• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [SW7] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Looking at recent pictures of the pit, I am really starting to worry that they won't do anything, or have time to, make it look aesthetically pleasing.

Its a very large area that to make look good, and I don't know where any planting could go down there. I just hope they don't fill the area with a load of shale / pebbles like they do for so many American rides.

Don't judge a book by its cover! Merlin can only learn from there mistakes and if they're pulling all the stops out as it seems for this ride then give the park a chance to redeem themselves. Remember Air was a muck up of Tussauds and not Merlin.

We all know last year was a tough one for the park with all the cuts etc but it seems this year the park have realized there mistake and are investing and we need to remember its not just X Sector we are seeing investment in remember!

I think the pit is more likely to include lighting and some themed set pieces. It won't be extensively themed, as you'll be going through it too quickly to take it all in.

I think the pit will look right left as it is, it's in the same style as the pit near Oblivions drop, and perfectly industrial.

I was led to believe a few months ago from a trusted source of mine that SW7 would feature 4D effects (think marmalisation) and optical illusions, so I must admit, I'm biased towards these being the world's first... And I can't think of another coaster that features back prodders, water spray, wind and illusions?

Even if it has no secret element or something none of us have thought of, it stills looks pretty damn good!

MiserableMonkey said:
I was led to believe a few months ago from a trusted source of mine that SW7 would feature 4D effects (think marmalisation) and optical illusions, so I must admit, I'm biased towards these being the world's first... And I can't think of another coaster that features back prodders, water spray, wind and illusions?

Even if it has no secret element or something none of us have thought of, it stills looks pretty damn good!

I think it'd be too soon to introduce another set of back prodders into the park after Sub-Terra. It'd be brazen of them to put another set in SW7 and claim it as part of a "world's first." The public aren't stupid.

The Psychoaster said:
MiserableMonkey said:

I think it'd be too soon to introduce another set of back prodders into the park after Sub-Terra. It'd be brazen of them to put another set in SW7 and claim it as part of a "world's first." The public aren't stupid.

I would've agreed, however introducing two drop rides (Thirteen/Sub Terra) so close together makes me believe back prodders are small fry in comparison

It may be the cynic in me, but I'm expecting 4D effects/inversion record over any of the fancy gimmicks that have been suggested. I'd love an upside-down launch, but it seems too much to expect tbh.

Back prodders are terrible. I really hope they don't ruin a multi-million pound roller coaster with them! Seriously, the addition of a mechanism designed solely to jab you in the back or neck would kill it for me.

Who likes being sat enjoying a ride when suddenly some horrible little plastic prod sticks in the back of your neck or back? If you aren't expecting it and jolt your neck forward from being unsuspectingly poked in the back, it can hurt.

Please, just no! :'(

Edit: We also don't need our legs smacking with pieces of wire or water sprayed in our faces again either. There are already far too many terrible attractions across the UK that find it necessary to do that as it is! :/

Whilst I liked the addition of back prodders on Sub Terra, as well as the leg ticklers on that and in The Sanctuary, I just don't think they'd work on a roller coaster.

First of all, the back prodders would be ridiculously uncomfortable, especially on what is likely to be a g force machine such as SW7. Leg ticklers work better in confined spaces, so would have to only occur in the indoor section. The thing is, I'd much rather have a good dark coaster section which is all about surprise pieces of track and good quality theming than a quick shock of having your leg tickled. They work well elsewhere because they add to the effect of the overall experience.

Not only would '4D effects' be unnecessary in SW7, it could potentially make the ride worse...

A note on throughput, and unfortunately the ride will be nowhere near 1800pph in terms of capacity.

Based on the marketing material, the ride-time is approximately 165 seconds. So if there are only 4 trains, there can only be a maximum of 64 riders (4 x 16) dispatched every 165 seconds.

So in an hour (3600 seconds) there are only 3600 / 165 = 21.8 cycles of 165 seconds.

And 21.8 x 64 = 1395 approximate hourly capacity.

This crude calculation also requires that one train is instantaneously unloaded/loaded and dispatched. Highly unlikely, as this will take around 30 - 60 seconds (best guess to do this).

So for one train to be dispatched, complete the circuit and unload/load and dispatch again, this would take approximately 165 + 45 = 210 seconds. So this is the ride-time cycle, and the ride will process 64 riders approximately every 210 seconds.

So in an hour there are only 3600 / 210 = 17.14 cycles of 210 seconds.

And 17.14 x 64 = 1097 approximate hourly capacity.

The throughput of this ride (based on the current information available) is limited to the number of trains and ride time. So I would guess it will be around the 1100 to 1200 mark, depending on how quickly they can dispatch those trains!

The world first statement is still being used on the website. You can't just quickly change the design of the ride by removing part of it in the timeframe some people have suggested. Logic dictates that there was never going to be an expensive piece of Thirteen-style hardware given that this will have been an expensive coaster if it were just from the bits we can see of the plans.

The construction images cover a series of inversions which will form part of a record-breaking number of inversions. That in itself is a 'secret element' in the sense it's an aspect of the ride they want to remain secret. I think the only other possibility of a world's first claim could be the train design, but I'm not expecting that.

I believe Alton Towers now identify all of their major rides as 'world beating' in the sense that most normal speaking people would say 'world class'.

Yeah there still claming it has a world first. Even when i rang to inguire the rides open date the automatic hold messages said 'SW7 the world first opening March 2013' I really don't think what Towers Times are hiding on their picture is the secret element. I don't really think there will be one. Well only time will tell i guess.

Nemesis94 said:
A note on throughput, and unfortunately the ride will be nowhere near 1800pph in terms of capacity.

Based on the marketing material, the ride-time is approximately 165 seconds. So if there are only 4 trains, there can only be a maximum of 64 riders (4 x 16) dispatched every 165 seconds.

Why would there be only four trains? I'd imagine there'd be four 'active' trains at any one time, but at least two more would be in the station at that time reloading. You'd want a train between in each block and some in the station, I'd guess at 6 trains on track.

pluk said:
Nemesis94 said:

Why would there be only four trains? I'd imagine there'd be four 'active' trains at any one time, but at least two more would be in the station at that time reloading. You'd want a train between in each block and some in the station, I'd guess at 6 trains on track.

One of the original press releases stated the ride had a capacity of 64 riders. Which accounts for 4 trains of 16 riders each. Read the news article here: http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2012/sw7-ride-information-goes-national/

The marketing is very peculiar.

World First still hanging about? I stand by my acceleration guess as very little else makes sense. The inversion record will be hard without some gimmick track like Colossus (hate them!) or... I cannot believe I am saying this... the Washing.... mach.... ine....

Please no.

Why did TT even take it down? It's speculation it makes no sense. No one here would remove a speculative guess. It could be fun I guess, I just find it strange that they took it down.

They did take it down didn't they?

Why?

TheMan said:
The marketing is very peculiar.

World First still hanging about? I stand by my acceleration guess as very little else makes sense. The inversion record will be hard without some gimmick track like Colossus (hate them!) or... I cannot believe I am saying this... the Washing.... mach.... ine....

Please no.

Why did TT even take it down? It's speculation it makes no sense. No one here would remove a speculative guess. It could be fun I guess, I just find it strange they took it down.

It could be something to do with intensity though? Like I said a few pages back, perhaps this ride could be the most intense coaster on Earth by sustaining high G-force for longer than any other ride? Marketing could do a lot with "the world's most intense/forceful roller coaster".

Nothing too much though or it could become uncomfortable as the ride ages.

Ha ha taking Gerst ache to a whole new level. Maybe that's the world first? ;)

Well if it ages badly like a few others, at least go all-out to make it the most painful ride in existence! No point in being second worst! :p

(For anyone that thinks I'm serious about that, I actually enjoy Saw.)

Nemesis94 said:
pluk said:
Nemesis94 said:

One of the original press releases stated the ride had a capacity of 64 riders. Which accounts for 4 trains of 16 riders each. Read the news article here: http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2012/sw7-ride-information-goes-national/

Actually it says:
...64 people per ride.
so this could still mean 4 active cars & 2 loading? I think the track is too long to have only 4 trains - 6 would be about right.

I agree with your throughput calculations however.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.