• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Sammy said:
Another amazing picture just tweeted by Alton Towers!

BCb59kNCcAA8HW0.jpg

Also from this, if you look under the track you can see where the shop looks like it opens on to the pathway behind the knot, so probably less of a tangled mess of an exit than we thought!

-Tayler

Also, going from previous information, this photo was probably taken about a week ago. Therefore I would not look to much into what has or has not taken place construction wise.

Firstly, why is it called the Staffordshire knot? Did the park officially name it this, or is it some geek thing? Its so cringeworthy its doing my head in.

Ben said:
Firstly, why is it called the Staffordshire knot? Did the park officially name it this, or is it some geek thing? Its so cringeworthy its doing my head in.

I think it's just a geek thing because it looks a bit like the actual Staffordshire Knot:

_46879160_knot226.jpg

and people needed a name for it and were too lazy to say the cobra-batwing rolls.

For the record, I don't like it either and have tried to avoid using it if possible!

You do know they missed a trick, it could of been the first coaster with a Staffordshire Knot element. :D

I assumed it was the smiler element, hence the look and name of the ride, or am I being too logical.

Anyway Im not calling it the other name, because its rubbish. So there! Yeah.

Re: Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Ben said:

Thankyou! I've been wanting to bring that point up for a while now, its an awful name... (sorry for whoever came up with it)

I would prefere to take the time to wrote cobra roll/batwing... In fact, that isn't much longer...

Ben said:
I assumed it was the smiler element, hence the look and name of the ride, or am I being too logical.

Anyway Im not calling it the other name, because its rubbish. So there! Yeah.

I'd rather call it the Staffordshire Knot than The Smiler Element...although Cobra Roll/Batwing Element will do for me.

I like the term "Staffordshire Knot", if not then referring to it as a knot is at least descriptive.

If more track doesn't appear soon it can be known as that "nice modern sculpture in X-Sector"

;)

I wonder if they're still going to release a full time lapse video once it's all finished. It could be a rather strange one with big gaps in construction! :p

You wouldn't even need a timelapse for the last 2 months. A still picture would cover it.

Wrong topic slightly, but in context - why didn't they ask Boy Scouts to build it, it seems to be based upon knots after all!

That, or marines/sailors.

I quite like the name Staffordshire Knot for that collection of elements. It just feels very suited or maybe it was because I was in the Scouts when I was younger :p

I can also see how it looks like the Smiler logo, but don't think it goes as well as a name.

What ever we call it, I hope it is as good to experience when riding, as it is to look at. Its certainly a very intimidating looking set of track, and hopefully there will be plenty of interesting viewing places, where crowds can gather to watch.

Ian

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.