

Last edited:
Alton Towers isn't the UKs premier Theme Park.
Legoland has a higher attendence.
Partly, that is a benefit of location for international tourists and a larger population on the doorstep; but it has a limited appeal to teenager and older audiences, so there is a cap on demand.

Persomally I think it is because that park has seen annual investment, new hotels (check AT), marketable firework shows, various festival/theme weekends, new rides (cheap ones, but carefully chosen), retheming of areas, and a high level of maintenance both during opening hours and off season.

If AT had the attention that place has lavished on it, it would be the UKs Premier theme park.

Regarding ride and attraction closures... they happened decades before Merlin. We just weren't around to complain about it on social networks and forums. Attractions that we lost in the later part of my childhood included.

Doom and Sons Haunted House.

Vintage Car Museum.

Sea Lions

Space 1999.

Model Railway.

Cable Cars.

Around the World in 80 days.

Cine 2000

Cine 360

In fairness, I don't remember any of these SBNO for long periods, and many were eventually replaced (and their replacements were not always better).

Whilst I have fond memories of these, many would look dated if they were around now. I have no problems with removals providing that replacements follow in 1 or 2 seasons.

Merlin don't seem too good at replacing the low to medium budget stuff, but do give us a SW every few years.

I need a Delorean to jump 30 years into the future when every attraction is a SW (Nemesis, still be there, please!).

All of those were replaced by suitable, or far better, rides or attractions shortly after they closed (or as they closed). The only exceptions I can see really are the model railway and the vintage car museum. But let's face it, those 2 things have very limited appeal in a theme park.

One actually useful attraction which DID close without replacement many moons ago was the park's railway, but as that was done under Charterhouse ownership, the lesser evil of the 3 (Charterhouse, DIC, Merlin), I can kinda forgive them.

The railway was short and had a massive queue the two times I rode it all those years ago, not worth the effort.
The funny little alpine sledges are what I miss, it ran (roughly) down Oblivions site, but again capacity was poor, so the queue took a couple of hours. At times, the queue was longer than the ride.

One actually useful attraction which DID close without replacement many moons ago was the park's railway, but as that was done under Charterhouse ownership, the lesser evil of the 3 (Charterhouse, DIC, Merlin), I can kinda forgive them.

Didn't the railway close in 1996 though two years before Charterhouse bought the park in 1998?

The rot really set in under the Charterhouse ownership who didn't sell sell the company to DIC until 2005, they even attempted to float Tussauds on the stock exchange in 2003 unsuccessfully.

I blame them for the start of the parks decline.

Last edited:
Didn't the railway close in 1996 though two years before Charterhouse bought the park in 1998?

The rot really set in under the Charterhouse ownership who didn't sell sell the company to DIC until 2005, they even attempted to float Tussauds on the stock exchange in 2003 unsuccessfully.

I blame them for the start of the parks decline.

1997 it seems. According to altontowersememories.net:

Falling passenger numbers, high staffing requirements and safety considerations were all probably to blame for the line not being opened in 1997. For an example of safety issues, on Tuesday 24th October 1995 a train skidded when braking and hit the safety buffer at the Ingestre end. 11 casualties were treated at the medical centre for minor injuries including bruising and a cut lip. The line was re-opened on 26 October 1995. This type of incident was part of the kind of considerations which ultimately marked the end for an attraction that had been successful for many years previously.

Also, I do kinda agree with you about Charterhouse but they were running Tussauds and the parks just fine between 1999 and 2003, with the exception of Duel, I'd say everything else under their watch at Towers at that time was on par - Ug Land retheme inc new rides, Hex, Submission, Air, Berry Bish Bash, Splash Landings Hotel and of course all of the events and entertainment which took place between 1999 and 2003 - some of which is the best in the park's history.

Seems from there on they just weren't interested in further investment, probably due to wanting to sell off Tussauds, which as you say happened 2 years later. So we ended up with cheap rubbish like Spinball and Rita.

Did Ug Land have new rides? I was almost certain it was just new look Corkscrew, alongside Wave Swinger, Astro Dancer, Mini Flyer and Energiser rethemed into Ug Swinger, Dino Dancer, Ug Bugs and Boneshaker?

The only new ride at Ug Land, ironically, was Rita.

I'd probably divide the last 25 years of Tower's ownership in to four categories; the Pearsons era, Charterhouse era, DIC moment and Merlin Reign.

Pearsons Era (1992-1998)
Arguably when the park was its peak (but probably not without it's issues) I.E the right side of Towers Street closing.

Richly themed and major additions were installed at this time including Runaway Train (1992), Haunted House (1992), Nemesis (1994), Toyland Tours, Ripsaw (1996) and Oblivion (1998).

The first park hotel was built (the first one in a UK park I believe) which was done to enhance the experience as opposed to trying to make people stay over.

Charterhouse Era 1998-2004
The first years were still pretty good (but maybe quite as good as Pearsons).

Hex, Air, entertainment and the waterpark are probably their best added attractions (amongst a second still decently themed hotel). However around 2002/2003 time things went down hill as motivation dropped as latter additions such as Spinball and Rita felt much aspiring. Not to mention the Haunted House ruined by lasers.

DIC moment 2005-2007
Their rein was short but not much good came from it.

Quick short term attractions like Charlie and Dung Heap, cut backs and generally no passion for running the park I believe.

Merlin Reign 2008-present
What started as an ambitious start started dropping downhill quickly.

Mutiny Bay, Cloud Cuckoo and other pre-2011 changes were mostly positive, even Thirteen if you overlook the misplaced advertising.

But 2011, things started slipping and slipping as Merlin's desires came more clear to run the park as a bare minimum cash cow as opposed to a magical resort (a bit like Port Av or Europa).

Lack of park upkeep, shortened hours and reduced value for money (through raising prices snd dwindling offering) officially started around this time, with their apparent share holding thing only adding insult to injury.

No attraction in 2011 (down to their failed attempt at Dream Works) and two rushed off the shelf additions for 2012. 2013 was one of their better investments but still didn't stop the heavy flaws and attempts at cost cutting. CBeebies is very bit and miss.

Amongst further deteriorating and accommodation expansion galore, 2015 suddenly happened. Whilst it was an unfortunate and tragic accident, instead of trying to reassure the public, the park just made even more cuts even faster.

Slashed openings, mothballed rides, shut food outlets and restaurants and what are probably the worst opening hours of any notable park. The park may be in a dark hour at the moment (as it'll take years to scrub the damage off), the way it's being dealt with may be taking an opposite effect and losing them customers.

I always believe Merlin deserve more credit for The Smiler and CBeebies then they get. Yes, The Smiler had its problems in construction and the accident has tainted the park, but in terms of its popularity and brand image, its the strongest ride at Towers since Nemesis and Oblivion. And CBeebies, despite not being too adventurous in terms of its additions being mainly rethemed rides from before, was still themed to a high standard and breathed a HUGE amount of life into that side of the park. 2013-2014 had its problems with cuts sure, but the new attractions more than made up for those imo.

Pearsons Era (1992-1998)
Arguably when the park was its peak (but probably not without it's issues) I.E the right side of Towers Street closing.

Richly themed and major additions were installed at this time including Runaway Train (1992), Haunted House (1992), Nemesis (1994), Toyland Tours, Ripsaw (1996) and Oblivion (1998).

The first park hotel was built (the first one in a UK park I believe) which was done to enhance the experience as opposed to trying to make people stay over.

Charterhouse Era 1998-2004

Pearsons acquired Towers in late 1989 IIRC, first season 1990 after massive success with building a 'proper' theme park at Chessington. Charterhouse took over in 1999 after the success of Oblivion, Port Aventurer and the acquisition of Thorpe under Pearson's reign. They did a brilliant job with everything and even though I wish they hadn't sold off the group, I think they quite rightly deserved the amount they made from it.

They were responsible for trying to turn Towers in the UK's version of Disney. Just see the parades for proof of that lol!

Interesting about the hotel too, like how we're now onto the 4th on-site accomodation option and yet the 1996 AT Hotel is still the best of all. That's also despite how much it's been ruined over the years with bad management, namely Merlin.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.