• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Rob said:
Just been posted by Alton Towers on Twitter:

BGHx_SqCcAEMUG8.jpg

Understandably it doesn't look like there's been much progress since Thursday. I certainly would not say construction is continuing as normal from that image.

:)

Well, considering the lead-in to the first dive loop and first hill have been put in place, I'm quite impressed, thinking about the snowfall, actually. Although AT are clearly in a panic to get this finished before May, as when there was snow earlier this year, there was nothing been done, but now, there's clearly been a major attempt to do things.

I imagine though, now, that the track arrived so late due to the change in the plans to create the inversion record.

With all the bad luck they've had, I'm just waiting for the inevitable moment where the train stalls on the first test run! :p

Nick said:
I imagine though, now, that the track arrived so late due to the change in the plans to create the inversion record.

I don't think that is at all the reason for the delay. The track came late as it wasn't needed til late. And even after it arrived it was sitting in the car parks not doing much for a long long time. The major issues causing the original delay were with groundwork; the fact that groundwork still isn't fully complete after the original opening day shows this further.

:)

There was never a 'change in the plans' for the inversion record. That was always going to be the case.

The walls of the station will just 'slot' in, once they've got the metal framework up, they'll begin that now, before then quickly rendering the walls (hence the scaffold).

They'll be wanting to get the whole thing up before they start putting walls in the station, the complexity of the inversions etc. will be the reason for this taking 'so much longer' than Saw to be put up.

I expect if the snow is clear tomorrow, that they'll want to see the lifts being added very shortly, as well as the Marmaliser element.

They REALLY need to pull out all the stops for this now. They need to get working on working on all the small things such as getting wiring inside the station done. Its something they can do whilst its snowing. Anything that can still be done, should be done while this snow melts.

For anyone not blessed with this magnificent powder. This snow is actually very sticky, and very dense - in fact I'd say in terms of quality as an aficionado of snowy goodness, this is the highest quality we have had for a good while.

Unfortunately, it probably equates to the same compressed value as the entire week from before. This will be difficult to shift and work in. However as was pointed out, it will still only be a day or two that this is behind, and if you can't make that up over the course of a month and a half you shouldn't be in that industry.

I don't really imagine this will have too big an impact so long as it clears over the next day or two - certainly not enough for put it back to a summer opening anyway lol.

I've said all along, I just cannot believe the weather was the main culprit for this kind of delay (despite the grief I got on here for daring to suggest that ha-ha!), and I cannot really imagine this snow making too much difference.

Just get outside and build a snowman or something, we don't get decent winter weather like this very often, enjoy it for goodness sake. ;)

;D

I think the wind behind the snow was also a factor this time. In Stafford there were times when the snow was akin to little horizontal bullets of white pain :p

They do need to crack on with some of the other smaller bits, like Dave said, things like wiring and tidying the bits that are done. Not that I'm suggesting they aren't ;)

Dar said:
I think the wind behind the snow was also a factor this time. In Stafford there were times when the snow was akin to little horizontal bullets of white pain :p

They do need to crack on with some of the other smaller bits, like Dave said, things like wiring and tidying the bits that are done. Not that I'm suggesting they aren't ;)

The wind has been a factor and still remains so - perhaps they could start with repainting the bits they've clanged together? ;D

Driving home on Thursday night was like steering the Enterprise through warp drive. It was indeed snowing horizontally lol!

Scott said:
Orphan Rocker 2: The Smiler

Anyone?

Can you imagine, after all this, how much the designers will be bricking it when this thing goes around the track for the first time?

It may well get a little bit brown.

TheMan said:
Scott said:
Orphan Rocker 2: The Smiler

Anyone?

Can you imagine, after all this, how much the designers will be bricking it when this thing goes around the track for the first time?

It may well get a little bit brown.

As the train goes around the track the first time, the whole ride will cave in on itself and be pulled into the earth never to be seen again. Hell, everything else seemed to have gone against them so I'm not ruling it out... :p

"Sinkhole discovered under new Alton Towers thrill ride"

"Alton Towers' new £18m rollercoaster named 'The Smiler' has been destroyed after falling into a previously undetected sinkhole yesterday morning. The site, formerly that of dark ride Black Hole, is said to be highly unstable and extremely dangerous, and the entire area is to be closed indefinitely. The incident is thought to have been triggered by the recent excavations in the area to install concrete foundations for the ride. A team of 18 construction workers, including 2 representatives of the ride's manufacturer, were on-site at the time but there were no reported injuries"

(Team edit: this is a joke post (because google will find this and people will take it seriously)

:'(

I wouldn't even be slightly bloody surprised, and I totally had all of you going.

Bear said:
"Sinkhole discovered under new Alton Towers thrill ride"

"Alton Towers' new £18m rollercoaster named 'The Smiler' has been destroyed after falling into a previously undetected sinkhole yesterday morning. The site, formerly that of dark ride Black Hole, is said to be highly unstable and extremely dangerous, and the entire area is to be closed indefinitely. The incident is thought to have been triggered by the recent excavations in the area to install concrete foundations for the ride. A team of 18 construction workers, including 2 representatives of the ride's manufacturer, were on-site at the time but there were no reported injuries"

From Screamscape.

:'(

I wouldn't even be slightly bloody surprised, and I totally had all of you going.

You forgot to mention the excavations also revealed an alien monster, a crypt and a passage way behind an ancient bookcase.

The sinkhole was apparently caused by a backup of suppressed magic :'( :'(

Anyway, it really feels like this ride will never be built. Like, never.

Isn't it a little early for April fools? :p I see your point though. ;)
At least they have erected much of the layout. Even if the snow delays Smiler for a couple of days, it should still open in May. Like other Gerstlauers this thing is flying up.

Edit: only just noticed the tiny font at the bottom *facepalm*.

Whether the project managers at AT have made a mistake with their programming or not - AT have had some really bad luck with weather this winter. It has been a horrible, wet, windy and snowy season, which is not defending the park, but it is difficult to deny the weather has been consistently bad for about four months.

Pouring concrete in the cold and wet, lifting heavy ride components with high winds and working with a very complex design has made the whole construction process look sluggish. I have noticed that some people are saying that the park has not put enough workers on to get the thing built. :S

I imagine it is very hard to run things in parallel on site as it is a complex build with not a lot of space to play with. Plus it is in AT's interest to get the thing up, AT must be loosing a significant amount of money every day. The gate figures are down and they have the extra expense of paying for expensive contractors and equipment hire. I'm sure the construction manager is getting it in the neck daily - this isn't just a roller coaster, it is big bucks!

Can we get back on topic, also please remember google will pull up forum content so joke posts need to be obvious... Especially when fake quoting another site.

Thanks

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.